Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 3.5 to DCC Character Level Conversion
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:19 pm 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

I'm getting ready to start up a DCC campaign using the Wilderlands of High Fantasy setting. I'm going to tweak it quite a bit to make it a bit more R. E. Howardish and low-fantasy. However, it might be nice to have some NPCs to work with, and possibly the ones already in the supplement. That means, I think, down-converting the level of the 3.5 NPCs to DCC standards.

I'm guessing that a 3.5 character's level is about 2 to 5 times as high as the equivalent DCC character. So a 20th level Fighter in 3.5 would be a somewhere between 4th and 10th level in DCC. I'm thinking it probably be more toward the low end, say about 5th level.

What do you think? Is a 4:1 ratio about right?

Post subject: Re: 3.5 to DCC Character Level Conversion
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:23 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

I don't think you can strictly compare the levels. DCC's power curve is definitely nonlinear, 3.x's is much more linear (if not totally linear). There's also a lot more variables for DCC chars to deal with. I think I would look to the chart that talks about how level 2s are 1 in every 1000 people, level 3s are 1 in 10,000, etc, and use that as a guide for determining NPC "levels." Of course, the true and correct DCC response is, "don't use character classes or levels for NPCs at all, just make up stuff for them that looks appropriate." Go nuts!

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:02 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

My advice: Completely ignore everything about the NPC other than the raw concept of it, and then build a DCC character from scratch that matches that concept and is whatever level you feel is appropriate.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:39 pm 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

I agree fully with the two posts above.

The adventure in CRAWL! #4 was originally written for AD&D, years ago.
Early attempt at a straight "conversion" to DCC RPG was basically a long waste of time. In the end all the stats were rewritten basically from scratch and all the monsters reinvented. (and the end result is now satisfactory, I think..)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:18 pm 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

sheriffharry wrote:
(and the end result is now satisfactory, I think..)

I think "satisfactory" is an understatement. The end result is quite good!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:05 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

+1.

I've "converted" a handful of AD&D adventures and one LL adventure. LL was easier, but for the most part, but I re-jiggered every monster...every encounter, really. Magic has to change. I run a low-gold campaign, as well, so I have to tweak everything to fit.

You can, however, pretty much do it on the fly after a while, though.

The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:02 pm 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

I would encourage trying to use the material without any conversion whatsoever. I've used monsters and adventures from the following systems in DCC without converting anything up front:

* AD&D
* Labyrinth Lord
* 3E
* Pathfinder (I actually use the Bestiary 2 quite a bit.)

It's actually really easy, and you'll come up with your own simple little on-the-fly tweaks as you gain more experience doing it and are more comfortable with it.