Recommend some ideas of magic item saving throws

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

nebulous
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Recommend some ideas of magic item saving throws

Post by nebulous »

i'm working on this thing that can destroy magic items. First it has to touch it. If it hits, the item gets a saving throw or is permanently destroyed. The DC will be the roll to touch it. What is the easiest and logical way to ad-hoc a bonus to a magic item? Or should i approach it from the other direction, where the roll "to hit" is set against the DC to originally create the magic item? If higher, it is automatically destroyed. But again, i don't know a good way to adjudicate the DC necessary. Potions, scrolls, etc should be very low probably. Weapons and armor higher. Artifacts can't be destroyed.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Recommend some ideas of magic item saving throws

Post by GnomeBoy »

To simplify things, what if such an item were just 'rated' as to what it could destroy -- then touching it to the target item destroys the target item? If a person is holding the target item, then you have to make an attack roll in order to hit the item.

I realize this doesn't help you with your DC issue, but it seems easier to play. This way, you don't have to define a defense for every other item in your campaign...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
nebulous
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by nebulous »

but rate against what? Magic items don't have levels. Characters barely have levels in this game compared to D&D. By 5th they are legend worthy, by 10th they are probably demigods.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

item #1: destroys potions
item #2: destroys potions, scrolls with spells no higher than 4th, and any other such item GM feels is comparable
item #3: destroys magical arms and armor
etc.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

You could just make it do a dispel magic check. Rather than it be auto, and the item have to save.
nebulous
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by nebulous »

well, yes, this is essentially like a dispel magic check with a 32-33 result for permanent destruction. In the spell, your caster score has to overcome the DC required to construct the item (which still has tons of variables). But in my case, this can be done round after round, so i don't want it too easy to do. Magic is rare and hard to find so i want PCs scared of losing their stuff. I'm thinking that the roll to attack sets the DC, just touching the item. Then maybe simple items like low level scrolls get a small saving throw, like +1 to +3. Magic swords and armor and such will have much better chances.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Of course, the "roll to attack" setting the DC will mean Warriors are best at using it. If that fits your idea, that's cool. Or just using the die result itself to generate the DC (die result + X) will mitigate that.

I was thinking the rarity of the destructo-items would be high, higher than other magic items.

And just in case: 3e had Rods of Negation, which destroyed magic items by touching them. The Rod itself was then destroyed, too -- but use of the Rod was simple, game-mechanically speaking. And yes, they made players fear for their items. :twisted:

nebulous
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by nebulous »

well, if it helps, this is actually a very, very rare monster power that PCs will never get their hands on, it's purely something to terrify them. :) So the DC is "monster attack" to touch. So i guess the easiest way to mitigate this is that "simple items" have a low saving throw and more powerful items have a much better save. Pure judge discretion?
nebulous
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by nebulous »

ok, how about this, a PC gets 2 chances to save his magic thingee if he's holding or using it.

An unattended magic item is automatically touched and must make a saving throw against DC 25 or become permanently mundane. If the item is being held or worn a PC can make a Reflex save with the DC as the attack roll. Otherwise the item must make a saving throw against the same DC or be destroyed (saving throws are made at +1 to +20 per item’s relative power and judge’s discretion). Particularly powerful items or effects are immune.

I don't think i want to codify this too much, it's easier just to relegate it to the judge's decision, as this will probably never come up again in a game.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Sounds good. :)

One way to get at that +1 to +20 could be "double the earliest level at which you'd imagine characters obtaining the item, more or less" for ease of estimation.

nebulous
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by nebulous »

GnomeBoy wrote:Sounds good. :)

One way to get at that +1 to +20 could be "double the earliest level at which you'd imagine characters obtaining the item, more or less" for ease of estimation.
good idea!

Return to “Judges' Forum”