Alkivasha DCC Patron

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Alkivasha DCC Patron

Post by DCCfan »

This is a patron I developed over time in my home campaign. The game has become inactive because of work schedules. I did a patron swap with a member from the forums and received some good advice about making Alkivasha better. The original intent was to create a beholder combined with an ooze. However upon reflection I think that I have half of two patrons combined into one. I have started to separate the two halves and finish them off as two new patrons. This will take awhile since I'm only working on it in my spare time and I don't have much lately. I'm posting the original Alkivasha for your enjoyment. Let me know what you think.
Attachments
Alkivasha DCC Patron.zip
(99.88 KiB) Downloaded 988 times
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
DCCfan

Re: Alkivasha DCC Patron

Post by DCCfan »

Does anyone that downloaded this patron have any feedback?
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I'll try to give it a lookover later this week, and give you some feedback on the weekend.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I've had a busier weekend than expected. The flavour text works well. More on the meat and potatoes when I have a chance.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Zargon
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Zargon »

I am personally fond of what you've done here, incorporating one of the most iconic and beloved of creatures in fantasy rpg into a DCC patron. :) I too think the journal entry makes good background, and is indeed slightly reminiscent of HP Lovecraft... One thing I am unclear of however is Alkivasha's role as patron. If he was a human, and became the mad thrall of the first eye, then shouldn't that unnamed aberration be the true patron? After all, I believe the core book states (implies maybe?) that humans, (i.e. PC's) never become patrons, I'm looking at you Van Der Danderclanden. In any case patrons are always supernatural entities, and occasionally lesser deities, minor enough to deign consortium with mortals.

Anyway, I think you did a really fine job, and placed a lot of thought in composing the various spells, patron taints, bond results etc. The only thing that remains for me is to insert an NPC of Alkivasha's into the scenario for one of the characters to encounter, and hopefully :twisted: , place themselves under the domination of the first eye...
Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!
DCCfan

Post by DCCfan »

Thank you for the kind words. I can see how that is confusing. The Mage Alkivasha was the first human to make contact with the patron long ago. He started the first cults and did his patrons bidding until his death. Over the ages the cult of the first eye fell out of favor. The name Alkivasha was mistakenly translated and used to describe the first eye in recent times. The patron prefers to keep his true name a secret and never bothered to correct this new generation of worshipers. He is now Alkivasha.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Zargon wrote:After all, I believe the core book states (implies maybe?) that humans, (i.e. PC's) never become patrons, I'm looking at you Van Der Danderclanden.
Tell that to Sezreken.

:twisted: :D
SoBH pbp:

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
Zargon wrote:After all, I believe the core book states (implies maybe?) that humans, (i.e. PC's) never become patrons, I'm looking at you Van Der Danderclanden.
Tell that to Sezreken.

:twisted: :D
Or not. He is cranky about his humble, mortal origins...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Zargon
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Zargon »

I actually like that bit of backstory. It perpetuates the notion that the secret of tyrants lies in subjugation through ignorance. Language is a powerful lively, and mystical medium. Only with the passage of time do old words, meanings, names and reputations transfer themselves to new and often contradictory existences. Something of nither-worldly origin, something that was nearly timeless would surely take advantage of this natural trait of mortal thralls, how much better to disguise true purpose, to encrypt knowledge, and obfuscate the true pronunciations of an arcane spell?! :twisted: "Oh great and awful, vile lord, we propitiate thee!" how much more efficient to maintain the rod and wield the lash then to utilize the naturally existing channels offered across generations of mortal slaves?

I actually forgot about Sezreken, who is indeed a patron. In my mind of minds patrons are always otherworldly beings, not just older and more powerful wizards. Entities like Nagash and Vecna similarly transcended their mortal vessels, such arcane exoduses are indeed fascinating and full of power. I think it would be even more interesting if the peasant born mortal was merely a phase in the existence of something extra-dimensional that numbers its passing existence not in the birth of spring seasons, but in the death of stars. :shock:
Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Don't forget that the core rules suggest that ghosts might be patrons; I used this idea in Prince Charming, Reanimator and Creeping Beauties of the Wood.
SoBH pbp:

Return to “Judges' Forum”