Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Elves, Armor & Weapons.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:25 pm 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

I have two Elves in my group. One is 3rd level, wears Hide and has a Mithril short sword, a short bow and her spells.

The second is 2nd level and has Leather armor, Longbow and a club plus his spells.

I have been asked how long until they get stuff an "Elf" can use? I'm not sure if I should have them quest for all that Mithril stuff or not? Just wondering how this is working out for others with Elves in your games?

I feel that with the spell casting they are both really well off right now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:27 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Remember that bronze is a friend to elves.

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:09 am 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Raven_Crowking wrote:

I thought no "man-made" metals would work. Or is just STEEL?

What would be the reasoning "In-game" you use for why Bronze is ok? I might steal it from you. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:11 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Raven_Crowking wrote:

Yup, and so's copper.

If you're following historical progression, copper was used first, then the bronze age alloyed copper with tin to produce bronze, which was vastly superior in terms of hardness. In fact, for a long time, bronze was still superior to iron, because the latter was very brittle. Of course iron eventually got better and then steel supplanted it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:11 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

themightyeroc wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:

I thought no "man-made" metals would work. Or is just STEEL?

What would be the reasoning "In-game" you use for why Bronze is ok? I might steal it from you. :D

It's iron, which is a component of steel. So, titanium armor (for example) would be okay for elves.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:29 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

beermotor wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:

Yup, and so's copper.

If you're following historical progression, copper was used first, then the bronze age alloyed copper with tin to produce bronze, which was vastly superior in terms of hardness. In fact, for a long time, bronze was still superior to iron, because the latter was very brittle. Of course iron eventually got better and then steel supplanted it.

You mean tin alloyed to copper.

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:56 am 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

I like to stay with the Appendix N meaning for mithril, so I have gone the bronze route, too. But so that it has some detrimental effect, I work bronze like this:

Any bronze weapon or armor has 3-5 hit points, which I determine and record secretly when a character acquires it. Every time a character rolls a fumble with a bronze weapon, it takes a point of damage, regardless of the specific result on the fumble table. Anytime a monster scores a critical hit on a character wearing bronze armor, it takes a hit point of damage. If a bronze item is reduced to 0 hit points it falls apart on the spot and cannot be repaired. Damaged items with at least one hit point can be repaired by a bronzesmith for half the new cost of the item.

I never thought about copper, but I would probably give it twice the chance to be damaged and 2-4 hit points to represent its inferiority.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:58 pm 
Ill-Fated Peasant

beermotor wrote:
If you're following historical progression, copper was used first, then the bronze age alloyed copper with tin to produce bronze, which was vastly superior in terms of hardness.

Some of the earliest bronze was copper alloyed with arsenic, which can't have been good for the smiths. I use bronze for elves, the only difference in game terms being its much higher cost (which also makes wearers of a lot of bronze a target).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:30 am 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Early bronze used arsenic, but was eventually replaced with tin.
88% copper and 12% tin.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:25 pm 
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

I think elves should dress in leaves and branches.

Just avoid the kinds that itch.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:38 am 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Skyscraper wrote:
I think elves should dress in leaves and branches.

Just avoid the kinds that itch.

And you can keep thinking that. :wink:

Does the DCC rule book define what mithril is anywhere?

I'm not a wizard but I play one in DCC...

Join the DCC RPG Facebook group.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:34 pm 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

[/quote]And you can keep thinking that. :wink:

Does the DCC rule book define what mithril is anywhere?[/quote]

Not that I have seen? Plus that way you can really make it be whatever you want to fit your game. I've already decided that Elves in my game aren't even from the same dimension, so "mithril" is an alien metal.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:23 pm 
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Metal? Metal! Humph, Metal is for dwarves. :mrgreen:

The elves in my games use ceramics, or glass etched with runes. By the time they're close enough for enemies to hear the melodic chimes of the eleven armor, it's already too late for the targets. It's also one of the reasons why the elves in my games often dance their way through combat. I figure it is produced by a collaborative effort between elven sages and elven glassblowers.

As far as mithril, everyone has their own recipe... feel free to experiment. 8)
------------

PS> copper is useless for armor unless alloyed and even then it wasn't used to make anything that represents medium or heavy armor; +3 max AC. Mostly it was used to make studs, rivets, and rings that were mounted onto boiled/ waxed leather. If a player chose to use it I would also inform them that they are at a -2 penalty versus lightning and electricity attacks from the increased conductivity. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:32 am 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

My Elves use Bronze -1 a/c for armour, -1 die damage for weapons. Bronze costs double the price of iron/steel

This does not include blunt weapons (should an Elf be using one; funnel competence or whatever) and I allow arrows and Javelins to do full damage but I don't allow them to be recovered as the heads only have one good use in them, hit or miss (Can't hamstring the Elven bowman and paying double is enough). Elves can choose when they take up the Mithril offer as described in the rules; most take the weapon immediately (usually a sword) and save up for some good armour. For those spurning Armour I would allow another weapon if preferred.

I'm quite strict on the Iron thing too: wearing Iron armour is an instant -1 die on everything and 1HP per hour and wielding an Iron weapon is -1 action die and -1 damage die and 1HP damage every 6 hours; the penalties do stack. The Elf is WAY better off wearing Bronze.