Archdloos,The King of Swords

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Archdloos,The King of Swords

Post by Gameogre »

http://graphicpolicy.files.wordpress.co ... _cvr_c.jpg Cool picture by Francesco Biagini
Archdloos,The King of Swords,Lord of Chaos and The Doom of Nine Hundred Worlds

Sometimes called the great seducer he specializes in breaking the ground for Chaos in a new world by swaying servants of the other side towards Chaos.He rewards those who call on his aid with power and often that is enough to begin the road towards Chaos.
Archdloos is not the most powerful of The Lords of Chaos but he is one of the most successful.Sophisticated and Intelligent,he often wins the battle through guile and seduction just as often as with brute strength and raw force. While he works to overthrow all that is Law just as much as the other Lords he isn't above using creatures of Law or Neutrality to do so. Often twisting and perverting such forces to suit his own ends. Those ends do not always meet the other Lords expectations and sometimes he even has temporarily sided against them.Also Archdloos poaches agents from other powers(even Chaotic ones) and shields them from outright retribution. Because of this, many of the other Lords hold grunges towards Archdloos and his forces, but none can argue with his results. Nine Hundred Worlds have fallen to Chaos due to his mechanization's and many more stand on the brink.

Invoke Patron check results

12-13 The strength of Chaos flows into he caster,granting 1D6 Strength for the next hour.

14-17 1D12 Swordsmen of Chaos appear within 50' of the caster and fight as directed for 1D6 rounds. Swordsmen of Chaos,Init=+0 Attack with sword +3 to hit,1D6 damage,AC=12,HP=10.MV=30,Fort +2,Ref+2,Will+0,AL=Chaos.

18-19 Chaos Aids the caster by filling the casters body with power granting +4 AC for 1D4 Turns.

20-23 The King of Blades sends you a Blade of Chaos to wield in battle for 3D3-1 rounds. The Black Blade of Chaos is a one handed sword that grants +3 to hit(automatic proficiency) and deals 1D12 damage. 50% of all damage done with the blade returns to the wielder as healing.

24-27 Chaos shields the caster from magical harm for the next 1D6 rounds. The caster makes all saves as if she had rolled a natural 20 and at most takes 1 point of damage per spell.

28-29 The caster and her allies (if so desired by the caster) vanish from the mortal worlds and appear in the Courts of Chaos where they are treated as guests at Archdloos's Palace of Blades. Once fully healed and ready to leave the caster need only ask the Castilain to teleport the caster and allies to the mortal world. Per check with a DC of 10. Success grants you passage to exactly where the caster desires. Failing by 3 or less and you arrive on a battlefield. Failed by 6 or less and you arrive in great danger(ancient ruins ect..). Fail by 7 or more and you arrive safely on the wrong mortal world.

30-31 Archdloos sends a Dragon of Chaos to aid you for 1D4+CL rounds.Roll randomly on the Dragon tables but the HD is set at 6HD.

32+ The King of Swords awards you the title of Champion of Chaos! For 1D12+CL rounds the caster and 1D6 allies receive a +6 to AC and all saves. +5 to all attacks,spell checks,skill checks and damage. All effected also regenerate 5 hit points per round(even if dropped below 0) for the duration of the effect.
Last edited by Gameogre on Sun May 12, 2013 6:45 am, edited 5 times in total.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Archdloos,The King of Swords

Post by Gameogre »

While often Intelligent and cunning Archdloos is also a being of vast mood swings. Sometimes wrathful and vengeful moods quickly follow into even darker ones but it isn't too long before he is back on top again smiling.While this certainly effects his work the King of Swords has learned to use his moods to his benefit. Few beings can even remotely predict what plans of his will mean next.

If Patron Taint is indicated roll 1D6 and consult the table below.

Patron Taint

1-The casters body takes on a lean appearance over the next month and a mark of chaos appears like a birthmark in a strategic location.If rolled a second time the casters ears slowly become pointed and his hair turns white over the next month. If rolled a third time the eye's turn pink and the caster skin becomes very pale.

2-The caster becomes subject to mood swings.If rolled again the casters mood swings become more pronounced and he picks up both a +1 personality bonus during the more outgoing times and a -2 personality penalty during the time that his darker emotions hold sway. If rolled a third time the casters alignment slides to Chaotic over the course of the next week.If already Chaotic in alignment the caster feels overcome with desire to effect the balance of power in his world. this results in a self imposed quest to either promote Chaos in some beneficial fashion or harm Law.

3-Archdloos bids the caster to journey immediately to fulfill a quest. The Caster must carry out this quest with all haste or the visions she receives will overwhelm her within 1D3 days until she seeks to carry out the quest.The quest will be one that kills a Elemental or recruits a minion of neutrality.

4-A champion of Chaos calls on the caster for aid! Help him carry out his mission or lose 1d3 hit points per day until you do.This damage can not be healed or recovered from until after the mission is completed.

5-The caster must seek out and destroy(or recruit) one minion of Law of the casters level or higher. This does not have to be done in the most obvious fashion. In fact the means to the end do not matter at all. As long as within nine days you complete the task Archdloos will be pleased with the caster.

6-The caster must goes mad for 1D4 days. During that time she carries out seemingly random tasks that only later can be seen to cause Chaos to thrive.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

Tell me what ya think! I don't hurt easy so feel free to let me know if it seems wrong.

Off to bed so I'll try and finish tomorrow.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

Roll 1D6
Spellburn

1- As the caster whispers the promise for sacrifice and offering she hears Archdloos's voice echo through her mind"Done" as he accepts the deal. Suddenly her body is wracked in pain and agony as the Lord of Chaos takes what was offered. She feels herself lessen as greedy chaos grabs on and begins to drain the agreed a pone vitality. In the back of her mind she hears the laughter fade away.

2-Archdloos is hungry for souls.The casters offering was not enough.Instead of the agreed a pone amount he must offer twice that amount but all of it may be in the form of slain creatures. The caster must slay 2HD worth of beings for every point gained in the next six hours or be forced to pay the amount from himself instead.

3-At the moment of agreement, lightning strikes the caster! As the powerful force of slams into the caster he feels it gnawing at his soul and pulling him apart as it routs out every drop of the agreed on vitality.

4-The Winds of Chaos blow and suddenly gale force winds enter wherever the caster is located. The caster is driven to his knees as the air fills with a hundred thousand voices all crying out in pain and suffering.As the Winds of Chaos strip the caster of power the screaming and wailing intensify until in that last moment the caster recognizes her own voice lost among the thousands.

5-As the strength begins to fade from the caster she hears the grateful thanks of Archdloose "Thank you Champion,I have need of this".

6-The shadows twist and dance around the caster as shadowy knives strike out,taking from the caster what she offered.Faint music can be heard by all as demonic shadows continue to dance around the caster drawing blood over and over with there dark blades.As the sacrifice ends the music stops and a female sigh along with the clinking of glassware can be heard nearby "It always ends to soon".
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

The Blades of Chaos

Level 1(Archdloose) Range:30' Duration:Varies Casting Time:1 round Save=None.

General The Blades of Chaos can be summoned by those sworn to Chaos. These dark twisted blades fill the air with the sounds of metal slashing on metal and dance about as if wielded by tumbling warriors. The blades are many and the air fills with their hungry clanging.The blades strike as if wielded by the caster(his to hit)requires a minimum of a 1 point spellburn.

Manifestation-Roll 1D6, 1=The Dark Blades shine with power and cast strange shadows apone the walls and floor of twisted warriors clad in plate wielding long black swords. 2=A loud hungry keening rings out throughout the spell duration. 3= The blades dance silently about the area. 4= Distant laughing echoes throughout the spells duration and with every drop of blood spilled grows louder and louder. 5=Angry growling and grunting as if some great beast were unleashed fill the area. 6=The blades are invisible and silent as if wielded by hidden assassins,wounds appear on those attacked as if from nowhere.

1-Loss Failure and Patron Taint.

2-11 Lost. Failure.

12-13 The blades attack and do 1D12+CL damage per round.The spell lasts for 1D3+CL rounds.Against Law the blades gain a bonus of +3 to hit.Against Neutrality the Blades gain +1 to hit.The caster must concentrate to keep the spell going.

14-17 The Blades strike with a +2 bonus and do 1D14+CL damage per round. Against Law they do +4 to hit. Against Neutrality they gain a +2 bonus.The spell lasts for 1D5+CL rounds.The caster must concentrate to keep the spell going.

18-19 The blades do 1D16+CL damage per round and strike with a +4 to hit.Against Law they strike with a +5.Against Neutrality they gain a +5 to hit.The spell lasts for 1D6 +CL rounds.The caster must concentrate to keep the spell going.

20-23 The Blades strike twice per round in the area of effect.Both attacks strike with a +3 to hit(+5 verse Law/+5 verse Neutrality) and deal 1D16+CL in damage. Concentration is required to direct the blades.The spell lasts 1D8+CL rounds.

24-27 The Blades strike three times per round in the area of effect(increased to 50') and Receive a +4 bonus to hit(+6 to Law/+5 Neutrality) doing 1D20+CL in damage each.No concentration is necessary.The blades do 1D20+CL in damage per strike.The spell lasts for 1D10+CL rounds.

28-29 The Blades strike four times per round in the area of effect(100') and receive a +5 to hit(+6 verse Law/+6 verse Neutrality) and deal 2D12+CL damage per strike.No concentration is required.The spell lasts 1D12+CL rounds.

30-31 The Blades strike five times per round in the area of effect(200') and receive a +6 bonus to hit(+8 verse Law/+7 verse neutrality) and deal 2D14+CL in damage.No concentration is required.The spell lasts 1D14+CL rounds.

32+The Blades strike Six times per round in the area of effect(200') and receive a +7 Bonus to hit(+8 verse Law/+8 verse Neutrality) and deal 2D16+CL in damage.No concentration is required.The spell lasts 1D16+CL rounds.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

For his other two spells of 2nd and 3rd level I'm thinking of something like Summon Demon and Chaotic Transference.

The Summon Demon one seems easy enough,just starting out small and ending with some huge massively viscous monstrosity.

The Chaotic Transference spell could be a travel spell. Something like Dimension Door at the lower range and something like teleport at the high end.Perhaps with a 32+ crossing into other worlds ect..

Just not sure.
caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by caveman »

I like this alot! Thanks!
Though I think I'll change the name to Arioch for my campaign... just cause this seems classic enough to deserve it.
My only suggestion is that I like trying to base Chaos patron/god tables on the d8, because it's, like, the Chaos die. So, maybe make the Sword spell a d8? It goes along with the 8 pointed mark of Chaos.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

Cool patron! Creating Patrons is a lot of work. Thanks for posting.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

caveman wrote:I like this alot! Thanks!
Though I think I'll change the name to Arioch for my campaign... just cause this seems classic enough to deserve it.
My only suggestion is that I like trying to base Chaos patron/god tables on the d8, because it's, like, the Chaos die. So, maybe make the Sword spell a d8? It goes along with the 8 pointed mark of Chaos.
Yeah Archdloos doesn't have the same kick as Arioch but then what name would? Archdloos is just Chaos Lord scrambled. I couldn't think of anything better.

I kinda like the 8 side idea. I might revisit it after I finish the last two spells.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Oldarchos.

Although, if you want to just nod to the anagram, why not Aldorchus? That has the benefit of being a near-anagram and includes orcus/orchus.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Being a Moorcock fan, I like this as well. Thanks for the legwork on it.

Return to “Judges' Forum”