The Low End of the Dice Chain

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

brainszine
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Fun Again Games

Post by brainszine »

The dice chain doesn't go any lower than d3 in the rule book, but I calculate punch and kick damage with even lower (imaginary) dice:
d2
d1
d1/2
d1/4
d1/8

Punches & kicks cause damage determined by Strength:

Strength 3 does d1/8 damage (1 in 8 chance of doing 1 point)
Strength 4-5 does d1/4 damage (1 in 4 chance of doing 1 point)
Strength 6-8 does d1/2 damage (1 in 2 chance of doing 1 point)
Strength 9-12 does d1 damage (1 point, no roll needed)
Strength 13-15 does 1d2 damage
Strength 16-17 does 1d3 damage
Strength 18 does 1d4 damage.

Note that STR modifier is not applied to punch or kick damage, because it has already been taken into account.

Boots or brass knuckles cause +d damage (roll one dice higher).

For example, with an STR is 7 you can do d1/2 damage—On a successful hit, half the time you do no damage and half the time you do 1 point damage, but with brass knuckles you always do 1 point of damage.

Now if I could just figure out how to construct an actual, physical d1/2 dice...
Zargon
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: The Low End of the Dice Chain

Post by Zargon »

No need to construct 'partial' dice, merely use the d100 and roll based on the target probability.
Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!
brainszine
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by brainszine »

No, I'm pretty sure I'd need to design and manufacture a d1 and then cut it exactly in half with a hacksaw. The real challenge will be cutting it into eighths for the d1/8, because I'm bad at math. Luckily, that's the smallest fractional dice. Below d1/8 in the chain is the d0, which I have already manufactured hundreds of and am ready to sell. Any buyers?
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

OH!

I'll take two
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

An interesting thread, but when I get to the low end of the dice chain I stop the progression. Hard for me to imagine what a d(1/8) would look like, let alone finding a use for one. :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

finarvyn wrote:An interesting thread, but when I get to the low end of the dice chain I stop the progression. Hard for me to imagine what a d(1/8) would look like, let alone finding a use for one. :lol:
It looks exactly like a d8: 1/8, 2/8, 3/8, etc. :wink:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

brainszine wrote:The dice chain doesn't go any lower than d3 in the rule book, but I calculate punch and kick damage with even lower (imaginary) dice:
d2
d1
d1/2
d1/4
d1/8

Punches & kicks cause damage determined by Strength:

Strength 3 does d1/8 damage (1 in 8 chance of doing 1 point)
Strength 4-5 does d1/4 damage (1 in 4 chance of doing 1 point)
Strength 6-8 does d1/2 damage (1 in 2 chance of doing 1 point)
Strength 9-12 does d1 damage (1 point, no roll needed)
Strength 13-15 does 1d2 damage
Strength 16-17 does 1d3 damage
Strength 18 does 1d4 damage.

Note that STR modifier is not applied to punch or kick damage, because it has already been taken into account.

Boots or brass knuckles cause +d damage (roll one dice higher).

For example, with an STR is 7 you can do d1/2 damage—On a successful hit, half the time you do no damage and half the time you do 1 point damage, but with brass knuckles you always do 1 point of damage.

Now if I could just figure out how to construct an actual, physical d1/2 dice...
You don't seem to be considering non-lethal/concusion damage...........
brainszine
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by brainszine »

Well, if you must know, here are my complete rules for unarmed combat in DCC:

Unarmed Combat Training

Characters who have never been in a fight are considered untrained in unarmed combat and attack with a dice one lower on the chain (-d). All 1st level characters are trained, as are the 0 level occupations of caravan guard, mercenary, outlaw, and soldier. All other occupations make a Luck roll to begin the game trained in unarmed combat (roll less than or equal to Luck on d20).

Unarmed Combat

Unarmed combat proceeds like regular combat until the final blow, which is a hit strong enough to lower the target's HP to 0 or less. Instead of applying damage, the target makes a Fortitude save with DC equal to the Strength of the attacker plus the amount of damage that would have been done. Failure means being knocked unconscious for however long the GM thinks is appropriate.

Unarmed Damage

The amount of damage done in unarmed attacks depends on Strength. (Do not apply Strength modifier to unarmed damage, since it has already been taken into account.)

Strength 3, Damage 1d8-7
Strength 4-5, Damage 1d4-3
Strength 6-8, Damage 1d2-1
Strength 9-12, Damage 1
Strength 13-15, Damage 1d2
Strength 16-17, Damage 1d3
Strength 18, Damage 1d4

Unarmed Weapons

If you are trained in unarmed combat, then you can also use unarmed weapons such as boots, brass knuckles, dangerous jewelry, and keys or a roll of quarters in your fist. These unarmed weapons cause damage at one dice higher (+d) on the chain. No Strength modifier is applied to these kinds of weapons, since it has already been taken into account.

For example, Garl the squire has Strength 11, so he does 1 point of damage with a punch or kick, but with brass knuckles or boots he can do 1-2 points of damage on a hit. Unfortunately, his Luck is 8 and he rolled a 9, so he's not trained in unarmed combat. With any punch or kick attack he rolls 1d16 instead of the 1d20 he rolls with his long sword.

d30-29, d16-15, d8-7, d4-3, d2-1, d1, d2, d3, d4 →

Return to “Rules discussion”