A few questions

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Yubacore
Far-Sighted Wanderer

A few questions

Post by Yubacore »

Question the first:
The Wizard vs the Elf. Am I missing something or is being an Elf like being a Wizard but way more awesome? There is the iron thing, but other than that the Elf seems way better.

Question the second:
Do racial abilities count at level-0 (Infra vision, smell gold etc.)? It dose say- "race and class are one and the same". So to me it would seem racial perks are ignored till a PC gets to level 1. Thoughts?

Question the third:
When foes cast a spell do they make a check? If they do, can it fumble just the same? Or do they simply cast the spell? Would the spell check going pear-shaped be more deadly to the foe than the PCs?

Question the last:
One of my players is about to go from level-0 to 1, he still has 4 PCs. Dose he level and play them all at the same time? Good lord..

Thank you
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: A few questions

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Yubacore wrote:Question the first:
The Wizard vs the Elf. Am I missing something or is being an Elf like being a Wizard but way more awesome? There is the iron thing, but other than that the Elf seems way better.
Elves also get one less spell, their luck bonuses are very different, plus it's much harder to roll an elf zero level profession, than human. Depending on campaign being an elf might have other disadvantages, like being generally disliked by other races - see Melnibonéans. The iron vulnerability makes it pretty hard for them to find equipment by the way.
Yubacore wrote:Question the second:
Do racial abilities count at level-0 (Infra vision, smell gold etc.)? It dose say- "race and class are one and the same". So to me it would seem racial perks are ignored till a PC gets to level 1. Thoughts?
There is a list before occupations which racial attributes you have on zero level. I don't have the book in front of me, but IIRC the dwarves and halflings have speed and infravision, while the elves have infravision and vulnerability at first level. Didn't bother much with it though, I rewrote the races and threw out the race as class thing for my campaign.
Yubacore wrote:Question the third:
When foes cast a spell do they make a check? If they do, can it fumble just the same? Or do they simply cast the spell? Would the spell check going pear-shaped be more deadly to the foe than the PCs?
People handle monster spells in different ways. Some just add a spell like ability, others use full blown spells. We have examples for both even in the DCC RPG bestiary section. Choose one you prefer, or use both depending on enemy. For example, you can say that the cultists can cast a psychic bolt three times a day that does 1d8 damage and paralyses the character unless he succeeds on a DC 12 Will save, then have a cultist leader that has a full blown spell list and casts spells just like wizards. Don't waste time for the abilities of small enemies and don't forget, that the monsters aren't player characters and don't need to adhere class abilities - they play by different rules, which serve the narrative or is comfortable for the Judge.
Yubacore wrote:Question the last:
One of my players is about to go from level-0 to 1, he still has 4 PCs. Dose he level and play them all at the same time? Good lord..
That depends on the Judge. I let players keep all their characters and even roll new ones, but for an adventure they can only take one or two leveled character with them. The rest stays in the inn chilling, until the other dies or the player chooses to use him for an adventure. It makes campaigns more flexible and colorful.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Yubacore
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Yubacore »

Hey thanks for the response, and answering my questions! I don't know how I missed the racial 0-level traits. Thank you for pointing those out. The Elf and Wizard differences make a bit more sense now, elves are more rare indeed. Also, thanks for clarifying the player to level 1 character ratio. I'm getting worried about these things as I will be running for this years Free RPG Day, I want to be sure I'm confident will all of the ins and outs. Thank you!
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

You're welcome. DCC RPG might seem intimidating here and there, because it lets a lot of questions open and up for the Judge to answer. Don't sweat it, come up with something that works for you.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

elves are more awesome! i wanted to play elf but he got strangled to death by clay golem soldier and i ended with human farmer WHO BECAME THE MOST AWESOME THIEF EVER! thank you funnel!
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

Yubacore wrote:Question the first:
This question comes up a lot, In principal Elves have the same number of spells (previous poster is forgetting the patron spells all Elves start with) as a Wizard and fights better which makes them better right?

It's not that simple though:

first of all because a human character chooses to be a Wizard it is likely he will have at least high average intelligence and many will have above average intelligence whilst an Elf will have completely random intelligence so 25% of them will have below average intelligence around half will be average and only 25% above average. One in 216 will have intelligence 3 and be completely unable to cast spells; how awesome is that Elf :cry: You may also roll awesome Strength or awesome Agility but you can't take full advantage of this stroke of luck and choose to be a Warrior or a Thief like a human can because you are an Elf; a very strong or agile one but still an Elf.

Second an Elf is stuck with a patron whilst a Wizard can choose not to have one; Wizard luck bonus is more useful too and they have that intangible advantage of the unspoken right of the weak to hide at the back of the party which the Elf doesn't have 8) (Halflings have a wonderful intangible advantage which I expect you will experience at some point too)

Thirdly whilst the Elf gets an extra hit point per level and +1 to hit the only other advantage is a better weapon selection. A Wizard could, if he so chose wield a Long Sword and a Longbow and wear armour just like an Elf (without an aversion to Iron/Steel) so whilst the Elf is a better in combat it's hardly the massive margin it's cracked up to be.

And finally remember that play balance is assisted mightily by randomness, you can't choose to be an Elf, you get one or you don't so even if you do get one with adequate intelligence and so on it wont be a common event.

Return to “Rules discussion”