Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How much treasure?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:08 am 
Ill-Fated Peasant

I'm attempting to figure out how much treasure I should include for an adventure. I Understand that massive hordes of gold and magic items are not a thing in DCC, but I want to make sure that my players are being rewarded adequately with the right amount of coin and baubles.

Post subject: Re: How much treasure?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:51 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Tools of the trade can be just as valuable, and perhaps more. Look at the expense of horses, among other things.

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:51 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

I'd not worry about parsing out the treasure in an even-handed, appropriate manner. Throw a ton of loot at them on their third adventure, and see how long it takes them to blow through it. Build adventures and encounters based on how they handle it and what they do with it. After a dry spell, plant another big haul for them to find (or not). Provide them something of incredible value, but that looks like yesterday's trash. Or vice versa. Make it as random as anything else in the game.

Gnome Boy (a.k.a. "Jon") • DCC play-tester @ DDC 35, Feb 2011. • Beta DL 2111, 7:00 AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since 1977 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters - Holds the power to play gnomes at will!

Here Be DCC Monsters...

General Yoros, Warrior, Str 13, Agl 8 (10), Stm 17, Per 13, Int 11, Lck 8; Law, HP 39, AC 17, R+2, F+4, W+2, band/shld, warhammer, longsword, longbow, pitchfork

Han Dee, (Weaver) Neutral Thief, Str 10, Agi 13, Stm 11, Per 11, Int 15, Lck 14, AC 13 (Leather), HP 25, Luck Die d6, Backstab 3, Sneak Silently 10, Hide In Shadows 9, Pick Pocket 10, Climb Sheer 10, Pick Lock 9, Find Trap 9, Disable Trap 9, Forge Doc 10, Disguise 3, Read Lang 5, Handle Poison 3, Cast Scroll d14+2, birth augur (Born under the loom) +1 to all skill checks (including thief skills), Banepicks (auto pick lock/disable trap, but lose 1d3 random ability loss, if a 3 then 1 pt is perm)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:33 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

LondonDry wrote:
I Understand that massive hordes of gold
Coins... massive hordes of coins are not really a thing in DCC (unless you want them to be). Nowhere in the book does it say that hauls of jewelry, gemstones, and exotic finery (silk & such) aren't around when they need to be.

Not many folk trade in coins - but folk still trade, and that means pirates and thieves and kings alike still horde something valuable.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:06 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

However, hordes of valuables are their own dangers. That's how the pirates, bandits and kings got them in the first place -- taking them from folks that couldn't defend them adequately... :)

The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:11 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

GnomeBoy wrote:
I'd not worry about parsing out the treasure in an even-handed, appropriate manner. Throw a ton of loot at them on their third adventure, and see how long it takes them to blow through it. Build adventures and encounters based on how they handle it and what they do with it. After a dry spell, plant another big haul for them to find (or not). Provide them something of incredible value, but that looks like yesterday's trash. Or vice versa. Make it as random as anything else in the game.

+1.

I put in whatever I feel is appropriate for the scenario.

RC

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:05 am 
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

After three sessions of the funnel, the PCs in my game found their first 11 silver pieces. They hooted and cheered!

The most interesting find was probably two bows and 8 arrows, looted on bandits.

They did find two magic books (the nature of which is unknown to them presently), and one they gave to the village priest because they felt it was "dark magic" and they shouldn't play around with that. Unbeknownst to them, they just gave away a spellbook. (That, incidentally, killed one of the PCs as it was protected with magical runes.) The other book they kept, it's a patron book.

Anyway, the point being: next to no treasure up to now, and everyone is having fun! I'm really not planning on offering treasure, but as suggested by others, when it makes sense, the PCs might well find some valuable treasure.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:08 pm 
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Give them some gold and gems. Wealth is like a magnet for trouble. Especially if you add a band of seven dwarf bandits. Because they can smell gems and gold, you know. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:59 pm 
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Ravenheart87 wrote:
Especially if you add a band of seven dwarf bandits. Because they can smell gems and gold, you know. :)

That's an interesting idea. I don't know how much the lawful dwarves have bandits amongst their race, but the exception is possible is it not?

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:31 pm 
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Skyscraper wrote:
That's an interesting idea. I don't know how much the lawful dwarves have bandits amongst their race, but the exception is possible is it not?

It's your campaign, if you say there can be renegade dwarves, then it's absolutely possible. By the way the core book gives level titles to chaotic and neutral dwarves too. ;)