Atributes for non-human races (?)

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Devil Swine
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Atributes for non-human races (?)

Post by Devil Swine »

If you give a penalty and a bonus be prepared for what you start.

Halflings get a -1 to str and a +1 to agil be prepared for 19 Agil. Halflings in all those games were almost defaulted to Thieves,something they are NOT in DCC.

Halflings in all those games were chosen races not random race/occupations that they are in DCC.

Halflings in all those other games were NOT the two weapon adventurers that they are in DCC. It would be safe to say any Halfling in DCC would kick the living #$%$ out of Frodo. A DCC Halfling would be winning the number of kills challenge that his Elf and Dwarf companions were playing and be yelling for the humans to get the lead out of there arse!

Halflings in DCC are NOT Hobbits.

Hobbits are tougher than they look and less corruptible but with a warm and caring nature that was better suited tending to a farm or small children.

Halflings are daring adventurers who wield a weapon in each hand(that's right one aint enough!) and push there luck as far as it can go at every opportunity!

If you want to turn them into hobbits,well what a friggin waste but go right ahead and knock yourself out.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Isn't "I've never seen any game where they weren't hobbits" more reason for them to not be hobbits? To me, it is.

Re-reading the flavor description of Halflings in the DCC book though... it seems they are meant to draw inspiration from hobbits... or at least, those that are not adventurers do.

It seems very clear in one paragraph to be describing Bilbo, wanting nothing more than to just get home... but then it details all the things that Halflings are all capable of at 1st level, and leaves me thinking that if Bilbo is a DCC halfling, the poor guy never even made it to level 1 before he retired... He didn't even speak another language!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Bilbo spoke elvish.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Colin

Post by Colin »

In summation: Halflings can be hobbits or whatever else we want them to be, and as a fictional race can either be grounded in human physical dynamics or not as preferred. The only thing that matters is that everyone is having their fun their way in their own games.

Have I missed anything? ;)

Colin
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Colin wrote:In summation: Halflings can be hobbits or whatever else we want them to be, and as a fictional race can either be grounded in human physical dynamics or not as preferred. The only thing that matters is that everyone is having their fun their way in their own games.

Have I missed anything? ;)

Colin
That seems a pretty good summation to me! Here, have some fish fingers and custard:

SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Devil Swine
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Devil Swine »

Yeah just have fun!

But don't even THINK of touching Elves!............and it starts again.

Return to “Characters”