Multiple patrons & losing patrons

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Borrowed_Thyme
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Multiple patrons & losing patrons

Post by Borrowed_Thyme »

Hey all,

I was wondering, has anyone had experience of a running a game with, or playing a PC with multiple patrons? How (badly) did it work out?

I really like the idea of multiple patrons, but I figure that few PCs are foolish enough to give it a go, and the long casting time of patron bond means that it seems unlikely that a PC would bond with a second patron to counter an immediate threat. I know this could be avoided through the use of some magic item, but has anyone managed to steer PCs towards it via other means?

I also wasn't sure about handling the potential conflicts between PC and patrons. I can see how doing something for patron A which directly goes against the interests of patron B would anger them, but how do you handle actions which only peripherally affect the other patron? I know in some cases the patron write up could give some guidance e.g. if a patron is very aloof or inhuman, they may ignore it, but I'm kind of looking for a mechanic to decide whether or not it provokes a reaction.

I wasn't too keen on making it a luck check, as I feel that luck is heavily used for other things, and I wanted something to make it less personal, and more erratic, e.g. a PC doesn't happen to know that their action for patron A inadvertently disrupts the plans of patron B, and earns their displeasure, or the patron, presumably tied up with some otherworldly business, ignores the action.

I've also been thinking about leaving a patron. I'm thinking that the mechanic could be similar, but tending to be much harsher as a result. I suspect that I'll end up making some sort of massive table to roll on. I'm thinking that modifying it by caster level might be a good idea too, as a patron would probably be more concerned about the loss of a powerful ally than a weak one.

Thoughts, anyone?
'It's going to bite me, isn't it?'
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Multiple patrons & losing patrons

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I would definitely allow multiple patrons, but have yet to have a PC take that route.

Acting marginally against the interests of one patron might result in a -1d dice shift to the next Invoke Patron spell check related to the miffed mentor. Cumulative, until you attempt to receive aid from the one you slighted.

I can easily see two patrons, one demanding "Steal the Thing of Things and bring it to my abode" while the other demands "Protect the Thing of Things so that it may not be stolen". How to deal with the conflicting requests is up to the players.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Borrowed_Thyme
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Borrowed_Thyme »

Raven_Crowking wrote: I can easily see two patrons, one demanding "Steal the Thing of Things and bring it to my abode" while the other demands "Protect the Thing of Things so that it may not be stolen". How to deal with the conflicting requests is up to the players.
I was more thinking about the Judge's side of things, if say, the PC (Bonded to Sezrekan and the Three Fates) decided to interfere with the fate of an legendary NPC, who may or may not be favoured by the Three Fates.
'It's going to bite me, isn't it?'
atlascott
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by atlascott »

Since Patrons are jealous of the power they share, I'd think that any attempt at more than one is asking for it.

I would not allow it.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

atlascott wrote:Since Patrons are jealous of the power they share, I'd think that any attempt at more than one is asking for it.

I would not allow it.
Why not consider it, based on the specifics of the situation?

There might be some Patrons who have common goals, who could decide to 'team-up' for awhile... and then what does the character's life become when the Patrons have a falling out?

So much story potential...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
NJPDX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by NJPDX »

I'm reminded of the axiom, "everything is permissible; not everything is advisable."

Double patronage has never come up in my game, since everyone seems terrified of patron magic, but it seems like just the kind of situation I would love to judge if only for the opportunity to generate hooks and develop creative corruption and taint results.

Return to “Magic and Spells”