DCC RPG Old School Zero-Level Character Sheet

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Michael Blake
Ill-Fated Peasant

DCC RPG Old School Zero-Level Character Sheet

Post by Michael Blake »

I am getting back into RPGs after being away for a long, long time, and put together this zero-level character sheet to use with my friends.

DCC RPG 0-Level Character Sheet - Complete

The intent of this character sheet is to provide a complete and uncluttered basic character sheet for DCC RPG newcomers to use to create zero-level characters.

Some design goals:
  • 1. Recreate the unstructured free form feel of using blue lined binder paper for your character sheet.
    2. Provide a place to track each piece of information that might be needed by a zero-level character.
    3. Omit items that are not used by zero-level characters, such as class and level based combat modifiers.
    4. Be verbose, so new players have an opportunity to see and become familiar with the complete name of each item. Don't use contractions, newcomers might not be familiar with them. For example, use the full name "Agility Modifier" instead of "Agi Mod".
    5. Do not use a tiny font. And provide plenty of room for the player to write their stats, so they don't feel cramped and have to write in a tiny font.
    6. Fit all the core zero-level information on one page.
    7. Group the information logically, in a way that encourages the new player to see how the different items are related, and how they relate to the gameplay.
If you see any errors or zero-level character items I missed let me know.

I am also putting together a zero-level character creation guide to be used with this character sheet. And I am thinking of making a version of this character sheet to use for classes first level and up.
Last edited by Michael Blake on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: DCC Old School Zero-Level Character Sheet

Post by finarvyn »

Hey, Michael -

1. Welcome to the boards.

2. Nice first post -- lots of good ideas here; I particularly like the notion of using full names for things, as this can be a problem for newbies. Of course, many 0th level characters are run by veteran players but they probably wouldn't object to having full names of things on the sheet. :wink:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: DCC Old School Zero-Level Character Sheet

Post by GnomeBoy »

Really fun idea!

But shouldn't the vertical line on page two be on the other side...?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Michael Blake
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: DCC RPG Old School Zero-Level Character Sheet

Post by Michael Blake »

finarvyn,

Thanks for the welcome. This looks like a fun community, gathering around an awesome game.

GnomeBoy,

You're hurting my head. The vertical line is on the left side of both pages, which is, of course, the most righteous form of blue binder paper presentation*. . . I thought you were going to say "Isn't the vertical red line too close to the left edge of the page?", which it is. I took a liberty with that and narrowed the left margin to give the player more space on the page.

*Players of a Chaotic disposition may dissent. Not applicable in all campaign settings and verses.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: DCC RPG Old School Zero-Level Character Sheet

Post by GnomeBoy »

Well, the paper I used circa '77/'78 had the red line bleed right through the page (and I think there was a red line on both edges of the paper) -- but of course it all depends on what paper stock you're playing off of and how much verisimilitude you're going for... :D

Of course, this gives me my once-per-year excuse to link back to the character sheet I did back in the 3e days... http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 952#p15952

A hard hard drive crash kyboshed my 4e attempt, and I haven't yet embarked on a DCC sheet of my own... yet. :twisted:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Characters”