Crawl! New Class Challenge! Intro (& suggestions thread.)

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Crawl! New Class Challenge! Intro (& suggestions thread.

Post by sheriffharry »

Vanguard wrote:
sheriffharry wrote:In the spirit of Appendix N, there should also be some kind of very powerful "magic-user" almost always succumbing to madness and corruption. Something like a NECROMANCER or a DEMONOLOGIST. But playable. Can it be done? I doubt it.

;)
I think you underestimate me.
That's the spirit!
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

Personally, I dislike the kung-fu style Monk. I don't feel it belongs.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Blood Axe wrote:Personally, I dislike the kung-fu style Monk. I don't feel it belongs.
That makes the assumption that the people requesting it would necessarily be using it in an Occidental setting. ;) I think it'd be great because it'd open up more OA-style play and settings because the Samurai is already modelled easily by the Warrior, and the Ninja is already easily modelled by a Thief, but nothing yet models the martial artist monk well. Plus, depending on how it is implemented, it could be reskinned to use for a Pugilist or (if you want to go back to the likes of ancient Rome or Greece) a Pankratiast. Add in how many people enjoy it based on its existing legacy, and it's a popular choice.

Colin
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

A gnome class is really a magical halfling, a druid is a wilderness cleric, a ranger is a wilderness fighter and an illusionist a variant wizard. I would like to see versions of all of these but really the monk, the psionicist and the bard are distinctive enough for me.

I wonder about the paladin. I am fiddling with the idea of a holy warrior type. One could argue that it is just a variant of the warrior class like the examples above.
You could have two or three variants in the class. Along the lines of the thieves paths and abilities of alignment in DCC, a holy warrior could be Lawful, Chaotic or Neutral. The RC has options for those three alignments in the Paladin, Avenger and Knight choices I think.
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

The Necromancer I'm building is more of a template that you could place over your Wizard. Spellburn works differently, access to Necromancer-only spells, restrictions on other spells, and a few minor tweaks (wait until you see this table for Gravetouched traits I'm working on).

The Bard is in the works too. I'm still fiddling with some thing, but the basic work is done. I'm just more wrapped up in this Necromancer business at the moment.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
svaragog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by svaragog »

I was toying with a gnome class. Making more than just a "magical halfling". I would have the gnome be more able to cast illusion type spells or just have give the gnome access to only illusion spells. Not only that, and give him the dwarf ability to sniff out gems (just gems). Not sure what I would do beyond that, still tossing around a few more ideas.
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

svaragog wrote:I was toying with a gnome class. Making more than just a "magical halfling". I would have the gnome be more able to cast illusion type spells or just have give the gnome access to only illusion spells. Not only that, and give him the dwarf ability to sniff out gems (just gems). Not sure what I would do beyond that, still tossing around a few more ideas.
I like that a lot!: gnome/illusionist, including a couple of new spells ??, or maybe even "exclusive" spells linked to illusion (phantasmal force/programmed illusion/mirror image/hallucinatory terrain or the like).

+ the gnome should have some kind of magic resistance (I would like to see a % on top of the regular save) and minimal "underground" scouting skills.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Blood Axe wrote:Personally, I dislike the kung-fu style Monk. I don't feel it belongs.
They appear in REH. Particularly, The Hour of the Dragon.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

Again with the abbreviations. LOL. What is REH?

If you like Monks, then go with it. Its just not for me.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Robert E. Howard. The creator of Conan and Solomon Kane (and a host of other heroes). He includes monks in the only Conan novel he wrote, The Hour of the Dragon.

I am not suggesting that you must use monks; I am suggesting that they fit within Appendix N literature, because they appear within Appendix N literature.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

Raven_Crowking wrote:He includes monks in the only Conan novel he wrote, The Hour of the Dragon.
I can remember the priests of Asura, the creepy Khitan man-hunters with their scaly staffs and Thutothmes with the Stygian sorcerers/priests of the Black Ring but I cannot remember any monks as such in The Hour of the Dragon. I would label Hadrathus of the cult of Asura as a cleric I suppose.
I love The Hour of the Dragon (Conan the Conquerer when I read it) It is a great Conan story. Pulp at it's lurid best!

I would like to see any classes for DCC. The option is there for people to use them or not to. I myself have never used gnomes as a race or class in a game but if a player wants to, it is all good to me. If someone wants to play a monk, that can be incorporated into a setting too.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

You can pretty much do a monk with MDoA, too. Except it would lack the ridiculously overpowered movement, AC, open hand damage, innate spell like abilities, and multiple attacks from AD&D onward. :roll:

It would, however, be a vast improvement over the AD&D and onward monk class.

I could see a warrior "monk" using a bo-staff or a spear for trip attacks all over the place, combined with a finishing foot stop on the throat. You'd have to be built on speed, though, since AC would be sorely lacking. But it could be done with MDoA I think and defense / parry actions to give you bonuses to AC. It'd take a bit of getting used to, probably would need to watch a lot of Kung Fu movies to get he hang of the dramatic narrative... i.e. it's not a move up, engage in melee, kill monster kind of affair, would be a lot of parrying for a couple rounds then whacking multiple enemies. Or so I envision it.

You could quest for strange powers, like Bruce Lee's one-inch-punch. Or dim mak, heh. That is, of course, what everyone thinks they want anyway. Of course, maybe DCC requires some corruption possibility to acquire such a potent power!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Flexi wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:He includes monks in the only Conan novel he wrote, The Hour of the Dragon.
I can remember the priests of Asura, the creepy Khitan man-hunters with their scaly staffs and Thutothmes with the Stygian sorcerers/priests of the Black Ring but I cannot remember any monks as such in The Hour of the Dragon. I would label Hadrathus of the cult of Asura as a cleric I suppose.
I love The Hour of the Dragon (Conan the Conquerer when I read it) It is a great Conan story. Pulp at it's lurid best!

I would like to see any classes for DCC. The option is there for people to use them or not to. I myself have never used gnomes as a race or class in a game but if a player wants to, it is all good to me. If someone wants to play a monk, that can be incorporated into a setting too.
What you remember as "creepy Khitan man-hunters". You should re-read the novel. Actually, reading REH is seldom a bad idea. If I were to create a DCC monk, this is what that monk would be based off of.
SoBH pbp:

sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

beermotor wrote:You can pretty much do a monk with MDoA, too. Except it would lack the ridiculously overpowered movement, AC, open hand damage, innate spell like abilities, and multiple attacks from AD&D onward. :roll:
What about "quivering palm"!!??

"Gained at 13th level(Master of Winter):Perhaps the most terrible power ,is that fabled attack which enables the monk to set up vibrations in the body of the victim,and the monk can then control such vibrations so as to cause death to occur when the monk stops them.Known as the "quivering palm",the monk merely touches his victim to set up the deadly vibrations.the victim can be virtually any creature.The power is limited as follows:
1)It can be attempted but once per week,and the monk must touch the intended victim within 3 melee rounds or the power is drained for one week.
2) It has no effect on the undead or creatures which can only be hit with magical weaponry.
3)The victim cannot have more hit dice than the monk using the power,and in any event,the total hit points of the victim cannot exceed those of the monk by more than 200%,or the power has no effect.
4)The command to die(the control of the vibrations) must be given by the monk within a set time limit,or else the vibrations simply cease on their own accord and do no damage whatsoever.The time limit of the death command is one day per level of experience the monk has gained at the time the power is used."

No quivering palm, no monk in my book!
:mrgreen:
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

Just spitballing ideas here, but the Monk would have access to a tiny skill list, +6 saves all around, and a "combat style" type thing where, instead of "deeds", they would choose from the list of moves: flurry of blows, stunning fist, etc.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Ok, there doesn't seem to be any concerns about the format. So I'm going to start a proper thread to propose classes, and then in a day or two I'll set up a poll.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
8bitlover
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by 8bitlover »

I Like the idea of psychics and monks so those two are on the top of my list.

My crazy idea though is that Monks are psychic. You would have two separate paths to take.
One is more of a "mentalist" giving abilities like telekinesis,psychokinetic swords etc.
The other is more of a traditional martial artist that uses inner focus to able to do amazing physical feats.

Return to “Characters”