Phylactery of the Soul

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Zargon
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Phylactery of the Soul

Post by Zargon »

Through the use of this spell does the Wizard gain the hit die of the body he inhabits, or does he retain his class die as he levels? Furthermore, if he then 'dies', (thereupon returning in soul to the phylactery) does his familiar unbind, or is it tied to the Wizard's soul?
Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!
jrodman
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: Phylactery of the Soul

Post by jrodman »

If I hadn't thought about it, I would probably just give them the same stats and somehow handwave that the magic of the occupation molds the body to match (perhaps over a bit of time).

However, I like the idea of some variation. You could take it further; will the body have the same strength as the original? Does the brain of the body have an effect? For some reason I feel Luck should not ever change via this process.

As for familiars, I would probably choose differently along the lines of how deep is the familiar bond (time, power, emotive connection).
Zargon
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Phylactery of the Soul

Post by Zargon »

Thanks for your input. I too think some variation should be involved, and that Luck should remain a deeper cosmic connection untouched by the ritual of the soul phylactery. I am now self possessed of the belief that the stats that represent the physical body should be that of the host. Yet, the metaphysical like Luck, HD, INT, and PER should indeed remain constants.

As for the familiar I am now becoming more confident over time that it too, falls into this latter category. To me I think these are the mythological variant of a soul mate tethered to the wizard through a history akin to which Aristophanes explains in the Symposium.
Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!

Return to “Judges' Forum”