Fairytale encounters

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Fairytale encounters

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

I'm planning a 0-level funnel adventure for my daughter. Premise is you play a gaggle of awakened
animals/plants/
objects enchanted
by an evil but lonely witch and need to escape her cottage in the wood. Survivors
go on to be the
talking animal heroes of fairytales. I need a
few encounters for the would-be heroes as they escape, beside the witch herself.

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Fairytale encounters

Post by GnomeBoy »

Stairs that open up to reveal a hidden chamber/level.

Closet of cast off, nearly-wondrous items. (Single-use magic items?)

The house cat(s) stalking them...

The "secret" passage inside the (burning) fire place.

Window shutters and screen doors, flapping in the wind, making an exit in the normal ways dangerous.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Murlynd
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Murlynd »

Near the back door is a garbage bin. From it there is a scrapping sound. Something stuck in there? Something heavy settling? Strange.

Roll to see what it is:

1. Half eaten cookie that might once have been a gingerbread man, with crusty edges that are sharper than they should be!
2. A failed attempt at making a voodoo doll. Turned out quite nice instead. The doll made from kid yarn and dandelion leaves likes to chat about everything, while oblivious to danger.
3. Five crumpled up balls of spell book paper bump and jostle about quite randomly, with a little more speed and strength for every time they bumble into any particular living thing. Save or luck to avoid the bumbling juggling crumpled spell paper balls.
4. An old worn out shoe... off a witch's left foot! Limps leaving a trail of noxious looking fungus growths. Don't let it touch you!
5. The garbage bin is really one of the witches favorite things! So many good items go into it. She has placed a bright blue toad that sits on an broken tea saucer that questions anyone peering into the trove of apple cores and old cotton balls. If they answer in any way that it dislikes, it springs out noisily in defense. Its touch causes warty protrusions to sprout from living things.
6. A worn out quill sits quivering atop the pile that leaps out, attempting to write all over the interlopers face! The words are all in some strange language, and all the while the quill murmurs that it is only writing nice things. Sort of stings while it is doing it, though. The quill is quite difficult to catch, but can be left to its devices, with a small penalty for the stinging sensation.
7. The witch's spare 5th favorite spare nose that she just found too out of fashion. Moves by sneezing snotty goo! Gross
8. The interior of the garbage bin is spotless, in contrasts to the thoughtful clutter to disaster area of the rest of the cottage. Characters that get near to the bin are beset by a pair of small hand brooms, which can be waved away, but they return again like annoying flies. The brooms continue this behavior until the character makes a luck check.
Ducaster
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Athena Games Norwich.

Post by Ducaster »

May I offer "the scroll librarian" from an old 0 level I wrote some time ago:

Basically this is a stick figure of animated scrolls that inhabits a Library of sorts that strictly enforced the "One scroll per patron!" rule. It does no damage but would pursue any "Offenders" hitting them with a rolled up scroll (think newspaper swatting). If a player "borrows" more than one scroll/book etc it would assemble and pursue them.

it is AC20 to Hit but 1 hp dispels it though ti reforms fairly quickly. While it is berating a target they suffer a -2 on all actions from the distraction.
{Standard Disclaimer} If it was mentioned already and I missed it, please put this down to my advanced age and senility rather than discourtesy!
My DCC games work site is here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/?page_id=1869 Use my forum name here as the Password
Mutatis Mundi Game Cha sheet here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/wp-cont ... 3.4.18.pdf
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Here's the compilation of what I gleaned from Facebook:
Jenna Howard: Maybe other woodland creatures the witch has as familiars? Like a rugged old cat or crow is what comes to mind. Maybe some super whimpy goblins too?

ᚠᛖᚾᚱᛁᛋ ᚢᛚᚠᚺᚨᛗᚱ: Failed/forgotten experiments may have special enmity for the characters... I like...

David Schmitz: Tiamat, Cthulu, an army of Beholders ought to keep them occupied. ;-)

ᚠᛖᚾᚱᛁᛋ ᚢᛚᚠᚺᚨᛗᚱ: ...still gonna use it- in the form of phantasms conjured from an open spellbook

Martin Bourne: A dryad who doesn't want such rogue magics escaping into the forests.

The rats who live under the cottage.

Maybe the witch has a guard cauldron that can suck the magical essence from rogue artifacts/familiars.
I'm thinking dingpot from the original banjo kazooie game.

Paweł Jagłowski: Ants and their queen denying passage unless bribed
ᚠᛖᚾᚱᛁᛋ ᚢᛚᚠᚺᚨᛗᚱ: I'm gonna use this, but keep em tiny ants who gained sentience scavenging the witch's spilled elixers

Now I'm trying to come up with a table for the random zeroes with animal/plant/objects found in the witch's hovel in lieu of occupations. So far I have:
Animals: Cat, bat, rat/mouse, fox, crow,toad/frog, newt/lizard, pig, dog, etc. basically any small familiar type or domestic animal.
Plants: Pumpkin/gourd, flower, mandragora... need ideas for this one.
Objects: Broom, doll, candle... not really inspired here yet either.
I'm trying to keep these as expendable things a witch would have easy access to that might make interesting companions if awakened. I'm considering skeletons but wanna keep 'em 0-level underpowered.

Anything jump out at anyone?

Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I am going to suggest a gander at the Appendix M blog for inspiration.

https://appendixm.blogspot.com/2018/05/ant-folk.html

Also consider some of the Sanctum Secorum podcast companions, which are free on RPG Now. Particularly useful might be:

http://dcctreasures.blogspot.ca/2018/05 ... anion.html
https://dcctreasures.blogspot.ca/2018/0 ... anion.html
http://dcctreasures.blogspot.ca/2018/05 ... anion.html

and The Book of Three.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Hail, and thanks for contributing- I'm almost done! I'd like to publish it when finished as a free adventure, and want to credit each of you for your part. My plan, with permission, is to scramble the letters of your name (or use a derivative of forum handle) and integrate it into some part you contributed, and officially credit your idea in the forward. Please let me know your thoughts, and thank you!

!..!
Fenris

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Sounds cool. :)

You can scramble my forum handle or my pen (and ink) name: bygrinstow
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Oh, I have something special in mind for YOU, sir! Mwahahahaha...

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Can't wait to see it!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Fenris Ulfhamr wrote:Oh, I have something special in mind for YOU, sir! Mwahahahaha...
Sounds perfectly ominous... :mrgreen:

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Here's a few sketches of stuff I'm working on- just brainstorming- so. There are lists, tables, a few altered spells, new race/occupation options and more! I hope this will be something can be used to inject/explain some weirdness in your campaign world- or just be a fun one-and-done! I am literally paralyzed by indecision often, or buried by my workload, but here's a sneak peak so you know I'm at it!
https://www.facebook.com/FenrisUlfhamr/ ... 294&type=3
Last edited by Fenris Ulfhamr on Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

...7-mile long link not working for me... Leads to a page that says "no photos to show".

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

GnomeBoy wrote:...7-mile long link not working for me... Leads to a page that says "no photos to show".
Fixed!

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

I dig the goblin and the crowking.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The sketches are cool......Waiting for the finished product with baited breath.

Which is a problem, because fish keep jumping into my mouth.
SoBH pbp:

Return to “Judges' Forum”