Newbie question about the Read Magic Spell

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

donpimpom
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Newbie question about the Read Magic Spell

Post by donpimpom »

How the Read Magic spell works? to be more precise, when he Read Magic spell should be applied?
I know it may look like a silly question, but I'm having some doubts about how to fit this spell in the game system.

It looks like DCC magic writings not always require a Read Magic casting to be understood, for instance, Wizards don't require Read Magic to read their spellbook. May need the spell when trying to read other wizard's spellbook? (assuming the owner has not used Obfuscate Magic on it)

Another case, any class can try to read a magic scroll, so no need of the spell Read Magic to do so. Only if you want to read the scroll without casting it, whats the use of do that? would be like casting identify the scroll?

When a Wizard learns a new spell from a tome or any other writing source must roll to understand and learn the spell, but no mentions about casting read magic in the process.

I have seen some scenarios displaying runes in walls, magic writings with summon circles, etc , they may require a spell check from the caster, no mention about casting a Read Magic.

All in all, while reading the description of the spell his purpose seems clear, and it looks like it's a must have for any wizard, but while reading other chapters, or even scenarios seems like there are shortcuts everywhere for the cases the wizard doesn't has that spell, if so, whats the sense to have that spell? :?

Return to “Magic and Spells”