How much treasure?

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

LondonDry
Ill-Fated Peasant

How much treasure?

Post by LondonDry »

I'm attempting to figure out how much treasure I should include for an adventure. I Understand that massive hordes of gold and magic items are not a thing in DCC, but I want to make sure that my players are being rewarded adequately with the right amount of coin and baubles.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: How much treasure?

Post by beermotor »

Tools of the trade can be just as valuable, and perhaps more. Look at the expense of horses, among other things.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I'd not worry about parsing out the treasure in an even-handed, appropriate manner. Throw a ton of loot at them on their third adventure, and see how long it takes them to blow through it. Build adventures and encounters based on how they handle it and what they do with it. After a dry spell, plant another big haul for them to find (or not). Provide them something of incredible value, but that looks like yesterday's trash. Or vice versa. Make it as random as anything else in the game.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

LondonDry wrote:I Understand that massive hordes of gold
Coins... massive hordes of coins are not really a thing in DCC (unless you want them to be). Nowhere in the book does it say that hauls of jewelry, gemstones, and exotic finery (silk & such) aren't around when they need to be.

Not many folk trade in coins - but folk still trade, and that means pirates and thieves and kings alike still horde something valuable.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

However, hordes of valuables are their own dangers. That's how the pirates, bandits and kings got them in the first place -- taking them from folks that couldn't defend them adequately... :)
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GnomeBoy wrote:I'd not worry about parsing out the treasure in an even-handed, appropriate manner. Throw a ton of loot at them on their third adventure, and see how long it takes them to blow through it. Build adventures and encounters based on how they handle it and what they do with it. After a dry spell, plant another big haul for them to find (or not). Provide them something of incredible value, but that looks like yesterday's trash. Or vice versa. Make it as random as anything else in the game.
+1.

I put in whatever I feel is appropriate for the scenario.

RC
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

After three sessions of the funnel, the PCs in my game found their first 11 silver pieces. They hooted and cheered!

The most interesting find was probably two bows and 8 arrows, looted on bandits.

They did find two magic books (the nature of which is unknown to them presently), and one they gave to the village priest because they felt it was "dark magic" and they shouldn't play around with that. Unbeknownst to them, they just gave away a spellbook. (That, incidentally, killed one of the PCs as it was protected with magical runes.) The other book they kept, it's a patron book.

Anyway, the point being: next to no treasure up to now, and everyone is having fun! I'm really not planning on offering treasure, but as suggested by others, when it makes sense, the PCs might well find some valuable treasure.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Give them some gold and gems. Wealth is like a magnet for trouble. Especially if you add a band of seven dwarf bandits. Because they can smell gems and gold, you know. :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Ravenheart87 wrote:Especially if you add a band of seven dwarf bandits. Because they can smell gems and gold, you know. :)
That's an interesting idea. I don't know how much the lawful dwarves have bandits amongst their race, but the exception is possible is it not?
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Skyscraper wrote:That's an interesting idea. I don't know how much the lawful dwarves have bandits amongst their race, but the exception is possible is it not?
It's your campaign, if you say there can be renegade dwarves, then it's absolutely possible. By the way the core book gives level titles to chaotic and neutral dwarves too. ;)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.

Return to “Judges' Forum”