Table 1-2 Luck Score

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

celticgriffon
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Table 1-2 Luck Score

Post by celticgriffon »

Hi everyone,

I have a question on Table 1-2 Luck Score..

The first paragraph on pg 19 (3rd printing) states characters should roll on the chart and add or subtract their 0 level luck modifier.

In a way this limits the table results. A character that has a +1 (or more) luck modifier could never get result 1 - harsh winter result. Likewise a character with a -1 modifier could never get a wild child result.

I think i would rather see this table use a base d30 roll. Or were the results skewed with these factors in mind? Also what do you do if your result is below 1 or above 30 using rules as written?

My apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Table 1-2 Luck Score

Post by Raven_Crowking »

It doesn't mean add or subtract to your roll on the chart, but rather add or subtract your modifier to whatever the roll indicates.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Exactly. The augur rolled gets the add/subtract effect — it's not telling you to modify the roll on Table 1-2 (that's a straight d30 roll).
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
celticgriffon
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by celticgriffon »

Thanks everyone. I guess I find the paragraph confusing.

"After rolling 3d6 to determine a player's Luck score, roll on table 1-2 to determine which roll is affected by the character's Luck modifier. This "lucky roll" is modified by the character's starting 0-Level Luck modifier (for good or bad) in addition to all other normal modifiers. In some cases, the "lucky roll" is completely useless because the character chooses a class where it is not applicable."

I think this might be cleaner if it we changed the first two paragraphs in a subtle way. Here is my attempt:

"After rolling 3d6 to determine a player's Luck score roll 1d30 on table 1-2. This "Birth Auger / lucky roll" will provide an additional modifier to that specific circumstance. This "lucky roll" will always be modified by the 0 Level Luck Ability Score Modifier based on Table 1-1 (for good or bad). The "lucky roll" modifier will never change even if the Luck Ability changes at a later time. In some circumstances the "lucky roll" can also be modified by other normal modifiers as appropriate. In some cases the "lucky roll" is completely useless because the character chooses a class where is not applicable."

Perhaps I was the only one confused here, however. Either way please carry on. :)
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

I guess it all hinges on what you think the "lucky roll' means. But rolling on the chart isn't a "lucky roll", the result of that roll is the "lucky roll", though if you really like the result you rolled you might think of it as a lucky roll...!

signed
Luc E. Rolle
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

Actually 'as written' only around one in four characters actually have a luck bonus, a similar number has a luck minus and the table is utterly irrelevant to half of the characters.

Many people house rule this either giving all characters a blanket +1 or making their own chart up. Mine looks like this:

Luck
up to 5 -1
6-15 +1
16-17 +2
18 +3

This way the birth auger applies to everyone and makes each character a little more unique and characterful rather than just half of them. I also use this for the class related luck bonus too.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Weisenwolf wrote:This way the birth auger applies to everyone...
Well, to be fair, there're still Dwarfs that get a "lucky roll" of increased spell damage, and Warriors that find themselves with a bonus to turning the un-dead...

Not everyone is lucky. :wink:

Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

Good point; well made

On the other hand if the Dwarf is rather clever and manages to read a scroll................

And perhaps the Warrior is devout and able to turn...................

Return to “Rules discussion”