Hello, I'm Gin and I'd like to share my bard idea

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

LondonDry
Ill-Fated Peasant

Hello, I'm Gin and I'd like to share my bard idea

Post by LondonDry »

This is my first post here and I'd like to say that I'm a huge fan of DCC

One thing I think is missing though is a proper bard class. Looking around and I see that other people have taken a swing at making their own version, but I was looking for something much more AD&D 1e inspired. So I've come up with my own version of the Bard that combines elements of both the rogue class and cleric. My version of the bard does away with skills and abilities that revolve around music*, but rather cast divine magic taught to them by members of the Druidic Order at various colleges to aid them in their travels. Bards fill a vague role in society, one that the Arch Druid seems important for whatever reasons he deems so. They perpetuate oral tradition in a world where few are so gifted with literacy and uplift the spirits of the weary with song and story. Like homer or Shakespeare, Bards are servants of the people and their duty is to enlighten them. It's not complete yet and i need to play test the class, I think I need to add fighter elements to the class as well in order to beef up their combat abilities.

*Bards still use musical instruments to cast their spells as holy symbols.

Additionally, when I am finished I'll have an alternate deity-like patron for Clerics, a mythic figure known as the Arch-Druid. Similar to the elf-king, the arch druid is not a divine being, but wields powerful elemental magic directly from the outer planes. His ultimate goals are unknown, but his followers seek to strike a balance in the world though nature. Followers of the Arch Druid are all neutral clerics, but he has a special sect of agents who gain a few secrets of the druidic order for their services. These agents are the bards, and whether or not they know it they are pawns in his schemes. His spells grants his clergy access to nature themed spells and is an alternate deity for clerics who want to be neutral without worshiping an actual god-like being. His tenants revolve around protecting nature, but cares little for how his followers do so. Many seek to coexist with men and nature and take themselves to be Shepards who lead their flock to be kind to nature while reaping it's benefits while others wish to purge the blight that is civilization from the world. His holy symbol is a crown crafted from the racks of a deer and wreathed in mistletoe.

So without babbling on any further, here is my rough draft:

Code: Select all

Dungeon Crawl Classic Bard

Level   Attack    Crit Die/Table      Action Dice   Ref  Fort  Will  Charm Dice   	
1         +0          1d10/II          1d20         +1    +0    +1      -         
2         +1          1d12/II          1d20         +1    +0    +1     d10        
3         +2          1d14/II          1d20         +2    +1    +1     d12        
4         +2          1d16/II          1d20         +2    +1    +2     d14        
5         +3          1d20/II          1d20         +3    +1    +2     d16        
6         +4          1d24/II          1d20+1d14    +4    +2    +2     d20        
7         +5          1d30/II          1d20+1d16    +4    +2    +3     d24        
8         +5          1d30+2/II        1d20+1d20    +5    +2    +3     d30        
9         +6          1d30+4/II        1d20+1d16    +5    +3    +3     d30+2      
10        +7          1d30+6/II        1d20+1d16    +6    +3    +4     d30+4      

Cleric Spells Known By Level          Bardic College              Title By Level  

1    2     3     4     5            1 Probationer                  Rhymer       
  -    -     -     -     -            2 Fochlucan                    Lyrist       
  2    -     -     -     -            3 Mac Fuirmidh                 Skald        
  3    -     -     -     -            4 Doss                         Racaraide    
  3    1     -     -     -            5 Canaith                      Joungler     
  3    2     -     -     -            6 Cli                          Troubadour   
  4    2     1     -     -            7 Anstruth                     Minstrel     
  4    3     2     -     -            8 Ollamh                       Muse         
  5    3     3     1     -            9 Magna Alumnae                Lorist       
  5    4     3     2     -           10 Agent of the Arch Druid      Master Bard  
  6    4     4     2     1                                                        
  6    4     4     3     1                                                        

Hit Points: Bards gain 1d6 Hit Points per level                                   

Weapon Training: Bards are expected to be able to defend themselves and are trained in the art of warfare before being set loose in the world. Bards are able to use Longswords, Shortswords, Short Bows, Crossbows, Daggers, staves, and maces effectively in combat. Bards may wear armor that does not restrict their movement. And unlike druids, they are permitted to wear metal armor. Bards may wear leather armor and chainmail.                                                              

Alignment: Bards are expected to remain neutral in regards to law and chaos. They are free to use their abilities as they see fit, so long as they careful to walk the path of neutrality or be expelled from their respective College and lose access to their magical abilities. To remain in good standing, Bards are careful to never act in extreme and are careful to measure both sides of and argument. Bards are, however free to act within the capacity for good or evil should they so desire.                                                                           

Linguistics: Bards are taught new languages in order to sing and entertain to many cultures and races. At Every new level, a Bard may choose to study a new language if he can find a proper tutor, such as a scholar or even a party member who knows the language and is willing to share.                                             

Thieving Skills: Bards are taught basic thieving skills in order to aid them in their travels. Bards have access to these skills from the Thief Class as if he were a neutral Thief:      

Bard Level
                          1     2     3    4     5     6     7     8     9     10 
  Sneak Silently          +3    +5    +7   +8    +9    +11   +12   +13   +14   +15
  Hide in Shadow          +1    +3    +5   +7    +8    +9    +10   +11   +12   +13
  Pick Pocket             +3    +5    +7   +8    +9    +11   +12   +13   +14   +15
  Climb Sheer Surfaces    +3    +5    +7   +8    +9    +11   +12   +13   +14   +15
  Pick Lock               +1    +3    +5   +7    +8    +9    +10   +11   +12   +13
  Forge Document          +3    +5    +7   +8    +9    +11   +12   +13   +14   +15
  Disguise Self           +0    +0    +1   +2    +3    +4    +5    +6    +7    +8 
  Read Languages*         +1    +3    +5   +7    +8    +9    +10   +11   +12   +13
  Cast Spell From Scroll  d12   d12   d14  d14   d16   d16   d20   d20   d20   d20

*unlike other neutral thieves, bards spend time studying language and gain a natural affinity for discerning foreign languages.

Student of the Inner Circle: Bards are given special lessons under the tutelage of the Druidic Circle. Unlike other Druids who may worship deities to receive their divine magic, bard receive their magic directly from the Arch Druid. Bards do not worship the Arch Druid, but follow his orders when called upon to the best of their abilities, least they suffer his wrath.                                     

Magic: A Bard casts magic the same as he were a cleric, with diminished capacity. Bards receive fewer spells known than normal Clerics and use the same rules for casting their spells for spell failure, deity disapprovals and sinful use of divine power (going against the tenants of the Druidic order). His spells are determined randomly.                                                                         

Bards do not gain the ability to turn unholy or lay on hands.                     

Further more, a Bard's magic is unique in that it requires the use of a musical instrument to cast. At first level, a bard must commission a finely crafted musical instrument that is portable and worth no less than 100 gold piece before he may join his first bardic college. A Bard is expected to maintain an instrument he knows how to play with him at all times in order to cast his magic. These instruments are usually stings such as lutes, harps and lyres. Some bards instead choose wind and reed instruments as well. Instruments of lesser quality do not allow the bard to cast magic. 

Charm Creature: Bards gain the ability to charm creatures and persons they come across. This ability only works if the Bard has no hostile intent on animals or if a sentient creature is not hostile to the bard. This ability does not work on elves, other bards, members of the Druidic Order or mindless creatures such as slimes or insects.                                                                

In order to charm a creature, the Bard must approach the subjects and engage them. The Bard then rolls an opposed Personality check verses the target's will using his Charm dice to set the DC (note: The subject uses their standard action dice to make their save, not the bard's charm dice). On a Success, the creature is immediately more open to the bard. Sentient creatures become more friendly and open with the Bard while animals will approach the bard and even attempt to defend the bard in some cases. Charmed creatures can not be forced to act beyond their capacity or beyond their nature. The Charming ability is magical in nature and can be detected as such. If the subject is threatened in any way by the bard, the effect ends and the target is immediately hostile or fearful and will act accordingly.

Classically trained: Bards are classically trained in all manner of musical instruments and performing. Bards add their class level to all performance checks.
Please, let me know what you guys think. I apologize for the formatting issues I had from copying form notepad.
Last edited by LondonDry on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Hello, I'm Gin and I'd like to share my bard idea

Post by finarvyn »

Welcome to the boards. You've put a lot of work into this and it'll take a while to digest it, but I like your enthusiasm.

I'll see if I can fix a bit of your format problem. I can't do much with the tables without a lot of work, but some of the other parts can be fixed with ease... :)

EDIT: Ran it through a spellcheck and got rid of some wacky spaces, etc. Looks a lot nicer. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Beefeaters for my gin, please! Welcome Gin. I've always maintained that a good gin & tonic is natures perfect food.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Welcome aboard! Nice start there, you just appear here and post a whole class in your first post? Awesome. :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

+1. Welcome aboard.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Zargon
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Zargon »

I like this Bard idea, it might actually work better than the one(s) (from the Crawl! design a class challenge) the bard pc in my group is using to wreak havoc at the casual drop of a d20. I don't know if anyone else is having trouble with a bard just charming a pivotal npc on a whim at lvl 1 or 2, but it has me a little sick of these rollplay antics. If anyone has some experience slapping dcc bard rollplayers around do tell. :wink:
Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!
Exedor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Exedor »

I like this interpretation of the bard. There is something that is not quite clear to me in the charm mechanic:
In order to charm a creature, the Bard must approach the subjects and engage them. The Bard then rolls an opposed Personality check verses the target's will using his Charm dice to set the DC (note: The subject uses their standard action dice to make their save, not the bard's charm dice).
Can you give an example of this in action?
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Good job on the bard there. I like that it seems to pick up pretty much of what we know of that class. An exception being the idea of cleric spells instead of wizard spells, but your entire approach to the bard is well explained and to me this is perfectly suitable. I like it :)

Would you consider adding some lore or other types of knowledge to the bard's arsenal? It seems like this is a concept that is often foudn in the bard class that is absent from this one.

Also, it seems to me like the bard might be slightly powerful compared to other classes. I would consider two things:

1) Thief skills: In most thief skills, I would have the bard be less efficient than the thief (except in reading languages and perhaps cast spell from scrolls, where I'd even consider making him better than the thief)
2) Cleric spells: I would cap the bard spellcasting ability at 3rd (or perhaps 4th level) level spells, not allowing him to reach (4th and) 5th level spells. Since the bard can't cast spells at level 1, I would also add that the bard's caster level is one level less than his actual bard level.

This slight decrease in power could be coupled with the addition of a lore-related ability, and perhaps also with some other uses to his bardic music (perhaps inspire bravery, or the like).
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.

Return to “Characters”