Custom Character Sheet available for criticism and ridicule

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

NJPDX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Custom Character Sheet available for criticism and ridicule

Post by NJPDX »

I'm no Dyson Logos, but I figured what the hell; it's about time I give something back to the DCC RPG community instead of just gobbling up all of the freebies.

Here's the Link to the pdf: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9F0py ... sp=sharing
And the Microsoft .pub file for those that want to use it and tweak to your heart's content: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9F0py ... sp=sharing
I like dense character sheets with lots of information. If you like simple, half-page affairs, this it aint it.

Critiques are welcome and if there's any interest I'm happy to share the Microsoft .pub file I used to make the PDF.

EDIT:
shared the .pub file and tweaked the original somewhat
Last edited by NJPDX on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Custom Character Sheet available for criticism and ridic

Post by MrHemlocks »

Looks nice. The only thing I would add would be to place some sort of symbol motif in each of the corners. It will bring the paper 'together' more and take away from the 'blockly' styling.

Simply motif that would go with your styling. Maybe connect each with a line or broken pillar/column. It will frame the text better?:

Also, replace the Greek Hoplite with a DCC character class? Like a battle worn ranger resting against a tree...

Just my ideas but yours are fine as they are. Go with it :wink:
NJPDX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by NJPDX »

I played around with some borders and frames, but I haven't really found anything yet that catches my eye; I'm still playing around with it, but good idea regardless. As for the Hoplite, I run an antediluvian/bronzeage themed game, so it suits my taste, but as I said, if anybody is really interested in using this as a template, I can share the .pub file.

Thanks for taking the time to share your impressions.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Thank you for sharing!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Zargon
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Zargon »

I think this is one that may see some use at my gaming table. Thanks for sharing it. I have been trying to make one that will suit my game nicely, but if you're willing to share the pub file for this one, I would like to have a look at it...
Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!
NJPDX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by NJPDX »

I'm doing some editing and "fancifying," but I'll upload it for sure by tomorrow morning (PST). Glad some people are liking it.

Edit:
Links updated
Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Wizard's Asylum

Post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

That's a GREAT looking sheet and will see some use at my table! We'll done!! 8)
Charlie
----------------------------------------------------
I (mainly) blog about role-playing topics at The Semi-Retired Gamer.

Reading: The Lair of Bones by David Farland.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

I like the sheet -- love that you used the slot-based encumbrance system (one of my faves).

Couple of constructive feedback items:

The spell sheet is slightly inaccurate, however -- Turn Unholy checks = d20+level+personality+Luck modifer (I just saw the note at the bottom -- that might be a bit obscure -- dunno if you have the real estate to make it more obvious)

The information for spells in the table aren't necessarily fixed: Range, duration, save -- most spells this is variable.

I'd suggest these for column heads:

Spell Name (& page) Level Mercurial Effects Spell Check (in case it's different) Notes

Space for Thieves' skills...
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
NJPDX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by NJPDX »

Thanks for the feedback! I'm definitely still iterating; things are sure to change as I keep noticing other little niggling things myself.
NJPDX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by NJPDX »

I figured I should take the time to address some of your points
ragboy wrote:I like the sheet -- love that you used the slot-based encumbrance system (one of my faves).

Couple of constructive feedback items:

The spell sheet is slightly inaccurate, however -- Turn Unholy checks = d20+level+personality+Luck modifer (I just saw the note at the bottom -- that might be a bit obscure -- dunno if you have the real estate to make it more obvious)
Noted. The footnote was the best I could think of at the time without taking up a ton of extra space and being overly redundant, especially since "Turn Unholy" is sort of a special case. I'll have to think about this one for a little bit and see if I can't come up with something better.
The information for spells in the table aren't necessarily fixed: Range, duration, save -- most spells this is variable.
Players who have Wizards and Clerics in my game always have full sheet printouts of the spells they know. The column headings I included reflect the format for spells in the rule book; when range, save, etc. is variable that's what I've been writing in the slot, "variable". Mainly this part of the sheet is just meant to provide the player with a quick and dirty reference, nothing comprehensive.
I'd suggest these for column heads:

Spell Name (& page) Level Mercurial Effects Spell Check (in case it's different) Notes
The .Pub file is linked in the first post. Modify to your heart's content!
Space for Thieves' skills...
Definitely agree ... still trying to come up with a solution that doesn't inflate the page count beyond 4. "The Notes" page might need some tweaking?
NJPDX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by NJPDX »

Had a sick day today, so I've tinkered a bit more, but now I'm calling it "done." Mostly because I think it's just about where I want it and partly because I'm pretty hopped up on Nyquil©.

If anybody makes adjustments to the .pub, I'd love to see what you come up with.

Return to “Characters”