Question about Dimensional Schism

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

TheRusty
Ill-Fated Peasant

Question about Dimensional Schism

Post by TheRusty »

Ok, so an Elf in the party I DM has a spell with the Mercurial effect #80, Dimensional Schism. (D7+1 temporal duplicates, lasts 1 round/level, 1% the caster leaves at the end and a duplicate stays instead.) Now the text states that they take hits for the caster (any attacks aimed at the caster hit a random one of them). Can the caster control them do to anything else, or do they just loiter around? At low levels, its not an issue, but I want to make sure I'm doing it consistently.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Question about Dimensional Schism

Post by GnomeBoy »

Two ways to look at it (that I see off the bat):

1) This is just a flavorful variant of ye olde Mirror Image spell, and they more or less do what the caster does, making them essentially indistinguishable from him.

B) They are independent people. The caster doesn't suddenly get 1d7+1 extra characters. If anything the GM gets 1d7+1 temporary NPCs. Have fun.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Question about Dimensional Schism

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Under the rubric of "Make Magic Magical", I would suggest that you not only not worry about consistency, but that you make sure that the players are aware of the same.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “Judges' Forum”