Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Clerics casting invoke patron
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:54 am 

Hello! I am new to the forums. I have run a couple games of DCC RPG and I'm looking to start a campaign in the 3E setting Scarred Lands. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarred_Lands

The gods in Scarred Lands take a much more active role in the lives of mortals (think Greek mythology) and its reflected in a rule in the Ghelspad setting book that the gods can grant small bonuses depending on their areas of influence and the worship by the mortal.

All of these bonuses are +1-3. So, I'm thinking about giving the cleric Invoke Patron and depending how well they roll, they get a better bonus. One god, for example, gives a bonus for healing.

So the character would roll, on a 9 or lower, he fails, on a result of 10-18 is a +1, 19-27 is a +2 and a result of 28 or better is a +3. What the bonus applies to depends on which of the gods the character has chosen to serve.

While not as robust as the wizard's version of a patron, it does give the gods of Scarn a bit of a personality, I think.

Anybody see a problem with this? Or am I missing something in the book that allows the cleric to do this already?

Post subject: Re: Clerics casting invoke patron
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:56 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Given the specificity of your setting, and if that's all it does, why not just make that a Cleric class feature...? Invoke Deity, or some such... Seems like a fairly minor tweak, not worth creating a whole spell around.

Gnome Boy (a.k.a. "Jon") • DCC play-tester @ DDC 35, Feb 2011. • Beta DL 2111, 7:00 AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since 1977 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters - Holds the power to play gnomes at will!

Here Be DCC Monsters...

General Yoros, Warrior, Str 13, Agl 8 (10), Stm 17, Per 13, Int 11, Lck 8; Law, HP 39, AC 17, R+2, F+4, W+2, band/shld, warhammer, longsword, longbow, pitchfork

Han Dee, (Weaver) Neutral Thief, Str 10, Agi 13, Stm 11, Per 11, Int 15, Lck 14, AC 13 (Leather), HP 25, Luck Die d6, Backstab 3, Sneak Silently 10, Hide In Shadows 9, Pick Pocket 10, Climb Sheer 10, Pick Lock 9, Find Trap 9, Disable Trap 9, Forge Doc 10, Disguise 3, Read Lang 5, Handle Poison 3, Cast Scroll d14+2, birth augur (Born under the loom) +1 to all skill checks (including thief skills), Banepicks (auto pick lock/disable trap, but lose 1d3 random ability loss, if a 3 then 1 pt is perm)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:04 am 

I agree. It will act as a spell, meaning it takes time to do and the cleric will have to be able to speak. And even incur deity disapproval on a 1.

But otherwise, in game at least, it would be more like a prayer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:12 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Cleric's can call upon their deity for divine aid -- but I've always interpreted this as a "last-ditch-oh-my-god-we're-going-to-die-please-help" kinda roll. You could use this mechanic and use a gradient of penalties to Deity Disapproval -- based on the nature of the request. Currently, the penalty is +10 to the disapproval range.

I have toyed with, and even used, some of the Patron rules with clerics and deities. Some deities are also patrons, and these deities grant some wizard-like abilities to their clergy -- like Invoke Patron. I think in a world where spirits, demons and ghosts may be worshiped as deities, and deities are truly a loose term, it shouldn't make a huge difference. The cleric could be rolled into the wizard class with certain patrons granting cleric-like abilities to its followers... but I haven't got that far, yet.

The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile