Questions out of idle curiosity for the group think.

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

RexMundi
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Rockheads Comics and Games, Colleseum Games, Noble Knight, Friends Hobby

Questions out of idle curiosity for the group think.

Post by RexMundi »

I know a few of these have been brought up before in other threads but it can be difficult for newer folks to find said threads to read..... So, put forth before the table a few questions that have come about over the last batch of sessions......

Bonus Spells. Just Wizard, or Wizard AND Elf. That being stated, are the Bonus Spells in total, what they are written as (ie: 15 Int granting 1 bonus spell) or is it Bonus Spell PER Spell Level across the board (ie: 15 Int is 1 Bonus Spell of each spell Level known). Finally, No Bonus Spells for Cleric? (Not really that much of a issue considering the versatility of Lay on Hands, Turn Unholy and Divine Intervention)....

Regards...

~Rex
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Re: Questions out of idle curiosity for the group think.

Post by BanjoJohn »

Well. on table 1-1, it specifically says personality for clerics on the max spell level section, so if clerics got bonus spells it would mention it as well.

As for the wizard spells known, it would appear that this table applies when you are level 1, so it would be 1st level spells that you know when starting off, and not have any effect on spells for higher spell levels.
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

BanjoJohn wrote:Well. on table 1-1, it specifically says personality for clerics on the max spell level section, so if clerics got bonus spells it would mention it as well.

As for the wizard spells known, it would appear that this table applies when you are level 1, so it would be 1st level spells that you know when starting off, and not have any effect on spells for higher spell levels.
I allow any Wizard to leave a spell slot empty if they wish in order to save it and potentially put a higher level spell in it when they are able to cast one HOWEVER that Wizard cannot fill this slot with a random roll (As they can at 1st level and with new spell slots when levelling up), they have to find a spell to fill it with themselves. It's rarely more than one spell anyway and most Wizards don't have any bonus spells at all so I'm not fussed if they get an extra higher level spell instead of a 1st level one.
Last edited by Weisenwolf on Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

RexMundi wrote:I know a few of these have been brought up before in other threads but it can be difficult for newer folks to find said threads to read..... So, put forth before the table a few questions that have come about over the last batch of sessions......

Bonus Spells. Just Wizard, or Wizard AND Elf. That being stated, are the Bonus Spells in total, what they are written as (ie: 15 Int granting 1 bonus spell) or is it Bonus Spell PER Spell Level across the board (ie: 15 Int is 1 Bonus Spell of each spell Level known). Finally, No Bonus Spells for Cleric? (Not really that much of a issue considering the versatility of Lay on Hands, Turn Unholy and Divine Intervention)....

Regards...

~Rex
No bonus spells for Clerics; they get more spells anyway and their PER stat already influences Lay hands & turning in addition to the casting and max level.

Although it isn't stated I would assume Elves get the same bonus's. In reality less than 1 in 6 Elves will get bonus spells anyway and a similar number will lose spells.

Quite a lot of the Magic rules only mention Wizards and not Elves so there is fair scope for interpretation if one so wishes.......
RexMundi
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Rockheads Comics and Games, Colleseum Games, Noble Knight, Friends Hobby

Post by RexMundi »

My Elf Players are weighing in on the topic outside the forums .......ever see elf players with torches and pitchforks? In all seriousness though, to me it's apparent Clerics do not get the bonus spells. I've been allowing Wizards to save the bonus spells from a stat in order to adventure for, or learn a spell found during play (so they get, the number of bonus spells listed, but of Any Level when found/learned).....due to the fact that so many patrons have Spellburn set up's and elves have Patron's on speed dial; Elves spellburning seems legit, but I don't feel they should get the bonus spells do to INT weighing in the rest of the elf factors.....

I still think a DCC DM's guide would be a big seller. :D Anyway, since I am stuck doing family socializing stuff for the next hour or so and thus don't get to actually play any DCC this weekend, I suppose I can occupy myself later with converting a few more spells for use from 1st ed....

~Rex......goes back to working on a few class builds as well......
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

This weekend (While my daughter was in her Ballet and Tap claases :? ) I started tabulating he number and total levels of spells at each level and STAT point for the Cleric, Wizard & TA Witch (Which I intend to modify and adpot; I like a good Withcy women :D ) and although I only got half way through the number crunching their are some very odd mathematical relationships emerging which I suspect are going to require a bit of tweaking for my Witch but it is obvious that a Cleric with a decent PER gets so many more spells and spell levels than a Wizard they hardly need any bonus to that number.

In fact I find it rather odd that Clerics are essentially more 'Magical' than Wizards...................

Return to “Rules discussion”