Variant Warrior class inspired by Dark-Sun

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

turtlejet
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Zander's Game House

Variant Warrior class inspired by Dark-Sun

Post by turtlejet »

Hopefully it is ok to link to a blog-post. . . I couldn't figure out how to replicate the tables with BBcode.

This is my homage the Mul from Dark-Sun, which is part of a bunch of home-brew classes I'm putting together for a Dark-Sun "with the serial numbers filed off" campaign I'm preparing.

http://www.syntheticsorcerer.com/2018/0 ... -shiv.html
Murlynd
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Variant Warrior class inspired by Dark-Sun

Post by Murlynd »

You're using the setting's old working title of War World. Neat. The original concept of the game, while it was under that working title, didn't include the old standard AD&D races or monsters. Might be an interesting route to go. So, include only the classes and races that were new, dropping the old classes and races or the variants of them, with seven classes total.

Men & Women Classes
Defiler
Gladiator
Preserver
Templar

Racial Classes
Half-giant
Mul
Thri-Kreen

Just how I would do it.

You have the Mul done with the the Shiv (Mul) class!
Thoughts about the write-up.

Skills: Maybe throw some Dark Sun specific occupation names in there.

Weapon Training: All weapons? Maybe make a list that includes some of the Dark Sun weapons rather than all. Perhaps list the weapons they can do their special attack moves (precise attacks, study opponent, Counter Attack).

Ignore Pain and Enhanced healing together seem like a lot of extra health, but maybe when viewed how the other classes get written up they will look ok. There are some downsides to the class (bred to serve). So maybe that is enough of a trade off. Something to double check I suppose.

Precise attacks: Do the bonuses from Agility stack with any strength bonus, or is it which ever is higher?

Study Opponent: Does this work for shiv wearing any armor?

Tables look good. Maybe reserve the title gladiator in the chaotic level progression for the class.

Return to “Characters”