Resources for magic items... and the Revelations of Mulmo

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

jozxyqk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Resources for magic items... and the Revelations of Mulmo

Post by jozxyqk »

I can't recall if anyone has published a source for DCC RPG magic items. I actually have the relevant issue of Crawl!, but can't find the damn thing. I'm looking for a suitable warhammer (probably a lawful one) to slot into a session tonight. I could create one, but I'm working right until game time and it would be much easier to crib someone else's efforts. (Obviously if someone wants to write one up here and now it would likely get an honored place in Jozyyqk's campaign!).

Also, I wanted to commend our own Raven Crowking on "Revelations of Mulmo" (the beginnings of which will likely come in tonight's session). I bought it when a player's beloved character died. I obviously haven't run it yet, but based on my reading it is absolutely superb. A work of staggering creativity and clearly the product of a deep understanding of the Appendix N literature. It's my first Raven Crowking module, and I'm sure I'll be getting more. (I've frankly been a bit nonplussed by many of the official efforts that are not written by H. Stroh, esq.) It is a ridiculous steal for $5. Basically, everyone should buy this module. I'll post a full review after my players run through it.
Hungerstriker
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Resources for magic items... and the Revelations of Mulm

Post by Hungerstriker »

Here's a few ideas, a bit later than you might have hoped. Tell me what you think!

Hammer of Bone Shattering
This Warhammer has a very long shaft made out of an unknown wood, and carved with Runes in some ancient Giant language. Tt at first seems to be extremely heavy, and a character must have 13 Strength to lift it without assistance. However, to anyone who holds it for a minute or more it suddenly seems quite lightweight and easy to use.
It has a +1 enhancement and changes the wielder's Crit roll to a d8 on table G. Additionally, any time the hammer rolls max damage, it automatically breaks one of the victim's bones at random. After the Hammer strikes a foe, the wielder always knows that creature's exact location for the next 24 hours. Bane against skeletal undead: whenever max damage is rolled against a Skeleton, Lich, or similar creature, they must make a DC 15 Fortitude save or crumble into dust. Lawful, 6 Intelligence, communicates through simple urges, and has a special purpose to punish all evildoers.

Ranevin, the Hero-Saver
Ranevin appears as a gleaming silver hammer with a single eyeball-sized sapphire embedded where the head meets the shaft. The weapon can communicate telepathically with anyone touching it. While 'he' is happy to introduce himself and is always polite, he is very cautious in nature and does not trust living beings easily. Only after observing his new wielder for a period of at least 1 month will Ranevin begin to consider mentioning and granting access to his extraordinary powers.
Ranevin is a +3 Warhammer. Once per day, Ranevin's wielder can spend an action to be healed by 2d6 hp (though Ranevin often fails to mention that this is possible). Ranevin can detect Chaos within 10', and always knows when he is being carried by a Chaotic being. Ranevin can project a magical aura of protection to grant anyone wielding him a +3 bonus to all of their saving throws.
If a PC would be reduced to zero hp while wielding Ranevin, and has been judged worthy by the Hammer, he is instead reduced to just 1 hp, and the sapphire embedded in the weapon becomes chipped. Ranevin can only perform this feat twice-- the first time he saves a hero, the gem will become chipped, and the second time the gem will shatter. When the gem is destroyed or removed from Ranevin (can only be pried free by a character with 19+ strength), the Warhammer loses all magical properties, and 'dies'.
Lawful, 10 Intelligence, can communicate telepathically with anyone touching the weapon.
Ranevin's special purpose is to accompany a great hero on a perilous quest, and then sacrifice itself to save the hero's life. The hammer knows this, and has (mostly) come to terms with his mortality.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

jozxyqk wrote:Also, I wanted to commend our own Raven Crowking on "Revelations of Mulmo" (the beginnings of which will likely come in tonight's session). I bought it when a player's beloved character died. I obviously haven't run it yet, but based on my reading it is absolutely superb. A work of staggering creativity and clearly the product of a deep understanding of the Appendix N literature. It's my first Raven Crowking module, and I'm sure I'll be getting more. (I've frankly been a bit nonplussed by many of the official efforts that are not written by H. Stroh, esq.) It is a ridiculous steal for $5. Basically, everyone should buy this module. I'll post a full review after my players run through it.
Thank you. You demonstrate an uncanny intelligence, Sir! :mrgreen: :lol:

However, I would not sell the official modules short. Or the 3pp modules, either.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

His stuff is very good indeed! I'm just concerned that with all of his module writing he is neglecting the Shanthopal setting! :wink:
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Thank you.

Shanthopal is not at the top of the "to do" pile, but it is in the works.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Help me help a friend, and get a free adventure: http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2013/0 ... arter.html
SoBH pbp:

Return to “Judges' Forum”