"Burn" for other classes than Wizards?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

celticgriffon
Far-Sighted Wanderer

"Burn" for other classes than Wizards?

Post by celticgriffon »

Hi everyone,

I am not sure if this idea has been posted before. I am still new to the forums.

I was thinking about the concept of Spellburn in DCC and this led me to a thought... What if the other classes could also burn to improve their chance of success?

I understand each Class has its own flavour and character. But what if a Dwarf could burn Stamina? What if a warrior could burn Strength? What if an Elf could burn Agility? What if a Cleric could burn Personality? etc..

Just something to think about. Again, I still haven't GM'd a session and I am still going through the rulebook but I thought I would throw this out to the powers that be.

Cheers,
Michael
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: "Burn" for other classes than Wizards?

Post by GnomeBoy »

There was talk about this before the Beta version came out, if I recall correctly. "Skillburn" was the term used I think, and the idea ran something like...

If you miss your check to jump the chasm, you could burn Agility to make up the difference — meaning that you made the jump, but strained some muscles doing so, and you're not as agile until you heal that up.

Etc.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Nah. That's what Luck is for. :)
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
celticgriffon
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by celticgriffon »

I understand Luck should be the go to stat.

But from bits I am reading it seems Wizards really have the ability to seriously take over compared to the other classes because they can "burn" anything including Luck.

It doesn't have to be fair of course but I was just curious more than anything.

Cheers,
Michael
Stretch
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Stretch »

Yes a wizard can take over by burning stats and luck, etc. But two things to remember:

1) The wizard, after burning all of his stats, is going to be much weaker. And he is going to need protection after all of that. Now if this is a one-shot then it has no true consequences. Or if you tend to not do any encounters after the "big encounter" then, again this may not matter. But the wizard should never know that he is going to be safe from conflict after he burns his stats. Doom of the Savage Kings utilizes this to a degree mid-way through the module, provided they enter the tomb.

2) No matter how much a player burns, if he rolls a one he is in for trouble. He suffers the loss of ability points, suffers corruption and also loses 1 point of ability permanently.

I could honestly see a campaign where I might allow other classes to spell burn. As is now, I do allow clerics to spell burn. To me, a cleric who offers up part of themselves, in addition to the gifts provided from their God, is truly devoted. But the Gods are fickle and rolling a one would indicate that the Gods were displeased in this instance and the cleric must be made to suffer.

Now there is a rule that allows a wizard to burn luck and avoid a corruption roll (not misfire.) If you spell burn I do not allow you to burn that luck point to avoid the corruption. You take your chances when you play with fire. If I were to allow other classes to burn stats I would not allow them to use luck for this either. And I would create a table for other classes similar to corruption. Or use a mutation table. It wouldn't be pretty either way.
-Stretch
If you survive a crucible you grow the stronger for it. - Arrow.
Maddrjeffe
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Maddrjeffe »

Check out the high level fighter crit tables... theres a "burn" hidden in there.

Return to “Rules discussion”