Looking for a short 1st-level adventure

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

enoto
Ill-Fated Peasant

Looking for a short 1st-level adventure

Post by enoto »

Heya! I'm hoping to run a couple of short DCC adventures for my buddies at GenCon. Portal Under the Stars seems about the right length for the 0-level adventure... enough time for character creation, rules explanation and a few hours of adventure! But, I'd like to get in some 1st-level play as well, and both People of the PIt and Doom of the Savage Kings look more like 2-3 session affairs.

Any recommendations for a short, punchy 1st-level adventure? Hopefully something with a bit of the Appendix N, weird fantasy vibe to it.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Looking for a short 1st-level adventure

Post by Ravenheart87 »

It seems the time has come to write down the short 1st level mini-adventures I used in my Wilderlands campaigns... A wizard-botanist's tower, a shipwrecked ship, a cult of crabmen.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Have you looked at Attack of the Frawgs or the Purple Sorcerer modules, Ooze Pits etc?
enoto
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by enoto »

Ravenheart87 wrote:It seems the time has come to write down the short 1st level mini-adventures I used in my Wilderlands campaigns... A wizard-botanist's tower, a shipwrecked ship, a cult of crabmen.
Yes, please! Can you do it by Wednesday? ;)
enoto
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by enoto »

beermotor wrote:Have you looked at Attack of the Frawgs or the Purple Sorcerer modules, Ooze Pits etc?
I haven't checked those out yet, but most modules tend to run 2-3 session IME -- I'm looking for something really short because I'm planning to also run Portal under the Stars (plus, we'll be at GenCon, and there'll be lots else to do).

Doesn't have to be for DCC at all, I'm just hoping for that DCC "weird fantasy" vibe.
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

enoto wrote:
beermotor wrote:Have you looked at Attack of the Frawgs or the Purple Sorcerer modules, Ooze Pits etc?
I haven't checked those out yet, but most modules tend to run 2-3 session IME -- I'm looking for something really short because I'm planning to also run Portal under the Stars (plus, we'll be at GenCon, and there'll be lots else to do).

Doesn't have to be for DCC at all, I'm just hoping for that DCC "weird fantasy" vibe.
Attack of the Frawgs is relatively short (about 7K words and about 12 "locations"); you can typically get through the entire module in a 3-hour sitting depending on how fast you roll up characters. Only in one of my playtests did it take two sessions and that's cuz we started a bit late and were rolling up 3 characters each by hand.

Return to “Judges' Forum”