new player, Grimoire question

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

N0mE
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: The Comicbook shop, Glassboro NJ

new player, Grimoire question

Post by N0mE »

When a player gets a grimoire during character creation, or finds a non specific one.
Is it just a book that wizards & there apprentices are assumed to carry or does it automatically come with information?
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: new player, Grimoire question

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Well, it should damn well include the wizard's spells. :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

It should absolutely provide something useful. Just like anything else generated in character creation, it's part of that's character's stuff. If their dagger is useful, the grimoire should be useful, too.

Is there some other underlying question here...?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
N0mE
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by N0mE »

I guess my question is, when you create a level 0 character with occupation of wizards apprentice.
His Trade Good is a Black Grimoire. Do lvl 0 dudes get a spell with that (I don't think they get spells until reaching lvl 1).
Thus, the grimoire is just a thing that will hold his spells after he learns some at lvl 1.
(yes/no)?
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

This is how I've played it.
ETA: Clarification...at 0-level, it's a book that holds notes about what the "student" is learning. Then, upon reaching first level, if that character survives and take wizard as a class, the notes all come together to be the first spells...

And if you don't take wizard as class, you pass it on to someone else who does.
N0mE
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by N0mE »

that sounds good, thanks.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

To think of a grimoire as "just a book with spells in it" is missing an opportunity.

It's not just spells -- it's full of information about spells, about how/where important material components can be found, about which regents react with which other reagents, about things to do and things NOT to do...

In the modern world, things are very compartmentalized. You may have books on your shelf that deal with all kinds of things,, but each thing is in it's own book.

But a grimoire is THE book the wizard (or future wizard) keeps ALL of the information he needs in! It may stretch to multiple volumes... He may own other grimoires that used to belong to other wizards and sages... It's like a diary as much as a book of recipes for spells.

That begins to scratch the surface of the potential of the grimoire. ANYTHING that a wizard might have written down because it MIGHT be important will be in there, ready to use...

So a Zero-Level character with his own grimoire has KNOWLEDGE at his finger tips. It might be esoteric and uncommon knowledge -- but then sometimes adventures verge upon the esoteric, the strange and the uncommon... :wink:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
N0mE
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by N0mE »

Thanks, that's the perfect way to describe it.

Return to “Rules discussion”