Cleric spell and spell duels

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

nstr
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Cleric spell and spell duels

Post by nstr »

I have been reading through the game more carefully now and have noticed a couple of things so far that are not fully addressed. I may have missed something however.

First, it does not seem to indicate which spells Clerics learn except for saying that Clerics have access to the spells of his god as noted on table 1-5. That table just indicates how many spells they know per level. Has anyone seen where there is further clarification or does anyone have recommendations on which spells Clerics have access to or how they get new ones when they gain levels. My only idea so far is to have a list prepared for them to choose from based on their deity.

Second, spell duels are not clear on how a PC might know which spell to use to counter a wizard foe. My assumption is that a PC would have to choose based on the description the judge gives them on what the foe is casting. Any other ideas?
reverenddak

Re: Cleric spell and spell duels

Post by reverenddak »

nstr wrote:First, it does not seem to indicate which spells Clerics learn except for saying that Clerics have access to the spells of his god as noted on table 1-5. That table just indicates how many spells they know per level. Has anyone seen where there is further clarification or does anyone have recommendations on which spells Clerics have access to or how they get new ones when they gain levels. My only idea so far is to have a list prepared for them to choose from based on their deity.
The Core Book isn't specific if it's rolled randomly, or if they're picked. I'd roll them randomly and make sure the spell is appropriate for their chosen god.
Second, spell duels are not clear on how a PC might know which spell to use to counter a wizard foe. My assumption is that a PC would have to choose based on the description the judge gives them on what the foe is casting. Any other ideas?
Your assumption is a good one. You can have some sort of "spell check", the DC being the 10+2x Spell level, to identify. But a good description should be good enough.

House rules in my game usually stem from discrepancies, unclear or vague rules. I usually make a ruling and ask everyone if they think it's fair, but accommodate as much as possible. You'd be surprised how quickly some will agree to a ruling if everyone is involved.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons

Return to “Magic and Spells”