Patron Necessity?

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

darkshardx
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Dice Dojo

Patron Necessity?

Post by darkshardx »

I've just starting judging DCC, and have come across a question regarding wizards and patrons. It was my understanding from the rule book that wizards require a patron to receive their spells. I've been listening through the first few episodes of the Spellburn podcast, and they mention wizards in their campaigns choosing NOT to have a patron.

Do wizards require a patron upon leveling from 0 to 1? I could see wizards experimenting with natural energies and powers and stumbling across a few level 1 spells on their own, but it seems to me that a patron would be required to access much higher magics than the wizard would be capable of alone.

Thanks!
Devmafu
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Titan Games

Re: Patron Necessity?

Post by Devmafu »

"you owe allegiance to no man, aye, but a demon or god may hold sway upon your soul..."
I see nothing here that says you must. In fact, I see the reverse.
It appears that you must have a patron in order to Invoke Patron, but not to cast Wizardy magics.

Then again, it says you "weave magic in consultation..." and "fear for your soul referring to high levels]"
darkshardx
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Dice Dojo

Post by darkshardx »

Additionally, the judge I learned DCC with in the first place played it as wizards HAD to have a patron.

Thinking on it more, I'm going to start my groups' wizards without a patron, unless they know of one in game and want one. Then I'll find ways to work in temptation from patrons with offers of power. Which makes me wonder about giving new spells. I feel like players would want new spells immediately upon leveling up, but in what I'm thinking it would require a patron for some of the higher level spells. It's definitely something I'll play with as I continue learning to run games.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Wizards don't require patrons, they can learn magic from dusty grimoires, moldy scrolls, etc... It would be a dick move if they needed one, since not all wizards start with the Invoke Patron spell.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Ravenheart87 wrote:Wizards don't require patrons, they can learn magic from dusty grimoires, moldy scrolls, etc... It would be a dick move if they needed one, since not all wizards start with the Invoke Patron spell.
....Unless the judge rules otherwise. In this case, the judge should also make invoke patron a free spell, as it is for elves. Consult page 312 of the core rulebook for details.

That said, forcing wizards to have patrons removes some of the flavor difference between wizards and elves. It is better, IMHO, to entice them into bonding with a patron.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “Magic and Spells”