Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: manifestation
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:28 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Do you roll a new manifestation each time you cast? Or once for your character, as sort of a signature "this is how I do it" kind of like the mercurial magic roll?

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

Post subject: Re: manifestation
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:59 am 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Once at the beginning when spells are determined but my players tend to forget about the manifestation in play & it hasn't really added anything to our game.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:47 am 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

I just let the players decide. My take on this is that this is flavor for the players, so I give them complete control. They can choose any of the manifestations listed, they can roll once, or every time they cast it, or they can make up their own manifestation. But they cannot cast a spell unless they describe how it manifests :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:06 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

cjoepar wrote:
I just let the players decide. My take on this is that this is flavor for the players, so I give them complete control. They can choose any of the manifestations listed, they can roll once, or every time they cast it, or they can make up their own manifestation. But they cannot cast a spell unless they describe how it manifests :)

I am similar. Sometimes, in the heat of the moment, we forget manifestation. Otherwise, one of two things happens:

(1) The first manifestation rolled is so damn appropriate for the character that we just keep it as that character's signature, or

(2) We reroll every time because the players seem to enjoy it. They roll.

RC

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:43 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

I invite the players to describe their own manifestation, but they mostly just roll... either way the consistent part is that they roll once ever for each spell (though I allow changing of manifestation by spending time "re-learning" the spell)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:15 pm 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

beermotor wrote:
Do you roll a new manifestation each time you cast? Or once for your character, as sort of a signature "this is how I do it" kind of like the mercurial magic roll?

I have them roll every time for manifestation. Unless someone wants a "signature manifestation". So far everyone has had more fun rolling dice! I anticipate we will get some signatures at some point though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:04 am 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Once.