Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: First session funnel
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:23 pm 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:30 am
Posts: 15
Location: NC, USA
My group played our first game tonight. 10 of 18 characters survived the Portal funnel. I ran the game as everyone started in Saxon England as humans, and the portal moved while the party was inside. In the dungeon, the demi-humans started to have manifestations of their new forms, but it wasn't until they stepped out of the portal that they became their new race (along with the armor of the elf shifting into mithril). They stepped out of the dungeon into a new world they have never seen--which also means we didn't have to worry about player's knowing anything about the world.

Everyone seemed to have fun watching their pool of characters dwindle, but we did wind up with a strange party in the end. None of the characters who were left had a high enough Intelligence to make a good Wizard, so the party heading in to Level 1 is made up of 1 elf, 2 halflings, 2 clerics, 1 rogue, and 2 warriors. The players are a little nervous about this group composition, and I (as GM) am a little sad about not seeing more corruption chances, but I think we'll make the best of it.

-Berc

_________________
http://onfirstblank.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First session funnel
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:46 pm 
Offline
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:34 pm
Posts: 715
Location: Győr, Hungary
Nice way to begin your campaign.

Bercilak wrote:
None of the characters who were left had a high enough Intelligence to make a good Wizard, so the party heading in to Level 1 is made up of 1 elf, 2 halflings, 2 clerics, 1 rogue, and 2 warriors. The players are a little nervous about this group composition, and I (as GM) am a little sad about not seeing more corruption chances, but I think we'll make the best of it.

I wouldn't bother, every class has enough fun elements and mechanics to make things interestings. Clerics have deity requests and disapproval. :wink:

_________________
Current campaign: Terminus DCC RPG


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First session funnel
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:50 pm 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:41 pm
Posts: 2695
Location: San Jose, CA
Cool idea for a starting world. I like the way you limited PC knowledge and integrated demi-humans.

In regards to the wizard pool, did any of the characters have an Int that would make for a "passable" wizard? I have tried to get my players out of the habit of assuming every character has to be optimized for the class. No one wants to play a totally gimpy wizard, but an "okay" wizard with Int 11, 10, even 9 can still be a decent character.

_________________
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First session funnel
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:25 am 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:42 am
Posts: 2263
Location: Chicago suburbs
Bercilak wrote:
My group played our first game tonight. 10 of 18 characters survived the Portal funnel.
That's a pretty good percentage. I don't think I've ever run an adventure for zeroes where more than half survived.

_________________
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11
Image
DCC RPG playtester 2011, C&C playtester 2003,T&T since 2003,
ADRP Since 1993, OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First session funnel
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:42 am 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 2167
finarvyn wrote:
Bercilak wrote:
My group played our first game tonight. 10 of 18 characters survived the Portal funnel.
That's a pretty good percentage. I don't think I've ever run an adventure for zeroes where more than half survived.


I have.

The first time I ran Portal Under the Stars, only 2 PCs were lost. They did sacrifice a lot of livestock, though.

The second time, no one made it past the third encounter.

_________________
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First session funnel
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:15 am 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:27 pm
Posts: 275
I ran a solo dungeon the other night for a friend and let him roll 10 characters. By the end of it, only two were left.

_________________
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First session funnel
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:23 am 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:30 am
Posts: 15
Location: NC, USA
goodmangames wrote:
In regards to the wizard pool, did any of the characters have an Int that would make for a "passable" wizard? I have tried to get my players out of the habit of assuming every character has to be optimized for the class. No one wants to play a totally gimpy wizard, but an "okay" wizard with Int 11, 10, even 9 can still be a decent character.


Aside from the demi-humans, whose classes were locked by their occupation roll, we only had one character with a 9 Int, but he was also a Seventh Son with a negative Luck modifier. :lol:

I still have an elf to kick around with the corruption rules, I suppose.

Berc

_________________
http://onfirstblank.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First session funnel
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:41 pm 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:46 am
Posts: 122
One of my players has a warrior with only a modest strength. He has good luck, though, so that contributes with his chosen weapon. He's clever with the deeds so he does just fine..

_________________
...unless the judge rules otherwise.

Steven Thivierge
Playtester and additional design for:DCC RPG.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First session funnel
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:53 pm 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:05 pm
Posts: 261
Location: Central Vermont
When I get a high constitution score, I immediately check to see if I'm smart enough to be a marginal wizard. I don't have enough DCC experience, but in most systems I find that it is actually the wizard's hit points, not spell adjustments for intelligence, that determine effectiveness and survivability.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First session funnel
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:49 pm 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:46 am
Posts: 122
meinvt wrote:
When I get a high constitution score, I immediately check to see if I'm smart enough to be a marginal wizard. I don't have enough DCC experience, but in most systems I find that it is actually the wizard's hit points, not spell adjustments for intelligence, that determine effectiveness and survivability.


This strategy will work well in DCC, since your not limited to a certain number of spells per level. There's a cap to the highest level you can cast, but you can stock up on lower levels spells, and still get decent effects on a high spell roll.

_________________
...unless the judge rules otherwise.

Steven Thivierge
Playtester and additional design for:DCC RPG.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group