Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Shield Maiden
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:38 pm 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Here is a spell that has an interesting story to tell... and some explaining to do. :)

The general information provides that Sezrekan discovered a tomb of warrior maidens and struck a pack with the spirits permitting him to summon each of them once. (This seems peculiar, under what condition would a Valkyrie (or shield maiden if you prefer) surrender their will and succomb to a terrible contract of the soul? Whatever the author had in mind, I would like to know. :) )

In addition, we find that at 34+ the Shield Maiden appears astride a pegasus. To which I can only imagine the Pegasus would immediately throw itself upon the evil wizard and trample him until he breathed his last, or the proud steed was vanquished. (They are LG, and lore has it, attack evil on sight!) What is a judge to do? If I concede that the Shield Maiden is soul bound to serve the supplicant of Sezrekan, must I also further my understanding to assume the Shield Maiden dominates the will of her steed, and prevents the death of the evil wizard? Or is there a constant stream of tension between the proud pegasus and the evil will of the wizard, tension which could erupt at any moment whereupon the hooves of law and order pummel upon a wicked skull as the gavel condemns the witch to burn?

Would it not seem the more likely, that the Pegasus should be a Nightmare, and the Shield Maiden a Dark Knight? The world is adrift in ironies I know, but even the tides of Chaos contain some meaningful secrets, secrets which must be shared among those who seek them...

Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!

Post subject: Re: Shield Maiden
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:52 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

FLGS: Bizarro World
...What's "Lawful Good" again? :wink:

If you're layering "old lore" on this game, more power to you — but yes, you may need to re-define the Maidens and steeds into something else.

Another option is to fill in the blanks in new and interesting ways. Maybe after the Shield Maidens' service, they get to take another crack at whatever put them in that tomb... And maybe the pegasi are bent to the will of the Maidens, or have made their own pact, with it's own possibilities... :twisted:

Gnome Boy (a.k.a. "Jon") • DCC play-tester @ DDC 35, Feb 2011. • Beta DL 2111, 7:00 AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since 1977 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

—Here Be DCC Monsters—

VOORAK, L, Hunter, S10, A12, Sm10, P6, I13, L15, AC 10, HP 3, Spear +0 1d8, Init 0; R 0, F 0, W -1, Holy water, Pelt, 3 iron spikes, 1d ration, 4-leaf clover (Find secret doors) (+1), Com +1

SARKLA, C, Gatherer, S9, A14, Sm14, P15, I14, L8, AC 11, HP 5, Knife +0 1d4, Init 1, R 1, F 1, W 1, Chest, Basket of veggies, 2d ration, lg sack, waterskin, torch, Seventh son (Spell checks), Com +1

TARR, C, Hunter, S14, A11, Sm15, P13, I8, L8, AC 10, HP 3, Spear +1 1d8+1, Init 0, R 0, F 1, W 1, Holy water, Pelt, 4 torch, flint/steel, 1d ration, sm sack, Fox's cunning (traps), Com

TELVA, N, Herbalist, S13, A6, Sm9, P6, I12, L10, AC 9, HP 2, Club +1 1d4+1, Init -1, R -1, F 0, W -1, Chain 10', Herbs- 1 lb., 50' rope, 2d ration, torch, Speed of cobra (Init), Com

Post subject: Re: Shield Maiden
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:19 pm 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Something to think about, and that much I have done.

I think further renditions of this spell will utilize a summoned being that mirrors the heart and soul of the caster. And as it stands in my current campaign the caster will relish the slave to which he is bequeathed by the devil that is patron to the spell, but the pegasus is not subject to the cruelty of the master's contract, and once the shield maiden returns to dust, the proud steed will trample the foul fool who once dared claim dominion over such an immortal paragon of law and justice. :)

P.S. If there is more to the story behind this spell, Mr. Goodman, I shall be happy to hear of it...

Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!