Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:13 am 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 268
Location: Central Ohio
A review of The Falcate Idol from Purple Duck Games, written by Daniel Bishop has been posted at The Iron Tavern. Looks like a promising new line from Purple Duck Games!

Review: The Falcate Idol


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:06 am 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am
Posts: 2800
Thank you for your kind words.

If there is a chance you could link the review to the RPG Now site, that would be super-cool!

_________________
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:10 am 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 268
Location: Central Ohio
Raven_Crowking wrote:
Thank you for your kind words.

If there is a chance you could link the review to the RPG Now site, that would be super-cool!


I like the niche this new product line fills! Looking forward to others.

I can't leave an RPG Now review as I received my review copy outside of RPG Now.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:37 am 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am
Posts: 2800
Okay, thanks!

I'm glad you enjoyed the product, and I really appreciate the review.

The third of the series is in the review process, and I am working on the fourth. There is an expectation of about 15. If they are well received (and thus far, they have been!) there could be more after that, depending upon how the publisher feels, of course.

The CE series got its genesis in my home game, like most of the things I write do. I needed stuff like this, so I figured others might need similar stuff. I had a talk (via email) with the very good folks at Purple Duck Games, and here we are.

_________________
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:43 am 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 268
Location: Central Ohio
Raven_Crowking wrote:
The CE series got its genesis in my home game, like most of the things I write do. I needed stuff like this, so I figured others might need similar stuff. I had a talk (via email) with the very good folks at Purple Duck Games, and here we are.


I was able to figure out where Falcate Idol fit in my game within minutes of starting to read it. My players had been asking how they could accomplish a couple of things, and the Falcate Idol offered a great way for them to have a chance at accomplishing that. I love it when a product drops in so easily.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:52 am 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am
Posts: 2800
Then it pretty well did what it was intended to do. :mrgreen:

_________________
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:36 am 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 268
Location: Central Ohio
A review of The Black Goat from Purple Duck Games written by Daniel Bishop has been posted at The Iron Tavern.

Review: The Black Goat


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:05 am 
Offline
Mighty-Thewed Reaver
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:05 pm
Posts: 311
Location: Fremont, CA
IronWolf wrote:
A review of The Black Goat from Purple Duck Games written by Daniel Bishop has been posted at The Iron Tavern.

Review: The Black Goat


I enjoyed the review IronWolf and I had a great time with the Black Goat with my campaign. It really is a testament to the CE series so far as to just how easy it is to spice up what would have been a somewhat mundane travel sequence. As mentioned in another thread, my players reaction to the silence of the pass was just awesome. How many times do you get a party essentially whispering around the table in reverence? haha Now that it has been introduced, I know my players will go back again and again with reasons of their own making, but some rumors to jog a few ideas of your own as provided make it even easier to throw the players a bone (so to speak).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:01 pm 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:14 am
Posts: 471
Location: Cube Farm of Alien Geometry
I went ahead and bought all three of the CE series.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:40 pm 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am
Posts: 2800
cthulhudarren wrote:
I went ahead and bought all three of the CE series.


Thanks.

The idea behind the CE series is to give elements that everyone can use within their campaigns....relatively small locations that can be played in a single session if desired, as well as extra "Quest for It" materials - oracular sources, chances to gain special powers, patrons, gods, places to learn spells. Treasure maps appear in a lot of old school products, and have already appeared in DCC products, so the CE series also tries to give judges places that those maps can lead to. Most of these areas have enough stuff going on to draw the PCs back over the course of a campaign. All of them are intended to have material that can be used beyond the initial "adventure" the module is used for.

I believe that you should get a minimum of 2 hours play time out of each hour of prep you do. I have tried to follow that mantra with my written work...for each dollar you spend, there needs to be a minimum of $2 value. And I hope that there is far more value than that for most judges.

CE 1: With a focus on thieves, this short adventure gives a moderate level solo thief or halfling a chance to pull off a major heist. Materials are supplied of great interest to wizards and elves. A Neutral deity is introduced fitting for use with clerics.

CE 2: With a focus on wizards and elves, this short adventure adds a new patron, a new patron spell, and some good opportunities for role-playing. There is also considerable treasure if the party is both bold and powerful. Should the judge need to seed information or adventure hooks, means are given. Should the party be seeking specific information, CE2 offers an oracle.

CE 3: A swamp-based location with a non-human cult, a hidden treasure (judges who wish to supply treasure maps to their players take note!), opportunities for strange alliances, and a backdrop onto which more adventures can easily be devised. The setting can be used in conjunction with the Sunken City modules by Jon Marr (Purple Sorcerer), who had a chance to read and comment on the module, and gave permission to suggest its use with the Sunken City in Purple Duck's ad copy. (And, really, if you don't have all of Jon Marr's modules, why don't you?!?!)

CE 4: Upcoming. With a focus on warriors, this module offers the Seven Deadly Skills of Sir Amoral the Bastard, a chance for wizards and elves to learn spells, new monsters usable elsewhere by the judge, a suggested dungeon expansion, and an inconvenient oracle.

CE 5 to CE 15: ?????? In progress. Part of the process is going through the rule book and seeing where the judge is likely to need extra material, but where the extra material is not necessarily easy to produce. Basically, the whole series is to save the judge's bacon when he needs certain types of material fast, to do it with enough panache that the players want to return to the materials repeatedly, and to give the judge the time and leeway to do his own thing. Every CE encourages the judge to use the materials creatively. The core rulebook gives a lot of areas where judges are encouraged to exercise their own creativity; we have tried to do the same here.

Basically, this is a product I saw a need for in my home game. Since I was going to write this stuff anyway, I thought others might be interested, and Purple Duck's Mark Gedak agreed.

_________________
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:10 am 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:14 am
Posts: 471
Location: Cube Farm of Alien Geometry
Raven_Crowking wrote:
cthulhudarren wrote:
I went ahead and bought all three of the CE series.


Thanks.

The idea behind the CE series is to give elements that everyone can use within their campaigns....relatively small locations that can be played in a single session if desired, as well as extra "Quest for It" materials - oracular sources, chances to gain special powers, patrons, gods, places to learn spells. Treasure maps appear in a lot of old school products, and have already appeared in DCC products, so the CE series also tries to give judges places that those maps can lead to. Most of these areas have enough stuff going on to draw the PCs back over the course of a campaign. All of them are intended to have material that can be used beyond the initial "adventure" the module is used for.

I believe that you should get a minimum of 2 hours play time out of each hour of prep you do. I have tried to follow that mantra with my written work...for each dollar you spend, there needs to be a minimum of $2 value. And I hope that there is far more value than that for most judges.

CE 1: With a focus on thieves, this short adventure gives a moderate level solo thief or halfling a chance to pull off a major heist. Materials are supplied of great interest to wizards and elves. A Neutral deity is introduced fitting for use with clerics.

CE 2: With a focus on wizards and elves, this short adventure adds a new patron, a new patron spell, and some good opportunities for role-playing. There is also considerable treasure if the party is both bold and powerful. Should the judge need to seed information or adventure hooks, means are given. Should the party be seeking specific information, CE2 offers an oracle.

CE 3: A swamp-based location with a non-human cult, a hidden treasure (judges who wish to supply treasure maps to their players take note!), opportunities for strange alliances, and a backdrop onto which more adventures can easily be devised. The setting can be used in conjunction with the Sunken City modules by Jon Marr (Purple Sorcerer), who had a chance to read and comment on the module, and gave permission to suggest its use with the Sunken City in Purple Duck's ad copy. (And, really, if you don't have all of Jon Marr's modules, why don't you?!?!)

CE 4: Upcoming. With a focus on warriors, this module offers the Seven Deadly Skills of Sir Amoral the Bastard, a chance for wizards and elves to learn spells, new monsters usable elsewhere by the judge, a suggested dungeon expansion, and an inconvenient oracle.

CE 5 to CE 15: ?????? In progress. Part of the process is going through the rule book and seeing where the judge is likely to need extra material, but where the extra material is not necessarily easy to produce. Basically, the whole series is to save the judge's bacon when he needs certain types of material fast, to do it with enough panache that the players want to return to the materials repeatedly, and to give the judge the time and leeway to do his own thing. Every CE encourages the judge to use the materials creatively. The core rulebook gives a lot of areas where judges are encouraged to exercise their own creativity; we have tried to do the same here.

Basically, this is a product I saw a need for in my home game. Since I was going to write this stuff anyway, I thought others might be interested, and Purple Duck's Mark Gedak agreed.


But what about Shanthopal? :( That's my biggest need! I need a complete pantheon spec'd to DCC for my game. With all the cleric trimmings


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:32 am 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 268
Location: Central Ohio
The Iron Tavern reviews The Folk of Osmon from Purple Duck Games and written by Daniel Bishop. Written as part of the Campaign Elements line, it is another great offering in the series.

Review: The Folk of Osmon


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:46 am 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am
Posts: 2800
Thank you, once again, for your kind words.

_________________
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:08 am 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 268
Location: Central Ohio
The Iron Tavern reviews The Seven Deadly Skills of Sir Amoral the Misbegotten the latest in the Campaign Elements line from Purple Duck Games, authored by Daniel Bishop.

Review: The Seven Deadly Skills of Sir Amoral the Misbegotten


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:55 am 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 268
Location: Central Ohio
@SavageGM tells the tale of running 7 DCC RPG games at DragonCon on his quest for the World Tour Belt Buckle!

DragonCon DCC RPG Road Crew Report ...A cautionary tale of pushing your limits.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:04 am 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:14 am
Posts: 471
Location: Cube Farm of Alien Geometry
IronWolf wrote:
@SavageGM tells the tale of running 7 DCC RPG games at DragonCon on his quest for the World Tour Belt Buckle!

DragonCon DCC RPG Road Crew Report ...A cautionary tale of pushing your limits.



Well done SavageGM!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:25 am 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 268
Location: Central Ohio
Running a longer term DCC RPG campaign is a frequent question I see asked in various social media networks. I talk a little about running a DCC campaign at The Iron Tavern:

http://irontavern.com/2013/11/05/dungeo ... campaigns/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:32 am 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 268
Location: Central Ohio
A review of Purple Duck Games most recent release in the Campaign Elements series, Silent Nightfall, has been posted. Another great addition to the CE line.

http://irontavern.com/2013/11/27/review ... nightfall/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:07 am 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 268
Location: Central Ohio
I posted a mini-review of Purple Duck Games compilation of AL1-AL5. In addition to the five adventures being in one product, a framework is provided to link them into a campaign arc for levels 1st through 3rd.

http://irontavern.com/2014/01/22/mini-r ... e-falling/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:16 am 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am
Posts: 2800
Kind words. Thank you.

_________________
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group