Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Wizards and cleric spells (detect magic)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:28 am 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Just a quick question on wizards that have access to cleric spells...how do you handle them?

For example, Detect Magic is a cleric spell allowed to be known by wizards...it only fails for a wizard on rolling a 1; per the footnote rules at the bottom of the spell listing table in tiny text it briefly mentions that there will be either a misfire or corruption (50% of one or the other).

Ruled as is, my wizard at the table kept recasting Detect Magic without spell loss due to a low roll (like most wizard spells). Just wondering if I am missing something around spell loss due to a low roll?

Post subject: Re: Wizards and cleric spells (detect magic)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:02 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

I would think that any misfire results in loss. Is Detect Magic the only spell that doesn't have loss as written?

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:50 am 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

8bitjunkie wrote:
Just a quick question on wizards that have access to cleric spells...how do you handle them?

For example, Detect Magic is a cleric spell allowed to be known by wizards...it only fails for a wizard on rolling a 1; per the footnote rules at the bottom of the spell listing table in tiny text it briefly mentions that there will be either a misfire or corruption (50% of one or the other).

Ruled as is, my wizard at the table kept recasting Detect Magic without spell loss due to a low roll (like most wizard spells). Just wondering if I am missing something around spell loss due to a low roll?

Treat 1-11 as Lost and Failure.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:31 am 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

I eventually did treat 2-11 as lost and failure (1 as miscast or corruption).

But, I think there is a need here for clarification in the reprint, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something around cleric spells on the wizards list in the book.