Character Goals (aka. DM plot hooks,)

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

SYKOJAK
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Character Goals (aka. DM plot hooks,)

Post by SYKOJAK »

Ok so I was thinking that my Characters needed some long term goals, that were more specifically defined out. This, to give them a reason to go out and seek thier fortune/power. And, to also provide adventure hooks for the DM to design modules/encounters for. Then I thought, hey, what if we made up an optional table that a player could roll on, to provide a reason for thier character to venture out into the unknown.
It might be cool to stylize it by each class, so that way if a player is suffering from "Lack of Imagination" then can just roll for it. Or even if they just wanna roll for it anyways.

Please submit your brainstorming ideas and I might add'em to da list.
There comes a point in time when it all comes down to the roll of a die!
SYKOJAK
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Character Goals (aka. DM plot hooks,)

Post by SYKOJAK »

Cleric Reasons for Adventuring: roll 1d20
Roll: Result
1: You are compelled to wipe out the competion to your god's dominance. This is only one god and you follow him. All other gods
are false Idols. Destroy them all!
2: You feel enlightened to convert those Heathens and Blasmphemers to the one true god, your god!
3: Many centuries ago a Religious artifact fell into enemy hands when a particular city of God was razed to the ground by humanoids. You have just found a clue as to what tribe of creatures may now have that artifact, or may know where that artifact is.
Last edited by SYKOJAK on Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
SYKOJAK
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by SYKOJAK »

Dwarf Reasons for Adventuring: roll 1d20
1: The Boy who smells gold! Ever since a young age you could always find deposits of Precious Metals and Gemstones. Since then you have always been on the lookout for futher deposits of ores and minerals. You are out looking for your next mining business venture.
2: You are a Do-It-Yourself craftsman looking for raw materials to stock up on.
Last edited by SYKOJAK on Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
SYKOJAK
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by SYKOJAK »

Elf Reasons for Adventuring: roll 1d20
1: Many centuries ago an Elven artifact fell into enemy hands when a particular Elven city was razed to the ground by humanoids. You have just found a clue as to what tribe of creatures may now have that artifact, or may know where that artifact is.
2: In your alchemical persuit to make "The Perfect Wine", you seek new ingredients towards that endevour.
Last edited by SYKOJAK on Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
SYKOJAK
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by SYKOJAK »

Halfling Reasons for Adventuring: roll 1d20
1: Living a comfortable life cost money, and supporting your eating habits does not come cheap! So you have decided to hire on with an adventuring group "as a mascot and lucky charm." It is your hope that it will only take 1 trek through the wilds to set yourself up for life!
2: In the Culinary Arts, a Halfling is judged only by thier last made pie! So in order to win this year's "Best Blueberry Pie" Blue Ribbon, at your local County Fair, you have taken up with some adventurers to help you find that missing spice you need.
Last edited by SYKOJAK on Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
SYKOJAK
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by SYKOJAK »

Thief Reasons for Adventuring: roll 1d20
1: Hearing that the locals are all riled up to go take out "the thing on the edge of town," you figure it would be the perfect opportunity to "liberate" any treasures of its lair. Let all the local Yokels get their pent up frustration out, while you help yourself to the goods!
2: Your friend is off to find some lost missing treasure, (book, staff, wand, what-have-you.) You are just going along to help him find it for a cut of the treasure.
Last edited by SYKOJAK on Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
SYKOJAK
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by SYKOJAK »

Warrior Reasons for Adventuring: roll 1d20
1: You have always been a Bully! You feel the need to take from others what they are too weak to keep for themsleves. Hense, you go forth to take from the meek and give to yourself!
2: Your friend is off to find some lost missing treasure, (book, staff, wand, what-have-you.) You are just going along to help him find it for a cut of the treasure.
Last edited by SYKOJAK on Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
SYKOJAK
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by SYKOJAK »

Wizard Reasons for Adventuring: roll 1d20
1: You crave knowledge for knowledge's sake. You search for a particular rare artifact, a Tome of vast power. You seek the Necronomicon!
2: You were kicked out of the Wizards guild for the substance abuse program and now have no where else to go but with those foolish adventurers looking for loot.
Last edited by SYKOJAK on Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

The elevn artifact can also apply to clerics.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Wizards

2. You were kicked out of the Wizards guild for the substance abuse program and now have no where else to go but with those foolish adventurers looking for loot.
Klyngster
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: I'm Board! Games

Post by Klyngster »

You could use the situations set at the beginning of the Zero Level adventures as character goals and plot hooks. I think that the setup for 'The Portal Under the Stars' is an excellent motivation for the players.
Stonebreaker
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Stonebreaker »

I'm currently playing a character in a campaign that started the game with amnesia (spelling?).
The GM and I have had fun with it. He will on occasion throw a curve at me about my characters past, or an NPC will walk up and start talking to my character like a long lost friend. That's how my PC learned his name.
Little by little things are starting to make sense to him (my PC, not the GM).
Stonebreaker
Stop roll playing and start ROLE PLAYING!!!
Play Attention.

Return to “Characters”