Limits to Spell Burn?

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Limits to Spell Burn?

Post by cjoepar »

Yes, excellent point Gameogre. When you look at things in the long run, Mighty Deeds do sound better.

But when it comes to dramatically changing the outcome of an encounter, at low level I think they pale in comparison to most spell effects that a Wizard can achieve by spellburning 10 or 12 points and rolling well.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

I think in the end the Mighty deeds are much more useful on an everyday basis, but the spellburn has the potential for the once-in-the-adventure spectacular nuke effect. Which makes these mechanics both interesting and distinct.

In my games, I have yet to see a single spellburn beyond a few points. So to those who are wary of continuous spellburns and other 15-minute adventuring month phehomenons, I can simply say that in practice I have not encountered anything even remotely problematic in that respect. I think it's one of those things that, when read, might tick off the red alert light; but when you play, you realize that it simply is not a problem (not even a small one).

All IMHO, of course, and with the limited play I've have up to now (which is becoming less and less limited mind you, with two online games and one tabletop game).

Cheers!

Sky
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Monster
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Monster »

Gameogre wrote:
cjoepar wrote:
Monster wrote: Compare that to the might deeds at each level that cost the warrior...Nothing?
IMO, a spell result in the high 20's + is hardly comparable to a mighty deed.

I agree! The Mighty Deeds are WAY WAY out of wack!

Your next game add up all the damage(from Might Deed) and effects for the entire game and then add up the same for Spellburn! I don't know about you're game but in mine the Mighty Deed is the True Power at the table. Heck Spellburn is just a poor stepchild sitting alone off in a corner.

All because spellburn blows everything in one massive burst and Mighty Deed just keeps on getting it every single round.

Add to that low hit points,low ac and a tendency to explode or mutate into unnatural monstrosities and its a wonder ANYONE plays Wizards.
I am the only one. 1 other tried and died badly. It is hard out here for a pimp.
To that creature, you are the monsters hunting it!
Noun mon·ster/mɒnstər/Show Spell[mon-ster]
1. a legendary animal combining features of animal and human form or having the forms of various animals in combination, as a centaur, griffin, or sphinx.
2. any creature so ugly or monstrous as to frighten people.
3. any animal or human grotesquely deviating from the normal shape, behavior, or character.
4. a person who excites horror by wickedness, cruelty, etc.
5. any animal or thing huge in size.
6. any small, unattended children running free
Judge Hook
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Judge Hook »

I've put together an alternative to Table 5-1 (Spellburn Actions) that makes the spellburn actions (i.e. what the wizard has to do besides burn the points) dependent on number of points spellburned + a d20 roll. The lower results are mostly flavor, but the higher results have in-game consequences. I posted this in another thread, so here's a link: http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 72&t=44802

If you don't think they're harsh enough, you can always make your own changes to make them worse for the wizard!

Return to “Magic and Spells”