Mythos patrons

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Nyarlathotep5150
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Mythos patrons

Post by Nyarlathotep5150 »

I'm reading the DCCRPG book and it strikes me as perfect for a very specific type of game, one that I've been rolling around in my head for years. That being Conan meets the Cthulhu Mythos.
I haven't finished the book yet so I'm not quite ready to do it myself, but I was wondering if anyone has written up Patron stats for the Cthulhu Mythos beings (Cthulhu, Dagon, Yog Sothoth, etc)?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Mythos patrons

Post by finarvyn »

I haven't seen anyone mention statting out Mythos patrons specifically, but I agree that DCC and the Mythos seems like a natural fit. (There was one thread that mentioned DCC and CoC; perhaps this is what they meant. I'd have to hunt around for the thread, however.)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

Cthulhu Mythos Patrons Spellbook?
I would buy that in an instant!

(Now if only someone would write it.)

On the other hand,as a long-time Call of Cthulhu player I can't recall direct invocation of Great Old Ones or Outer Gods EVER being beneficial in any kind of way to any investigator... Usually in my games if contact with a Mythos god was established, half the world would be ravaged, destroyed or infected beyond recovery.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

My home-brew setting actually uses the Mythos' Outer Gods and Great Old Ones as the bulk of its patron and gods - to the point that even a few of the gods worshiped that seem unrelated are actually just little-know "sub-selves" of outer gods and great old ones... example: Hastur is sometimes worshiped as The Shepherd.

Thus far I have only been doing what is needed as it becomes needed to convert those being - and that has only resulted in deciding upon initial spell selection for a couple of clerics...

I plan, however, to mine all of the Call of Cthulhu RPG for information to write full entries for each being... and also conversions of spells and magical items found within the mythos.

It will probably actually be something like a year before I even have a few pages of conversion notes though... my players have a priority list of new material we want, and many more immediately beneficial things sit above the gods/patrons on that list... like expanded weapon rules that alleviate the feeling that two-handed weapons are "traps".
Outsiders68
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Outsiders68 »

It's a great idea so I will 100% look to incorporate some of it into our forth comming patrons book the unusual suspects.

Many thanks

Sean
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

sheriffharry wrote:as a long-time Call of Cthulhu player I can't recall direct invocation of Great Old Ones or Outer Gods EVER being beneficial in any kind of way to any investigator...
A really good point. Usually one tries to avoid contact with the Old Ones. :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

finarvyn wrote:
sheriffharry wrote:as a long-time Call of Cthulhu player I can't recall direct invocation of Great Old Ones or Outer Gods EVER being beneficial in any kind of way to any investigator...
A really good point. Usually one tries to avoid contact with the Old Ones. :lol:
Anecdote: A player of a cleric worshiping Great Cthulhu got himself in a situation of dire proportion (party trapped themselves and were beset by a hydra) used divine aid to call forth "some creature" that would deal with the hydra... those that were conscious upon the arrival of the unknown horror where driven (temporarily, as luck would have it) insane.
blackwingedheaven
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by blackwingedheaven »

In my campaign, The Western Baronies (which is a fantasy-western pastiche), all arcane magic stems from the Great Old Ones. So if you were a wizard in that setting, you'd have to use an Old One as your patron if you wanted one at all. Mortal wizards inevitably believe that they can harness the powers of the chthonic deities if they're careful enough, and sometimes they're even right. The few successes give rise to legions of failures ranging from quiet to catastrophic.
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one." -Voltaire
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

blackwingedheaven wrote:all arcane magic stems from the Great Old Ones. So if you were a wizard in that setting, you'd have to use an Old One as your patron if you wanted one at all
That sounds like a really fun campaign. I love the idea of tying good (magic) with bad (Mythos patrons).

Really makes players question whether magic use is worth it or not! :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

finarvyn wrote:
And actually in Conan fiction, this is typically the response to intervention from beings beyond the mortal. Priests are corrupt and their masters are to be avoided at all costs.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

ragboy wrote:
finarvyn wrote:
And actually in Conan fiction, this is typically the response to intervention from beings beyond the mortal. Priests are corrupt and their masters are to be avoided at all costs.
Unless, of course, you need a quick flight back to the capitol before your kingdom is destroyed..... :lol:
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
blackwingedheaven
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by blackwingedheaven »

finarvyn wrote:
blackwingedheaven wrote:all arcane magic stems from the Great Old Ones. So if you were a wizard in that setting, you'd have to use an Old One as your patron if you wanted one at all
That sounds like a really fun campaign. I love the idea of tying good (magic) with bad (Mythos patrons).

Really makes players question whether magic use is worth it or not! :lol:
Thanks!

And that's the setting intention. Since all magic comes from darkness and alien powers, most wizards are also astrologers and ordinary people severely distrust magic. Wizards are considered a necessity by the government for their role in establishing independence from the old countries, and so their studies are protected by law back in the empire. Out west, wizards are a lot more likely to face persecution and lynch mobs, but they also don't have to operate under imperial strictures against certain kinds of experimentation.

This is also in stark contrast to the setting's clerics, who draw power from ancestor-spirits. Marikuhlians have deified their emperors and the founders of their noble lines, so imperial priests gain their powers from communing with ancient imperial ghosts (who they regard as gods). The Ko'Manna (the Native American stand-ins for the setting) worship their ancestors directly, as well as animal spirits, who are also just ghosts that have adopted animal personas for interacting with the living.

I haven't done a write-up for it yet, but the old countries also had an ancient native religion similar to the druidic faith that worshiped the earth. Their magic came from the multitude of faceless ghosts who had lost their identities from not receiving personal worship and had merged together into a single world-ghost whose ectoplasmic form permeates much of the planet's crust. The reason I haven't done a write-up for them is because they're just flavor now, since their religion is extinct.
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one." -Voltaire
iemckinnon
Gongfarmer

Post by iemckinnon »

sheriffharry wrote:Cthulhu Mythos Patrons Spellbook?
I would buy that in an instant!

(Now if only someone would write it.)

On the other hand,as a long-time Call of Cthulhu player I can't recall direct invocation of Great Old Ones or Outer Gods EVER being beneficial in any kind of way to any investigator... Usually in my games if contact with a Mythos god was established, half the world would be ravaged, destroyed or infected beyond recovery.

But investigators are not working FOR the old ones. Still, I see most Lovecraftian gods (except ones like Nyarlathotep) being indifferent to mortals, and most priests would simply tap into the powers that surround that god, and hope they don't notice. Hastur, Hastur, Hastur! See? Nothing happ.....
Nyarlathotep5150
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Nyarlathotep5150 »

iemckinnon wrote: But investigators are not working FOR the old ones. Still, I see most Lovecraftian gods (except ones like Nyarlathotep) being indifferent to mortals, and most priests would simply tap into the powers that surround that god, and hope they don't notice. Hastur, Hastur, Hastur! See? Nothing happ.....
And this is precisely the idea I was thinking of. That Wizards are either trying to siphon off the power of the dreaming Old Ones without waking them (especially in the case of Azathoth, don't roll too badly or your spell might end the universe); or he was directly given that power because the Old One expects it to further his goals.
Now all I need to do is work up Taint, Invoke Patron, Spellburn and signature spells for each old one.

Return to “Judges' Forum”