Feather fall question

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Jobe Bittman
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Feather fall question

Post by Jobe Bittman »

Does the duration portion of of feather fall "1 round per round caster level or until landing" means "1 round per caster level or until landing(whichever comes first)"? From the spell text, I assume this is the case.
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Feather fall question

Post by Pesky »

I think the duration listed at the top of the spell description applies to different possible spellcheck results, rather than each and every one. For example, many of the spellcheck results are "no damage if lands before spell expires," implying that the duration continues beyond landing. However, the misfire results and the 32+ result seem to end upon landing.
Terry Olson
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Silver, I believe you have interpreted the rule correctly. There is a pre-defined time for fall assuming that you don't come into contact with anything solid, and the spell tends to go away as soon as you land.

On the other hand, I try to keep things open. What if a wizard came up with some elaborate plan to fall from a cliff, land on a floor, step over to a pit, then drop to the bottom. If this could all be accomplished within the spell's time duration, I'd probably allow it. I like to encourage clever ideas from players and would prefer that the rules not get too much in the way of a nice plan. :wink:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

finarvyn wrote:What if a wizard came up with some elaborate plan to fall from a cliff, land on a floor, step over to a pit, then drop to the bottom. If this could all be accomplished within the spell's time duration, I'd probably allow it.
I was thinking of this as well, but admittedly such uses of the spell would probably be rare.
Terry Olson

Return to “Magic and Spells”