Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: XP for Dreamquests?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:32 pm 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

The next session I am running opens with a short adventure that takes place in a dream the characters are sharing. There will be combat, some puzzles--basically everything you would find in an adventure in the "real" world. The question I haven't found an answer for is: do they get XP for this stuff?

The obvious answer seems to be, "No." However, I think this has certain implications about the nature of dreams. Do we, as people, not feel like dreams are important, meaningful experiences?

Though the players can't actually die, dreamdeath will mean they wake up fatigued (-1d to all action dice, skill checks made untrained, speed halved) due to being distracted for the next few hours.

The other question I have is, if players burn luck, spellburn, etc, does that carry over into real life?

Post subject: Re: XP for Dreamquests?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:44 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

If it doesn't have consequences, your players will probably be annoyed at it. Why not just give them a printed dream to read beforehand?

I personally would run it exactly as a regular session, though, XP and everything. Maybe low XP rewards, but allow them to spellburn/luck burn, etc, and recover stuff normally.

Just my thought.

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:52 pm 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

beermotor wrote:
If it doesn't have consequences, your players will probably be annoyed at it. Why not just give them a printed dream to read beforehand?

I personally would run it exactly as a regular session, though, XP and everything. Maybe low XP rewards, but allow them to spellburn/luck burn, etc, and recover stuff normally.

Just my thought.

This was my thought as well, and I do want the players to affect the outcome. If the party wipes in a dream, they will all be groggy and miss out on some awesome, prophetic stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:39 am 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

My universal thoughts on XP gains: if the player has involvement in the outcome, their character is at any risk at all even if only of temporary consequence, dice are going to be rolled and session time dedicated to more than just narration of the event - then it is worth XP, even if only just the 1 (since XP is based on risk).

And when I feel something shouldn't be worth XP, then it is necessarily narration.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:51 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Sometimes in trying to decide something I might imagine a more extreme case, and see what it tells me...

If several sessions were run, with leveling up and all as expected, and then you said, "Hey, remember that soothsayer back in the first session? He actually put you all to sleep and everything we've been doing is a dream. You are all first level characters", people would likely be upset.

If they are playing the dream just as they would play anything else, why not give them XP? If you need a narrative explanation to justify it, maybe they gained insight (into the world, into themselves, etc.) that will help them from there forward.

Gnome Boy (a.k.a. "Jon") • DCC play-tester @ DDC 35, Feb 2011. • Beta DL 2111, 7:00 AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since 1977 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters - Holds the power to play gnomes at will!

Here Be DCC Monsters...

General Yoros, Warrior, Str 13, Agl 8 (10), Stm 17, Per 13, Int 11, Lck 8; Law, HP 39, AC 17, R+2, F+4, W+2, band/shld, warhammer, longsword, longbow, pitchfork

Han Dee, (Weaver) Neutral Thief, Str 10, Agi 13, Stm 11, Per 11, Int 15, Lck 14, AC 13 (Leather), HP 25, Luck Die d6, Backstab 3, Sneak Silently 10, Hide In Shadows 9, Pick Pocket 10, Climb Sheer 10, Pick Lock 9, Find Trap 9, Disable Trap 9, Forge Doc 10, Disguise 3, Read Lang 5, Handle Poison 3, Cast Scroll d14+2, birth augur (Born under the loom) +1 to all skill checks (including thief skills), Banepicks (auto pick lock/disable trap, but lose 1d3 random ability loss, if a 3 then 1 pt is perm)