Crawl! New Class Challenge: GNOME!

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Pick your favorite version of the DCC RPG Gnome!

Poll ended at Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:38 am

Gnome by sheriffharry https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id ... O8DHEs&amp
44%
Gnome by GnomeBoy https://docs.google.com/document/d/1noY ... ZksX8/edit
22%
Boki by ragboy https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZTk ... F7tBE/edit
33%

Total votes: 9

reverenddak

Crawl! New Class Challenge: GNOME!

Post by reverenddak »

Ok! Now for the next phase of the New Class Challenge. Your version of a classic class for DCC RPG can be featured in an upcoming issue of Crawl! But it's gotta be good!

Post your proposal in this thread. Don't worry about too many specific details. I want to see concepts and features that separates them from the core classes. Don't worry about tables & charts. If there are any new or weird concepts or theory behind your proposal, include them at the end of the post. Use a format like this:

Name of the Class: (i.e. Dark Knight)
Class Description: (i.e. The dark knight is blah blah blah...)
Class Features: (i.e. Hit Points, Weapon training, Alignment, Attack..., special feature 1, etc...)
Notes: (optional, i.e.The new concept, unique ideas and examples.)

This thread is specifically for the: GNOME ONLY! Don't chime in until everyone has posted their proposals.
Last edited by reverenddak on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Crawl! New Class Challenge: GNOME!

Post by sheriffharry »

Here’s my Gnome:
Go Gnome!

The DCC RPG Gnome (Illusionist)
by Yves Larochelle (sheriffharry)
-----------------

Gnomes are mischievous distant cousins of the dwarves. They are small in size, rarely reaching more than 40 inches in height and 90 pounds in weight and can live up to 600 years of age. Gnomes are magical beings; they are very proficient with illusions and have better magic resistance than other races. Unlike the dwarves, gnomes usually live above ground, preferring forest and garden to underground or brick and mortar habitations. Gnomes are curious and playful by nature but can also show extreme bravery and fellowship when danger shows up.

Hit points: Because of their frail nature, gnomes gain 1d5 hit points each level.

Weapon training: Gnomes usually don’t like to fight with weapons. If forced to defend themselves, they will use dagger, dart, sling or staff.

Alignment: Since gnomish lifestyle is based on freedom and nature, they usually are neutral but chaotic and, more rarely, lawful gnomes have been encountered.

Level limitation: Gnomes are simple, humble creatures, they don’t save the universe from annihilation or become demigods and hence are limited to level 1 to 5.

Magic: Gnomish magic is solely based on illusion, deception, mirage and trickery. Spellcasting for gnomes follow wizard’s rules, but the gnome can’t have “patrons” and their spell list is limited to the following: 1st lev: Charm person, Color spray, Magic shield, Read magic, Ropework, Sleep, Ventriloquism, 2nd lev: Detect invisible, ESP, Invisibility, Knock, Levitate, Magic Mouth, Mirror Image, Phantasm, Scare, 3rd lev: Consult spirit, Dispel magic, Fly, Haste, Slow, Turn to stone, 4th lev: Polymorph, Transmute Earth.

Spell check: 1d20 + gnome level + Int modifier (+ possibly the SIT die, see below)

New spell: Scripted Illusion – Level 2 – range: 100’+20’ per CL (once the spell is cast, the gnome can move away) – duration: 2 rounds per CL – Casting Time: 1 action – Save: Will save vs. spell check DC to disbelieve
Manifestation: The gnome creates an illusion that will start with or react to somebody’s actions. For example, the illusion might suddenly show a fire wall at a certain time of day, or a sleeping dragon that wakes up when somebody walks near by.
Corruption: Roll 1d3: (1) caster’s eyes become transparent, he/she is blind for 1d5 rounds; (2) caster’s body becomes ethereal for 1d5 hours every day; (3) caster becomes permanently inflicted with smallpox.
Misfire: Roll 1d3: (1) the gnome face appears prominently in the illusion; (2) the illusion script is reversed (i.e. the dragon go to sleep when somebody walks near); (3) a huge rainbow appears starting at the left foot of the caster and follow him/her for 1d5 hours.
--
1 Lost, failure, Roll 1d3+Luck: (0-1) corruption; (2-3) misfire
2-11 Lost. Failure.
12-13 Failure, but spell is not lost.
14-17 The illusion follows planned script.
18-20 The illusion duration is doubled.
21-24 The Illusion is particularly potent and adversaries failing a DC 15 Will check will flee, be charmed, etc. (depending on the actual form/script).
25+ The scripted illusion becomes permanent.

Sturdy Illusionist Trick (SIT): Gnomes sometimes cast special illusions that become “sturdy” or solid. This special magical power is akin to Warrior’s Mighty Deed of Arms (MDA) in regards to game mechanics: whenever the gnome casts a spell, he can add a description of the precise manifestation of his/her illusion. If the judge consider it appropriate in relation to the situation and the adversaries, he can allow the player to add a Sturdy Illusionist Trick (SIT) die to the spell check roll (see table below).
If the SIT roll is 3 or higher, the illusion becomes “sturdy” (thick/real/solid) and causes combat damage to an adversary on top of its other effects. The judge should describe the exact form of the damage according to the context. The damage is a one-time automatic hit doing 1d5 of damage per level of the gnome, and can also be fire-based, cold-based, etc. If the SIT roll is 5 or higher the illusion is also especially impressive and the adversary must roll a DC 10+the level of the gnome Will check or flee in panic for 1d5 rounds.

Magic resistance: Gnomes are especially resistant to magic. There is a 10% chance per gnome level that any magic spell or effect targeting them will dissipate on contact with the gnome (this is additional to any other save check applicable).

Night vision: Gnomes can see at night up to 75’ outside, 50’ underground.

Animal friendship: Since gnomes are very close to nature, there is a SIT die X 10% (ex. at level 3: 1d5X10%) chance that any animal, bird or insect will become “friendly” with a gnome, protecting him/her or perform a small task for him/her. Minimal communication, but not an actual “speak with animal” skill, is also possible. The animal will not become a “familiar” and will leave afterwards.

Gem affinity: Gnomes can detect the presence of large quantity of gems and various other precious stones (10% per level).

Level/Atk/Crit die/Act Dice/SIT die/Known spells/Max Spell level/Ref/Fort/Will
1/+1/1d6I/1d20/d3/3/1/+1/+1/+1
2/+1/1d6I/1d20/d4/4/1/+1/+1/+1
3/+2/1d8I/1d20/d5/5/2/+2/+2/+1
4/+2/1d8I/1d20/d6/6/3/+2/+2/+2
5/+3/1d10II/1d20+1d14/d7/8/4/+2/+3/+3

Gnome titles:
Level-Title
1-Trickster
2-Charmer
3-Illusionist
4-Master Illusionist
5-Copperfield

APPENDIX
Zero-level occupations for gnomes
:
- Gnome gardener – hand garden fork (as dagger) – bag of flower weeds, green thumbs
- Gnome entertainer – black wand (as staff) – shiny black top hat, white gloves
- Gnome stroller – walking stick (as staff) – pants with large pockets (small rocks, thread)

(Disclaimer: two ideas from svaragog’s post of July 15th, 2012 were reengineered for this gnome.)

svaragog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by svaragog »

Awesome write up there man! Also thanks for the nod. :)

Svaragog
svaragog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by svaragog »

Hmmmm.... I don't know about Gnomes now, espcially after watching the following video. Watch at your own risk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F677g88k ... re=related

Svaragog
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

GNOME

Many inhabitants of the world think they know all about Gnomes. But Gnomish culture is secretive and remote and guarded. Meanwhile, many individual Gnomes, whose advanced curiosity dares them to enter the broader society of the world, adapt quite radically to it, an innovate within society in unexpected ways, giving a false impression of what most Gnomes are like...

Gnomes live in heavily wooded hills and make great use of natural caverns for shelter from the most severe elements. They live an almost naturalist existence, and finding Gnomish dwellings or settlements is next to impossible, unless the Gnomes choose to reveal them to you. They keep a low-profile and impact their surroundings as little as possible.

Many think that Gnomes are master illusionists, casting wizardly spells with great ease to fool the unwary. This is wrong. Gnomes bend reality itself around themselves, or around other people and objects of their choosing. This comes as easily to them as breathing, and is not magic or spellcasting in the same sense that these things are generally understood by folks at large.

Most Gnomes interact little with the other races. Their most closely observed affinity is with the Elves, with whom they share longevity and the perspective that engenders. They are cordial with Dwarves, and about once or perhaps twice in a century, gather with them for a huge feasting. Halflings they tolerate, seeing them as restless and fickle creatures. Humans rarely make sense to Gnomes; they are regarded as a kind of alien curiosity.

Gnomes stand 2-3' tall and weigh in at around 30 pounds.

Hit Points: Small, but tenacious, Gnomes use a 1d7 for hit points.

Weapons: Gnomes encountered 'in the wild' make use of the following: blowgun, club, dagger, dart, handaxe, sling and spear. Those who have had more contact with 'civilization' may employ the flail, longsword, shortbow, short sword, or warhammer.

Alignment: Gnomish culture tends toward Neutrality, though individuals may wander from this path.

Altervision: Natively inhabiting dense forests and natural caverns, Gnomes can see 30-70' in the dark (1d5+2 x10').

Gnomish Container: Gnomes commonly bend reality around containers, and every Gnome can do this. For those of a more fighterly persuasion it it often their scabbard, sheath, quiver or ammo pouch, but it can be any container they choose. The capacity of that container is their Level+1 times the normal capacity. So for a 1st Level Gnome, a backpack could hold twice as much loot as other backpacks of the same size. The scabbard of a 3rd Level Gnome (3+1=4 times capacity) could appear to be sized for his own height, but contain the sword of an ogre. Finding an item in a Gnomish Container is as easy retrieving the item from the same non-modified container, but only for Gnomes (others will have to search through the full effective capacity of the container). A Gnome can choose to return such a container to normal at any time, but the container will not return to normal by simply being left behind, or out of their possession. A Gnome can have multiple such containers in effect at a time, but they must divide the size that they could make one container among all containers they have altered (i.e., a 5th Level Gnome could have one container of 6x capacity, or three at 2x each, etc.). The weight of a Gnomish Container is equal to the normal, empty weight of that container. There is nothing known to prevent a Gnomish Container from being, say, a house, or other not-generally-considered-a-"container" construct.

Stealthiness: Gnomes can use Sneak Silently and Hide in Shadows as a Thief of their same Level and Alignment when in their native terrain (usually forested hills and underground caverns). They do not get backstab benefits from these skills, though they may attempt to use them for surprise. They can share this ability for one minute with another being within 5' at the cost of a point of Fatigue (see Gnomish Theurgy below).

Gnomish Theurgy: Gnomes gain access to the following spells automatically as they level up, representing their ability to alter reality: Cantrips, Ventriloquism, Force Manipulation, Forget, Mirror Image, Levitate, Invisibility. They choose one ability at 1st Level, and an additional ability at each even-numbered level. To use these Theurgic abilities, they roll: 2d10 + Level + Personality Modifier. If the spell has a target of 'Self', the Gnome may choose instead to cast it on another. There is no chance of corruption, and any result of 'Loss' does not cause them to lose that ability, but rather to accrue a point of Theurgic Fatigue. Each Gnome can accrue their (Level + 2 + Personality Modifier) points of Theurgic Fatigue, at which point they loose access to these abilities until the Gnome has had a significant rest. For each point of Theurgic Fatigue accrued, their Theurgic check roll is penalized by one.

Freedom of Movement: Using their reality bending nature, Gnomes can move over impeding terrain, such as through underbrush, over sand, across uneven cavern floors, or even under water, as if moving normally on a firm level surface. They can share this ability with one other being within 5'. Each minute of using this ability generates one point of Fatigue, as noted under Gnomish Theurgy.

Gnomish Protection: Gnomes wearing nothing more than padded armor (or it's equivalent or less) gain the benefit of an AC bonus of one-half their Level (rounded down).

Gnomish Aptitude: At 1st Level, the Gnome must be on either the Fighter Track or the Theurgist Track, and follow that path throughout.

• Those on the Fighter Track gain an additional +1 to all Attack Rolls, and can wield weapons much larger than themselves, by virtue of their reality bending nature. They can handle anything up to a weapon sized for a Hill Giant (assuming they can acquire such), without penalty or encumbrance, and gain any bonus damage for such a weapon deemed appropriate by the Judge (suggested +2 damage per doubling in size). They also gain improved Crit dice and Action dice, as noted below.

• Those on the Theurgist Track gain an additional Gnomish Theurgy ability at 1st Level. At every even Level, they can gain either an additional chosen Gnomish Theurgy ability, or another spell (as would a wizard), rolling randomly to determine a new spell, or incorporating something discovered in the campaign. Theurgist Gnomes use 2d12+Lvl+PerMod for their Gnomish Theurgy, and use 2d10+Lvl+PerMod for casting any other spells they might learn. The spells cast by a Gnomish Theurgist should be understood as alterations of the target's perception and of the reality around them. If they are completely convinced they are being burned by a fireball, they will suffer as per a real, fully fledged fireball. The power of suggestion should not be underestimated. Judges should not overplay the chances for targets to 'see past' these mind-tricks, because they are more than mere mind-tricks, though there may be some very small chance on occasion (based on circumstances) for a diminished effect (Will saves vs. DC 13+Gnome Level, with each point over the DC reducing the spell check result).

Code: Select all

Table G: Gnomes
Level........Atk..............Crit*..............Act...............Ref...............Fort...........Will
1........ ....0...............1d8/III............1d20...............+1...............+0...............+1
2............+1...............1d8................1d20...............+1...............+0...............+2
3............+1...............1d10...............1d20...............+2...............+1...............+2
4............+2...............1d10...............1d20...............+2...............+1...............+3
5............+2...............1d10...............1d20...............+3...............+2...............+3
6............+3...............1d12...............1d20+1d14..........+3...............+2...............+4
7............+3...............1d12...............1d20+1d16..........+3...............+3...............+4
8............+4...............1d14...............1d20+1d20..........+4...............+3...............+5
9............+4...............1d16...............1d20+1d20..........+4...............+4...............+5
10...........+5...............1d20...............1d20+1d20*.........+4...............+4...............+6
* Gnomes of the fighter track use one die-type higher for critical hits, and gain an additional 1d14 action die at 10th Level

NOTE: As my GG forum name implies, I've played lots of gnomes. Never the 'by the book' gnomes, though (and not exclusively by any means). This class is an attempt to get to where I think RPG gnomes should be by my own sensibilities, and pays tribute to several characters I played over the years, stretching as far back as the original AD&D. It is essentially a distillation and a mash-up of 25-ish years of playing Gnomes!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

I like this version Gnomeboy. This is alot closer to how I think gnomes SHOULD have been made in those other RPGs.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Ok, time for an update. I've been watching these forums, and I've been hesitant to reply so to not influence or sway any designs.

I think it's perfectly fine, for now, to throw out your concepts and get some input on your ideas & designs. But get ready to finalize and complete the class for submission. It's OK to link to the finished class, but make sure it's viewable to the general public. I recommend using Google Docs, because you can draft the text, make tables and lists. Format is not "as" important at this time, but any tables and charts need to be complete. Also avoid any "references" to other classes. They should be complete classes. For example, "Weapon proficiency as Thief" doesn't fly, list them out. References to Mighty Deeds and Spells are fine

It's also worth noting that although some classes may not be specifically "Appendix N", the influence is there. And while DCC RPG heavily emphasises Appendix N, the way we play is heavily inspired by Old-school D&D. Quite frankly, simply and obviously, people want to play these classes. So that's the focus. All four classes are "Classic" D&D classes, and all four classes were voted for because people feel they're "missing" from DCC RPG. So there is nothing wrong with these classes having D&D flavor vs mythology or even Appendix N. That's part of the challenge. Create the class you want to see that will fill the desire of the missing class. People want to play these classes in DCC RPG, so it's probably in your best interest to make them familiar. But at the same time, the opportunity to innovate and create something new and interesting should not be ignored or dismissed.

On that note, let's give it another week! I'd like to see more concepts for each class. But start finalizing and tightening up your classes!

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

Hello everyone,

Here is my gnome in GOOGLE DOCS format! (with a shiny new clear and funky level/stats Table!, using the exact same stats though..):

sheriffharry's DCC RPG gnome
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Here's mine:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1noY ... ZksX8/edit

Fixed a few typos, otherwise it is what's above.

Got some artwork in progress, too...
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

GnomeBoy wrote:Here's mine:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1noY ... ZksX8/edit

Fixed a few typos, otherwise it is what's above.

Got some artwork in progress, too...
I think this has some cool ideas to it, particularly the container and "reality bending" movement, but I'm not a big fan of (what seems to me) the complexity. Could it, should it, be simplified somewhat? Maybe drop down a hit die, remove the fighter part (c'mon, they're gnomes!), and maybe juice up the spell-like powers? I still think fusing them with old school, Eldritch Wizardry druids would be cool... Or, perhaps, pilfering a bunch of stuff from psionics in that supplement (but, of course, vastly simplifying it)?

Just some thoughts. When I think of gnomes, I think first of Tom Bombadil... not just a short dwarf with a couple minor spell powers, which is how AD&D et al. seemed to view them.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

I hear what you're saying Beer, but my design was distilled from characters that I've played, and I grabbed what I thought would be the collection of the most fun stuff for me. Very much a "I'd love to play this character, maybe others would, too" direction, not at all a "this is what people think of when they think of Gnomes" direction.

I am not in the camp of wanting old AD&D classes recreated for DCC.

And as for the 'inspiration' of the fighter aspect -- the first time I created a Gnome character back in the 80s, she kept winding up as the last character standing, facing off against some very powerful foes (including Sekola(sp?) the shark god, at one point). The fights would always come down to the point of "whoever hits next is going to take out the other one" and it kept always being my gnome who'd take down whatever it was that took down the rest of the party. She was (and is) a badass, and to not have that fighting mettle in there would have felt so wrong.

My gnomes don't wear pointy hats. :mrgreen:

sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

GnomeBoy wrote: My gnomes don't wear pointy hats. :mrgreen:
But... but... REAL gnomes DO wear pointy hats!! (or hats with points for that matter...):
:wink:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't totally on top of this, but the NEXT issue (#6) is going to be the compilation issue with these new classes. So far only TWO gnomes?

Please check to make sure I have the right links. The polls will go up tonight or tomorrow:

Gnome by sheriffharry https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id ... O8DHEs&amp
Gnome by GnomeBoy https://docs.google.com/document/d/1noY ... ZksX8/edit

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

reverenddak wrote:So far only TWO gnomes?
It's a small market!

http://youtu.be/oShTJ90fC34

...meanwhile, my link works.

ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Here's my entry... the boki (or dirt fey if you're being rude).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZTk ... F7tBE/edit

Disclaimer: I have no idea where the picture came from...it's been on my hard drive for years and was the inspiration for my version of the gnome...
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

Go Gnome!
VOTE!
:wink:
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Come on people... no love for the gnomes?
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile

Return to “Characters”