weapons and damage

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

ecz
Far-Sighted Wanderer

weapons and damage

Post by ecz »

hi all dear judges.

I wonder why all weapons have basically the same damage.
1d4 OR 1d6 OR 1d8 OR 1d10 and there are no differences. for example 1d6-1 for an hammer, 1d6 for a mace, 1d6+1 for an hand axe could be more realistic (these are just examples).
For missile weapons it's the same. Short bow, Long bow and Crossbow make the same damage (1d6), changes only the effective range.
I find this a little unrealistic.

I know that Strenght acts as a drm so it's a matter of WHO uses a weapon, but having a "standard" basic damage for very different weapons is an uneeded abstraction. Is there a "technical" reason to do not use the classic dier roll modifiers like +/- 1/2 ?

Also I wonder why there are so many "classic" weapons lacking. why no flail? why only one kind of generic "polearm"? why no mornigstar, two-handed axe or peculiar weapons like the whip?

To all the above questions the answer is : to keep things simple but the judge can develop-change anything OR I'm missing something crucial about combat? I'm still studying the system and must figure if I have to change-modify something according to my players taste. But at the same time I do not want harm the integrity of the system.
VASLeague Tournament Director
VASLeague@gmail.com
www.vasleague.org
Enoch
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: weapons and damage

Post by Enoch »

If you want to talk "classic" weapons--all those you listed didn't exist in early editions of D&D. The weapons in DCC are very much reminiscent of those early editions.
ecz
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ecz »

Enoch wrote:If you want to talk "classic" weapons--all those you listed didn't exist in early editions of D&D. The weapons in DCC are very much reminiscent of those early editions.
I have never played D&D although I know that system. I understand that DCC has the "flavor" of the old style RPG but I think is much better because it belongs to another era. So, assuming that new weapons can be added at will, I wonder why all these weapons have only four type of damage, 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 1d10 without any modification ranging from -2 to +2 to better depict the inherent differences from weapon to weapon.
VASLeague Tournament Director
VASLeague@gmail.com
www.vasleague.org
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

It's up to the judge. I do a fair bit of this actually, for example, Molan's flail in my campaign is 2d3+2 damage, and I've made nicer daggers or crappier shortsword 1d5... use the funky dice for more flavor.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

How would a penalty to damage work? Sometimes it just does no damage???
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Nah, min one. It just tweaks the range. For example, think about a fine steel sword that's 2d4, or an elven blade could be 2d5. A poorly made weapon could be d7, or d8-1...
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I guess I'd rather just see a smaller die used, than upping the chances that a '1' is generated, realism or no.

I mean, something like 2d4 -1 I could get behind, or using the penalty to represent a rusted out, pitted weapon, maybe. But rolling low for damage sucks enough as it is... :mrgreen:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

ecz wrote:hi all dear judges.

I wonder why all weapons have basically the same damage.
1d4 OR 1d6 OR 1d8 OR 1d10 and there are no differences. for example 1d6-1 for an hammer, 1d6 for a mace, 1d6+1 for an hand axe could be more realistic (these are just examples).
For missile weapons it's the same. Short bow, Long bow and Crossbow make the same damage (1d6), changes only the effective range.
I find this a little unrealistic.

I know that Strenght acts as a drm so it's a matter of WHO uses a weapon, but having a "standard" basic damage for very different weapons is an uneeded abstraction. Is there a "technical" reason to do not use the classic dier roll modifiers like +/- 1/2 ?

Also I wonder why there are so many "classic" weapons lacking. why no flail? why only one kind of generic "polearm"? why no mornigstar, two-handed axe or peculiar weapons like the whip?

To all the above questions the answer is : to keep things simple but the judge can develop-change anything OR I'm missing something crucial about combat? I'm still studying the system and must figure if I have to change-modify something according to my players taste. But at the same time I do not want harm the integrity of the system.
I think the idea is to keep the "official" rules simple. You can, and should, change any rule that you don't like, but rather than introduce a complex system with lots of modifiers, a simpler system was presented as the basis. Want 6 different varieties of polearms? Go for it. Or maybe you would prefer to concentrate your creativity on creating a dungeon for your players instead. It's different for all of us, and that's part of what makes this system so nice. Some people don't like to keep track of yet another modifier, some people don't mind. Either way, I don't think any changes you might make could "break" the game balance as long as you are consistent for characters and monsters alike.
AQuebman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by AQuebman »

Agreed I think the goal with DCC was the make it open ended and focused towards more experienced judges. If you want to make it super complex go for it, if your like me and want a simple lazy system use the basics as they are written.
Galadrin
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Galadrin »

Honestly, I have never felt that different weapons damage is at all "realistic". Realistically, all weapons should do the same damage since all weapons are just as good at killing. I chopped wood all my childhood growing up in rural America and I can tell you that my Mora knife sitting next to my keyboard here will do the job just as well as any axe or maul. Historically, weapons were selected according to how well they defeated the enemy's defences—either catching the enemy's weapon or by bypassing armour. Thus, in OD&D (using Chainmail), all weapons did the same damage but had different abilities verses enemy arms and armour.*

Later D&D (and DCC for that matter) did away with the more detailed Chainmail combat and thus had to introduce different weapon damages to account for the difference in weapon prices.

*It helps to keep in mind that daggers, not greatswords, were often used to finish off a fallen enemy on the battlefield. Was it because daggers inherently do less damage, are less efficient, and require more blows to finish the job? No, it was because they were more efficient when used under their proper circumstances. While a long arm was essential in a typical mêlée, daggers were not ruled out because "they did less damage."
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

As others have noted, DCC intends for the core rules to be a base structure and you can house-rule things you don't like. If you want a complex weapon damage system, look into systems like AD&D and use their weapon damage values in DCC. Or make up your own.

What I have found is that often when you have the weapons rated by specific damage you encourage players to min/max the system. Why use a sword, for example, if a katana can get them an extra +1. It's a lot easier if all weapons are the same, in which case a weapon type becomes "flavor" without changing game effect. If a hammer fits your character style use it, but if it's a halberd use it instead. Stopps players from working the system.

I think that what works best, actually, is making weapon damage a function of class. For example, let fighters do a d8 with all weapons, dwarves a d7, elves and clerics a d6, and so on. The rationale is that certain classes of character are better trained with weapons and thus are better able to inflict damage with them.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Galadrin wrote:*It helps to keep in mind that daggers, not greatswords, were often used to finish off a fallen enemy on the battlefield. Was it because daggers inherently do less damage, are less efficient, and require more blows to finish the job? No, it was because they were more efficient when used under their proper circumstances. While a long arm was essential in a typical mêlée, daggers were not ruled out because "they did less damage."
Quick Houserule: "When used on a fallen foe, a dagger can automatically critical with each successful attack. On an unsuccessful attack, the dagger does 1d10 damage. This reflects the wieldiness of a dagger for precision work."
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

finarvyn wrote: What I have found is that often when you have the weapons rated by specific damage you encourage players to min/max the system. Why use a sword, for example, if a katana can get them an extra +1. It's a lot easier if all weapons are the same, in which case a weapon type becomes "flavor" without changing game effect. If a hammer fits your character style use it, but if it's a halberd use it instead. Stopps players from working the system.
This is a very good point. Over the years, I have had players who always go for the two handed swords or great axes just so they can maximize damage. Then I have to keep putting them in situations where their weapons are at a disadvantage like a tight corridor so that I can discourage that type of play. It gets very tiresome.
finarvyn wrote:I think that what works best, actually, is making weapon damage a function of class. For example, let fighters do a d8 with all weapons, dwarves a d7, elves and clerics a d6, and so on. The rationale is that certain classes of character are better trained with weapons and thus are better able to inflict damage with them.
This is indeed a more realistic approach. But I would also add that if you want realism, skill level is really important, too. The impact of strength on damage is really insignificant compared to the impact of good technique. The reason why is that with good technique you are being much more efficient with the strength you have, whereas if you just swing like an ogre with a club, you are wasting a great deal of your strength. So maybe increasing the modifiers based on level should also be considered if you take this approach.

Still, some weapons do do more damage than others. I can assure you, a katana will tend to do more damage than a knife, regardless of who is using it or their respective skill levels. But in the end, if you want realism, almost any weapon would kill or seriously maim someone outright with a single hit and the whole hit point system is where the realism breaks down, really. In the end, knowledge and skill level doesn't allow someone to take more physical damage, it allows someone to reduce the amount of damage they would take. So if someone were really hell bent on a system that was more realistic then it should be something where higher skill levels increase the damage that is dealt and reduce the damage that is sustained, with only a minor variation for weapon type.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

cjoepar wrote:But I would also add that if you want realism, skill level is really important, too. The impact of strength on damage is really insignificant compared to the impact of good technique.
Because the Deed Die, which rises with level, adds to damage and allows various special effects, is coupled with a better crit range and better crits, as well as a higher initiative, I tend to think that DCC has covered this, for warriors at least, extremely well.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Disemvowel
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Disemvowel »

Originally, all weapons did d6 damage, no more, no less.

To boot, does me hitting you in the face with a sword or an axe cause more damage? Variable damage is sort of silly, as the weapons are more of aesthetic choices than practical ones (using RAW).

http://www.thearma.org/essays/TopMyths.htm

Swords should be limited to Warriors/Dwarves/Elves
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

I am always in favor of damage by class myself.

A warrior wielding a mace and shield shouldn't be less or more of a threat than one wielding a Axe and shield or whatever else he wants to use.

I think weapon damage as is just leads to everyone slapping the same weapon on their hip.

I know in my games every warrior tends to use a longsword unless some other magic weapon is found. Even then they just hunt down the magical longsword version of that weapon if they can.

It makes sense to me that a warrior with a knife is a deadly foe while a Wizard with a knife is much less so.

For game purposes it just makes it more interesting for pc's and npc's to use a wide variety of weapons.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

My grandma with her dough roller could do significant damage.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Skyscraper wrote:My grandma with her dough roller could do significant damage.
What was her starting occupation? :lol:
SoBH pbp:

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:My grandma with her dough roller could do significant damage.
What was her starting occupation? :lol:
Ogre!
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Gameogre wrote:I am always in favor of damage by class myself.

A warrior wielding a mace and shield shouldn't be less or more of a threat than one wielding a Axe and shield or whatever else he wants to use.

I think weapon damage as is just leads to everyone slapping the same weapon on their hip.

I know in my games every warrior tends to use a longsword unless some other magic weapon is found. Even then they just hunt down the magical longsword version of that weapon if they can.

It makes sense to me that a warrior with a knife is a deadly foe while a Wizard with a knife is much less so.

For game purposes it just makes it more interesting for pc's and npc's to use a wide variety of weapons.
Yep -- and this is already built-in with the warrior's deed dice and access to mighty deeds.

As far as tweaking weapon damage, I do a little of that -- with grades of weapons (though it's a bit cumbersome). Iron drops a weapon's damage by a die type (weapon die type) so an iron longsword does 1d6. Steel is the base damage. "Fine" or "masterwork" or whatever you want to call it has some bonus to damage (either +X or a higher die type). So, a "fine" longsword might to 1d8+1 or 2d4.

This has the added bonus of introducing "better" weapons without making them magical. And the added bonus of starting characters off with iron weapons so they have a motivation to seek out gold. Humanoid threats almost always have crappy iron or otherwise poorly made/maintained weaponry.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

ragboy wrote: ...As far as tweaking weapon damage, I do a little of that -- with grades of weapons (though it's a bit cumbersome). Iron drops a weapon's damage by a die type (weapon die type) so an iron longsword does 1d6. Steel is the base damage. "Fine" or "masterwork" or whatever you want to call it has some bonus to damage (either +X or a higher die type). So, a "fine" longsword might to 1d8+1 or 2d4.

This has the added bonus of introducing "better" weapons without making them magical. And the added bonus of starting characters off with iron weapons so they have a motivation to seek out gold. Humanoid threats almost always have crappy iron or otherwise poorly made/maintained weaponry.
I really like this approach, I sure wish I had done something like this from the start.
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

cjoepar wrote:
ragboy wrote: ...As far as tweaking weapon damage, I do a little of that -- with grades of weapons (though it's a bit cumbersome). Iron drops a weapon's damage by a die type (weapon die type) so an iron longsword does 1d6. Steel is the base damage. "Fine" or "masterwork" or whatever you want to call it has some bonus to damage (either +X or a higher die type). So, a "fine" longsword might to 1d8+1 or 2d4.

I really like this approach, I sure wish I had done something like this from the start.
Not too late now. If they find a cheaper weapon than what they had up to now, or a finer one, I guess that wouldn't be problematic?

Return to “Judges' Forum”