Rounds vs turns and timekeeping

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

rytrasmi
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Meeplemart

Rounds vs turns and timekeeping

Post by rytrasmi »

I am really new to DCC but so far am pretty confused about rounds/turns and not able to find a clear answer on this board or others.

I think I know what the rules say about rounds and turns (a round is during combat and is 10 seconds long; turn is outside of combat and is 10 minutes long). However, several modules only seem to mention rounds.

E.g., in They Served Brandolyn Red, a random non-combat thing that could happen (page 7) is described as lasting a rolled number of rounds. I found the same issue with Sailors of the Starless Sea, where there are several traps whose effects are described in terms of a number of rounds. These are non-combat things that last N rounds.

I have been winging it, but would like to know what the intent is in these modules and the game as a whole because there is a factor of 60 difference. Does the effect last 1d8 x 10 seconds or 1d8 x 10 minutes?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Rounds vs turns and timekeeping

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Especially when you are talking about things like traps, rounds are important because it tells you how much time the PCs have available, and how many Action Dice they have a chance to use.

Jump down to combat time when small increments matter. You hit the trip wire? This happens. What do you do? One round later, this other thing happens. What do you do now? Six rounds later, a third thing happens. If the PCs act, they can do what they could in 1 or 6 combat rounds before the next thing happens. If they sit around talking for 10 seconds, or for 1 minute, the next thing just happens.

Likewise, when things aren't happening quickly, go to Turns. Combat time rounds up to the nearest Turn.

You can also use time units of Days, Weeks, or longer if time is passing quickly with few things happening that require small increments. No one wants to play an ocean voyage in 10-second increments, or even 10 minute increments. Use the time measurement that makes sense for what is happening in the game.

In part, though, DCC wants you to be able to use the time-keeping system from whatever you were playing before. AD&D 1e? Works fine. 3rd Edition D&D or Pathfinder? Works fine.

For instance: You are travelling for two days across the Unknown Sea when the lookout sights an island ahead and off to port. If the PCs ship approaches, it takes (say) an hour to reach. The wizard casts magic shield before landing in the ship's boat, so we need to know how long the spell lasts, and drop down to turns for exploration. Suddenly, there is an attack! We jump to rounds. When it is over, a PC has fallen, so we stay in rounds to see if he is given magical healing in time. Nope. We can jump back to Turns.

Etc.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

What Raven said.
rytrasmi wrote:Does the effect last 1d8 x 10 seconds or 1d8 x 10 minutes?
If it says rounds, then it's 10-80 seconds of time.

Similarly, there's a trap in Tower of the Black Pearl that activates after 3 rounds. When I've run this, I've just let the players say what the characters are doing and give them 30 seconds of "game time" for that. If they just stand around talking, I take that into consideration if it's talking about the area in question. Overall, it usually works out to a real 30 seconds more or less, unless I'm answering a question in there. When the 30 seconds have elapsed -- BOOM -- the trap springs.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
rytrasmi
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Meeplemart

Post by rytrasmi »

Thanks both of you! This is super helpful.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

rytrasmi wrote:Thanks both of you! This is super helpful.
You are very welcome!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Glad to help. Any other questions, just post 'em!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Avoloch
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Avoloch »

but in combat, ho rounds vs turn work.
if i cast a spen and it lasts for 03 rounds, vs i cast a spall and it lasts for 03 turns?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Avoloch wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:46 am but in combat, ho rounds vs turn work.
if i cast a spen and it lasts for 03 rounds, vs i cast a spall and it lasts for 03 turns?
Combat always "rounds up" to at least 1 turn.

If you cast a spell lasting 3 rounds, it lasts for 3 rounds during combat. So 30 seconds.

If you cast a spell lasting 3 turns, it lasts for 30 minutes, but that is at the most 3 combats.
SoBH pbp:

serendipitous
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by serendipitous »

GnomeBoy wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:00 pm What Raven said.
rytrasmi wrote:Does the effect last 1d8 x 10 seconds or 1d8 x 10 minutes?
If it says rounds, then it's 10-80 seconds of time.

Similarly, there's a trap in Tower of the Black Pearl that activates after 3 rounds. When I've run this, I've just let the players say what the characters are doing and give them 30 seconds of "game time" for that. If they just stand around talking, I take that into consideration if it's talking about the area in question. Overall, it usually works out to a real 30 seconds more or less, unless I'm answering a question in there. When the 30 seconds have elapsed -- BOOM -- the trap springs.
Thanks from me, too, that is super helpful. I'd been thinking in terms of full combat rounds and that would've taken forever so I winged it; but I like this real-time conversion.
" ... the things I am going to say are true and I am a force for truth and goodness, dammit, and I will beat anyone unconscious if they say otherwise."
-- The Angry GM
serendipitous
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by serendipitous »

Raven_Crowking wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:17 am
Avoloch wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:46 am but in combat, ho rounds vs turn work.
Combat always "rounds up" to at least 1 turn.

If you cast a spell lasting 3 rounds, it lasts for 3 rounds during combat. So 30 seconds.

If you cast a spell lasting 3 turns, it lasts for 30 minutes, but that is at the most 3 combats.
Also super helpful! and appreciated here.
" ... the things I am going to say are true and I am a force for truth and goodness, dammit, and I will beat anyone unconscious if they say otherwise."
-- The Angry GM
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

serendipitous wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:34 pm Also super helpful! and appreciated here.
My pleasure!
SoBH pbp:

Return to “Rules discussion”