Elves

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

VengerSatanis
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Elves

Post by VengerSatanis »

I decided to have the random background roll be separate from racial choices. If you roll "artisan elf", then just use the artisan part and allow the player to choose his own race/class. I'm all for random backgrounds and ability scores, but the choice of who each character is should be solely up the player. If he wants to play an elf with an 8 intelligence or a dwarven street urchin with a 7 strength, that's the player's prerogative.

Other than that, I agree with most of the posts above as to roleplaying through your character challenges.

VS
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

AaronC wrote:Hi guys,
This is my first post, so hello everyone :D

My group just finished our 'character funnel adventure' and I had two character left. One of which is an Elven Artisan. The problem is I only rolled 8 INT for this character. She is the cartoon in the book!
She has +1 Luck, but all the other stats are 0. With the only character class available being Elf with a negative INT and a max spell rank of 2 she seems destined to failure. Is is just me or does the single class option for demi humans, especially elves as magic relies so heavily on INT stat, seem really restrictive?
Was there something I missed or is this stat block+background option that should have been bonked on the head from the start!

thanks for any suggestions.

I did try to throw her in the way of an oncoming gain frog but her death was denied!
pare a thought for the poor sucker somewhere who rolled INT3 and the character survived the Funnel!
Zorrah
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Games Galore

Post by Zorrah »

I know this is quite the necro, but it's still only on second page. Still.

Anyway, fun fact. Isn't the usual literary story of someone trying to increase their intelligence the story of someone who now knows how horrible everything is because their so smart and wind up being unhappy or killing themselves? I love that story, and is very appendix N IMHO.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

VengerSatanis wrote:I decided to have the random background roll be separate from racial choices. If you roll "artisan elf", then just use the artisan part and allow the player to choose his own race/class. I'm all for random backgrounds and ability scores, but the choice of who each character is should be solely up the player. If he wants to play an elf with an 8 intelligence or a dwarven street urchin with a 7 strength, that's the player's prerogative.

Other than that, I agree with most of the posts above as to roleplaying through your character challenges.

VS
This character has the potential to be someone fondly remembered a decade from now.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Mechanic
Gongfarmer

Post by Mechanic »

If your Judge knows you'll bite any hook that has "gets more intelligent" in it, that hook is likely to arise sooner or later.
Play character, mechanic

Return to “Characters”