All good things must ecentually come to an end

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

All good things must ecentually come to an end

Post by Skars »

Sadly, today I had to put my Isle of the Unknown DCC campaign on the shelf. We had a blast and had the pleasure of play testing some of the latest Third party resources. There is some seriously awesome stuff released in 2013 already and more to come!

But, this thread is about that lump in the back of the throat when you have to call a campaign quits for a while. In our case, summertime scheduling hit hard and it got to be me preparing and anticipating for game time only to need cancelling or running with a skeleton crew (which I personally don't mind).

How do you guys read the tea leaves and know when to bow out gracefuly?
NJPDX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: All good things must ecentually come to an end

Post by NJPDX »

Skars wrote:Sadly, today I had to put my Isle of the Unknown DCC campaign on the shelf. We had a blast and had the pleasure of play testing some of the latest Third party resources. There is some seriously awesome stuff released in 2013 already and more to come!

But, this thread is about that lump in the back of the throat when you have to call a campaign quits for a while. In our case, summertime scheduling hit hard and it got to be me preparing and anticipating for game time only to need cancelling or running with a skeleton crew (which I personally don't mind).

How do you guys read the tea leaves and know when to bow out gracefuly?
Summertime has pretty much always been down-time for me since adulthood. Generally speaking though, if a third or more of your gaming group can't make the commitment it's probably time to wind down and it shouldn't be too hard to put something on the back burner or switch to a different campaign (or another game altogether) if you still have people that want to get together and do something.
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

As a youngster, Summer was the season of gaming. But as the years rolled on, and cars and girls entered the picture, for some reason my friends weren't as interested in 18 hour marathon gaming sessions packed together in a funky-smelling teen mob. ;)

As an adult, with family activities and vacation, Summer has definitely always proved a campaign killer, which is one reason I've always looked forward to the crisp arrival of Fall! And since this is DCC, there's always a chance you can roll the body over in late September and get things going again. :)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

hah thanks guys! I think the next chapter will be a g+ game and when fall is in full swing I can get the face to face game back up and rolling. For now, time to unleash a little dcc-gamma world mayhem I have had burning in my mind lately :mrgreen:
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Skars wrote:hah thanks guys! I think the next chapter will be a g+ game and when fall is in full swing I can get the face to face game back up and rolling. For now, time to unleash a little dcc-gamma world mayhem I have had burning in my mind lately :mrgreen:
Glad to know it's not just me who has the urge to blend Gamma World with everything lately... :twisted:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Gammathulu!
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

tovokas wrote:Gammathulu!
"GammaPunk 2020" is the idea that made my brain explode recently...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

Our campaigns always peter out over the summers, too. Most of us are older, with kids who are involved in sports which take up almost every minute of free time in the months of May, June and the early part of July. When I was a kid, most of us played sports, but it was for fun and the coaches didn't expect it to be the central focus of our lives and our parents lives like they do today. Ahh, but I digress.

I used to try to squeeze games in during those months, but I have found it to be a very frustrating exercise in futility. When I used to try, I could rarely get more than a single game session where everyone can make it (I also have 11 people playing my 3E campaign and 6 playing my DCC campaign right now with only three of them are under 35, so you can imagine the scheduling nightmare it can be). I now just let it die out every year in mid to late May, and then start sending emails out in mid August to try to get back on track. I usually know it's time when people start asking me when am I going to schedule another game.
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

These days summers require much more effort to keep the campaign going. I blame the longer days of sunlight more than anything else though. Realistically we probably have fewer things scheduled in the evenings. But with it staying later out, the kids stay up later, no school, we walk the dog later, or just run errands later into the evening.

The shorter days of fall will likely lead to more predictable schedules, which is a good thing for gaming.

With that said - my online DCC game has been going strong even with summer hours, and so has my local game (though we aren't playing DCC :( )
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I tend to run a new campaign every 6-9 months or so, and summer is certainly a strong reason for it. Much of my gaming group is composed of teachers, so you would expect that summer is high gaming time, but everyone is just so darned busy.

Ending a campaign is always sad, but I try to have a new one ready to roll when the one fizzles out. I like to tinker with new stuff and my players like to create new characters, so we just slide from one game to the next.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “Judges' Forum”