My monk class write up

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

godinabox
Ill-Fated Peasant

My monk class write up

Post by godinabox »

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-mS ... sp=sharing

After doing some research into what was available to play a monk in DCCRPG I found a few people had done some pretty good write ups. However all of them missed the mark for me and my personal view of how monks should be interpreted in fantasy RPGs. They were either a bit too twizzy seeming like 4th edition monks or they seemed potentially overpowered by cherry picking interesting/best aspects of all other classes without their own strengths and weakness.

So I took a look at the monk ideas from wrathofzombies and peoplethemwithmonsters side by side to see what looked good to me. My main inspiration for this monk is the original version of the EQ1 monk. Above is my first draft write up for a DCC monk created with the assistance of my friend and current dcc judge.

I knew that I wanted monks to be able to make more attacks at a high success rate for decreased damage than any other class. I also wanted to find a way to incorporate martial arts skills beyond just punch punch kick. Furthermore I wanted the risk reward to feel inline with the idea that the monk is absolutely unarmored in extremely dangerous situations.

My goal was to figure out what the probable average damage was per round for the other classes and to balance the monks damage appropriately. At the same time I wanted to find a way for the monks role to feel drastically different from other classes lest it become a re-skinned warrior. I wanted the monk to have clear weaknesses and limitations that mattered as well as unique and fun strengths. Finally I wanted to find a way for the dice rolled for a monk to be reflective of the overall flavor of the class itself.

Please take a look if your interested and leave feedback I am going to play test the class starting next week and dial it in as we move forward. The tables beyond level 1 have not been "math'd" out and compared to other classes so they are kind of just best guesses and I expect to make some significant changes to numbers.

Return to “Characters”