Magic Item: Ring of the Toad Spirit

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Troll_Mage
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Magic Item: Ring of the Toad Spirit

Post by Troll_Mage »

Recently introduced this into my D&D 3.5 campaign, but should fit nicely into a DCC game. I revised it slightly so it would be more applicable to the DCC system.

Ring of the Toad Spirit
Forged in a long ago age, the ring of the toad spirits, is the result of just grabbing any olde toad from any pond. As it happens, it was pure bad luck for the crafter in this case, grabbing the toad with a trapped spirit of a demon.

When activated the base benefits are: +5 chaos magic bonus Jump, Balance, and Tumble skill checks, +1 chaos magic bonus to initiative, +1 chaos magic bonus to dexterity. An odd side-effect of daily wear is the constant craving for flies, the fatter and juicer the better...mmh yum.

When “activating” the user rolls 1d20 and consults the table below; with the following modifiers, neutral characters apply a -1 to their roll and lawful characters apply a -2 to their rolls.

Base Activation: On a 2 - 20 the base powers are activated and last for 1d4 rounds. On a result of 1 or lower, the toad spirit croaks, roll a 1d20 again and consult the chart below.

Die Roll Result
1 The wearer is transformed into a weretoad for one hour, there is a 01% you become stuck as a toad after 1d4 hours. Make a will save DC 13 or hop away hunting for flies. A powerful dispel magic or arcane dispel spell may be able to break the effect.
2-3 The wearer is transformed into a tiny weretoad for a 1d4 minutes, ravenously hungry for flies. Make a will save DC 13 or hop away hunting for flies.
4-17 The skill bonus is increased to +6
18-19 The skill bonus is increased to +8
20 The skill bonus is increased to +10, the initiative bonus is +2, and gain +5 to movement for 1d4 hours.
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Magic Item: Ring of the Toad Spirit

Post by DM Cojo »

I like this magic item...thanks for sharing!
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Magic Item: Ring of the Toad Spirit

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I like it. Thanks for sharing!
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.

Return to “Magic and Spells”