Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:46 pm 
Gongfarmer

FLGS: Games Plus
Hi, I've scoured the rules and this site for a ruling about interrupting spellcasters and I must've missed it--my apologies. Can someone please clarify whether or not spellcasters can be interrupted if they're hit while casting their spell? If a wizard takes a round to cast a spell then does their spell go off at the end of that round, or 20 segments from the segment they casted it on the prior round? And if wizards are interrupted by taking damage, do they get an opportunity to make a Concentration check to not get interrupted, or is that not part of it?

Or can wizards simply not get interrupted?

Thanks in advance for answering my newbie question!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:56 am 
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

heyscot wrote:
Hi, I've scoured the rules and this site for a ruling about interrupting spellcasters and I must've missed it--my apologies.

Like a lot of other areas this isn't clearly defined and is left for the Judge to make a call. So whatever I write from now on is mostly just my personal way of handling things.

heyscot wrote:
Can someone please clarify whether or not spellcasters can be interrupted if they're hit while casting their spell?

And if wizards are interrupted by taking damage, do they get an opportunity to make a Concentration check to not get interrupted, or is that not part of it?

Or can wizards simply not get interrupted?

There are rules for concentration on page 106. They seems perfect for handling casting interruption.

heyscot wrote:
If a wizard takes a round to cast a spell then does their spell go off at the end of that round, or 20 segments from the segment they casted it on the prior round?

DCC RPG doesn't break down turn into segments. Such small details would needlessly complicate things, wouldn't add anything to the game, and would introduce unnecessary bookkeeping. PC initiative is enough to handle battle order. As for spells with one round casting time: I consider them to be finished when the wizard's next round begins.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:20 pm 
Tyrant Master (Administrator)

FLGS: Bizarro World
Generally, if it takes a round, that's the same as your action, as in "it uses up your whole round," you can do nothing else til next round.

A spell that takes one round, when it's the Wizard's turn, he casts, it happens, effects are applied, and we move on to the next person in the initiative.

But the game is made to bend to the GM, so if you want to introduce segments and greater spell-interruptability, go for it.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com