Additional Spellburn action tables

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

AQuebman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Additional Spellburn action tables

Post by AQuebman »

So I have realized in my group that it seems to work better and is more fun for my group if I randomly roll up the implications of spellburn. My question is if anyone knows of a 3rd party product or has themselves come up with additional spellburn actions to add to the original table? I unfortunately don't find myself with much extra time to create these on my own so being the ninja that I am i'm curious what ideas my fellow DCC'ers may have come up with?
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Additional Spellburn action tables

Post by ragboy »

Here's some from the upcoming patrons book, but these are rather specific to the patrons...

The caster channels alien energy through his or her body resulting in the physical ability damage desired. While this ability damage is healed, the caster has a 10% cumulative chance per spell cast of contracting a Patron Taint.

The caster’s mind slips. For every ability point sacrificed, the caster loses 1 temporary Intelligence or Personality (DM’s choice). Each ability point spent adds 2 to the Spell Check roll.

The caster’s connection imparts alien influence. When ability points are sacrificed, the caster must make a Fortitude save DC 8+points sacrificed. If the save is passed, the caster receives a permanent +2 to bonus to one of his or her senses (DM’s choice). If the save is failed, the caster contracts an alien disease. Each day, the caster must make a Fortitude save (DC 8+points sacrificed+days with the disease). On a failure, the caster is unable to heal sacrificed ability damage. On a successful save, the caster’s body has fought off the disease.

The caster’s weakness causes permanent damage but grants dubious insight. The caster takes 1 point of permanent ability damage, but gains specific knowledge of one type of creature descended from the biological horrors from beyond the pale. This may include a specific location, knowledge of powers and traits, relationships to other local flora or fauna, etc.

The caster burns physical attributes as desired, but the caster takes on some aspect of an undead creature (DMs choice of what type, but the caster may be surrounded by the stink of the grave, exhibit gray, dead skin, glassy eyes and yellowed teeth, etc). Until these attributes are healed, the caster can be turned by Lawful clerics as if he or she were undead (HD equal to Level+2). If the caster rolls a 1 on the Spell Check, these effects are permanent.

The caster burns physical attributes as desired – While these attributes are healed, the caster’s form appears wispy and insubstantial. There is no change to the caster’s actual physical presence, though the caster suffers a -4 on Personality checks when dealing with “regular folks.”

The caster suffers from the power of the Wraith King. The caster loses 1 Personality per physical ability point burned. Each physical ability point burned results in a +2 to the Spell Check. All physical abilities must be healed naturally before Personality points are healed. Should Personality drop to 0, the caster receives a Patron Taint and remains in a catatonic state until Personality heals to 1.

The eyes of the caster’s enemies are upon him or her. The sheer weight of hatred for the caster causes the physical damage (STR, STA, or AGI).

The caster must drink a poisonous amount of clear fresh water. The caster must consume a gallon of water in 1 round, which causes the physical ability damage. If this amount of water is not available, the caster loses 1 point of ability damage permanently.

The caster is allergic to clothing or coverings of any kind. Any clothing, armor or other worn items inflame the caster’s skin. While anything is worn, the caster cannot recover lost ability damage, but ability point spent adds 2 to the Spell Check while the caster is…uncovered.

The caster must use his or her munificent presence (Spell Check using Personality rather than Intelligence) to make a credible threat to an innocent bystander. On a 15 or higher, the victim loses the physical abilities designated and the caster loses 1d4 temporary Personality. On a failure, the caster loses the physical abilities AND 1d4 temporary Personality.

The caster must consume 2 quarts of blood. The blood can be of any origin, but must be consumed within 1 round which causes the physical ability damage. If the required amount of blood is not available, the caster loses 1 point of ability damage permanently.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile

Return to “Judges' Forum”