Operation Unfathomable

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Operation Unfathomable

Post by ragboy »

If you haven't seen this adventure (and you probably haven't -- it's in Knockspell #5), I highly recommend you go out and get it. It's a Swords and Wizardry ruleset module, but definitely has the "DCC feel." Written by Jason Sholtis... so you know the art is cool.

High points: Fungal garden experimentation, A giant flying ball of snakes with delusions of grandeur, a flying saucer, an entire culture of tiny people living in an ice cave.

I played in an online version of this adventure with Jason as the DM (though it was already beyond the published areas), and then ran out and found it to run at home. We've run two sessions, and it's great fun.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/matthew-finch/ ... 74462.html
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Operation Unfathomable

Post by dark cauliflower »

is the whole issue dedicated to the module or only 10 pages or so? If its a megadungeon that looks cheap at 5.00.
Dark Cauliflower

--from deep night comes the cruciferiouz king!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

It's not a single issue devoted to any one thing. I don't have that issue, but I know that in general FIGHT ON! was designed to be a bunch of smaller articles all bound together. I'd guess we're looking at a dungeon which is 10 pages or fewer.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Colin

Post by Colin »

Looking at my copy of the pdf, the adventure is 21 pages long, so about the same size as many modules.

Colin
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

It's a full adventure, with lots of room for expansion -- it's basically a section of the "underdark" with lots of connecting passages that go off into the Judge's imagination.

So far, we've gotten three sessions out of the adventure as written. I'm currently developing an X-plorers adventure based on something that happens within the adventure.... very fun.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile

Return to “Judges' Forum”