Creative applications for Divinating NPC's

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

shawman
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: i dont have one

Creative applications for Divinating NPC's

Post by shawman »

Hello!

Im working on a funnel campaign of my own design in which PC's have to visit a local shaman for guidance into their soon to be funnel encounter. I am trying to brainstorm some ideas for how to have the PC's interact with a 'divining' character that can implore random dice rolls that determine the choices PC's have for their next step in the encounter.

One obvious idea would be to make a divining table that players roll on with a d20.

I would like to design something a little more alternative to this. Maybe I will use a real tarot card, or perhaps make people drop sticks on the table that could reference an element in the story of the encounter.

Maybe some people on this forum have had fortune telling characters in their encounters? anyone here implement and get creative with something like this? Looking for inspiration!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Creative applications for Divinating NPC's

Post by GnomeBoy »

I'm not clear if you're asking for ideas on how to organize divination for play, or just in ways to simulate divination....

You could gloss over exactly what is revealed during the divination, and just give the players a blank check they can cash whenever they choose. "What's this monster's weakness? It's fire? That's what the old man told me? Okay, guys -- get the torches lit!" In this way the players can ask for info that represents the divination that the characters were party to, and act accordingly.

You could also create a list, like the lists of 'rumors' that start off some modules, and dish those out during the divination session. Then it's up to your players to decide to keep track of that and figure out how to use it.

...Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
shawman
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: i dont have one

Post by shawman »

yea! like for instance I was thinking of using a Tarot card set and setting meanings for certain cards that would decide the actions of the PC's depending on what kind of fortune was drawn.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I'd avoid anything that 'decides the actions of the PCs' — the players should be the ones deciding the action of the PCs.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GnomeBoy wrote:I'd avoid anything that 'decides the actions of the PCs' — the players should be the ones deciding the action of the PCs.
+1d24.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “Judges' Forum”